Reload this Page >

Keen Eddie 6/24/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Keen Eddie 6/24/03

Old 06-24-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keen Eddie 6/24/03

Its irreverent, hardly-ever-by-the-book title character is the brash but likable former New York City detective Eddie Arlette (Mark Valley), who's working with London's Scotland Yard. His latest case involves a soccer star (James Murray)---“He's like our Michael Jordan,” Pippin (Julian Rhind-Tutt) says---who's somehow implicated in a shooting. Eddie's determined to hold him for questioning even if it means his missing a big upcoming match.

So what's the consensus for tonight's episode? I thought parts of it were good, though the overall plot wasn't as good as the last few weeks. I'm a big soccer fan, so I can say that that sort of kidnapping plot does happen pretty frequently over there. Same for the witness, as he would've gotten harassed pretty badly in that situation. I still love the character interaction, but I really wish Det. Pippin would get a bit more personality. He was better in the first episode, but he seems to have grown dull. Overall about on par with last week, though not as good as the first two shows.

Did I mention the roommate is freakin' hot?
Old 06-24-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
she looks even hotter next week...

actually, so did that soccer player's wife in tonite's ep...

still...i refuse to get attached to this show...
Old 06-24-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Dammit I didn't even get a chance to start my only weekly thread. Thanks Achtung, at least someone else likes this show, too.

I liked tonight's ep - as usual. I have liked all four so far. And as you said - the character interaction is superb. Great cast, good/funny writing: yep, this show is destined to be cancelled.

We need more Fiona. And more 'Ms. Moneypenny' would work, too.
Old 06-25-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The storyline seemed pretty familiar: I think the Beckham guy and his wife went through a kidnapping scare in England, and he's a famous soccer player. Very "Law & Order" of them.

Did anybody notice how cheesy the cop dialog was? It's the one part of the writing that really irritates me. It's straight from some action movie...a little annoying.

The ratings are absolutely horrible. I should have started taping the episodes...I know I'll never see them again.
Old 06-25-03, 12:42 AM

Not an excellent episode, but still fun. I like the show's style a lot (or maybe it's just the music.) Only four episodes left before the hiatus, so I'm going to enjoy it while I can. Without a ratings miracle, or The O.C. bombing horribly, it won't be coming back.
Old 06-25-03, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was an okay episode, probably the least entertaining of the four so far. The Fiona storyline was a complete waste of time, except for the eye candy. It was her own personal Summer of George (except it was only for a week). And what was up with the marriage troubles of the witness becoming part of the show? Bring back Gay Johnny and One Ball Bill!
Old 06-25-03, 07:53 AM

This show is not breaking any new ground, to be sure, but it is still really great! I hate that it will not last. We look at each other every week and mourn its inevitible end. But I plan to enjoy and appreciate it as long as it gets a run. Hopefully, some of these great character actors will get other good gigs. I would really like to see several of them again. I hate to be a pessimist but the writing seems to be on the wall and if I know anything about American viewing trends there is no way this catches on. Still, BIG BIG thumbs up!!!!

Originally posted by Jlbkwrm
Not an excellent episode, but still fun. I like the show's style a lot (or maybe it's just the music.)
If you like the tunes, go check out the artist behind it.

http://www.danielash.org/

Daniel is a long time favorite of mine who has experimented with styles that just cross the board. He's a brilliant and influential guitarist and a fair DJ. I've really loved the music he's picke and created himself for the show.
Old 06-25-03, 05:52 PM

So could somebody please tell the name and artist of the song that played during the final scene of the show with Eddie and Fiona??
Old 06-25-03, 07:37 PM
mwj

Though I know it's futile I have gotten really attached to this show. Fiona and Eddie have fantastic chemistry. This was another very good episode. The previews from next week look mouth-watering. At least Fiona on the couch does. If there are no new episodes would this have a chance at DVD release?
Old 06-26-03, 01:36 AM

I liked the added tone of seriousness to this episode. It was rather nice.

All I can say is this...that fantasy scene of Eddie's about Ms. Moneypenny/Horneypenny was absolutely INCREDIBLE. Wow...
Old 06-26-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Like I said in a previous thread, this show was intended to start last fall. For some reason it got pushed back to the hellhole of summer prgramming. I hope that a full slate of 13 episodes were made though. That would give the show a fighting chance to return as a mid-season replacement.
Old 06-29-03, 08:57 PM
mwj

That would give the show a fighting chance to return as a mid-season replacement.

Do you mean they would make new episodes or just finish showing the original run?
Old 06-30-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mwj
Do you mean they would make new episodes or just finish showing the original run?
I think they would show some of the remaining episodes, and if they did well, they might order up a new slate of episodes. It's just so hard to gauge a new show when it premieres in the summer. People just aren't watching TV as much this time of year. But then I'm being really hopeful here.

Can anyone think of a summertime debut that went on to be successful (at least 2-3 seasons)?