Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The Dead Zone Season One Box set...HORRIFYING!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-03, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best way I have found to describe the picture quality of this set is HORRIFYING.

I'd like someone to try and explain to me why this release looks so bad. I didn't catch any of the episodes on television but SURELY they looked better than this! There's just unbelievable amounts of noise and artifacting all over the place!

I'll watch them as I am very interested in seeing a series that I have heard nothing but good things about but this transfer I wouldn't wish on any disc! Well, I guess I'd be alright if it was on a disc like Kangaroo Jack but not a box set of a critically acclaimed show!

I'm definitely glad this was only 20.99 (misprice?) on towerrecords.com It was at my local Best Buy for 44.99
Old 06-24-03, 08:48 PM

I guess "horrifying" is a relative term. I wouldn't call the transfers for the Season One set "reference quality", but they are a long way from "horrifying". About average for TV shows on DVD.
Old 06-24-03, 10:11 PM
Banned

I guess I was a little bit harsh...but I was just astonished at some of the block noise, I hadn't seen that much in years. A scene that stood out was (to avoid spoiling) the main event that sets in motion the entire show involving a car and the dark. There was an amazing amount of block noise visible.... I've continued to watch though and things appear to be steadily improving. Episode 3 appeared to be a big step up in terms of quality. This was the way I was expecting it to look. Perhaps it's because much of it took place on the ice skating rink and in light environments instead of dark ones....

Here's hoping episode 3 is the standard the rest of the episodes on the set follow. That being said, this thing has me hooked. I love the show. Once I was completely caught up in the story, I almost completely forgot about the visual shortcomings.

The extras I have looked at (storyboards, documentary on disc one) are very good as well.
Old 06-24-03, 11:45 PM

I agree on the content of the series. I'm most impressed with the writing and (most of the) acting. I've now watched all but the last episode of the set and only found one or two episodes relatively weak.

Anyone know how many more episodes have aired, and if there have been enough for a second season DVD release?
Old 06-24-03, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I noticed the artifacting in the dark regions of the background when I watched this series on my computer. It looks fine on my TV. I think it's because I can get higher contrast on my computer than on my old TV. So, maybe turning down the contrast might help. But, it's probably doing that because of the amount of extras on the discs plus a commentary for every episode. With that said, I got mine for $19.99 ($20.28 w/tax) and it's worth every penny and then some. Great series.
Old 06-25-03, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not that bad at all. folgersnyourcup, what are you playing this back with: DVD player & TV? Over a good progressive scan player and a 16x9 set the image is pretty good. No, this set is far from reference quality, but what TV shows are? This DVD collection looks far better than the image that I experienced during its broadcast airings. Hardware can make or break the DVD viewing experience. I can't wait for SMALLVILLE S1 in September!