Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Fudging Comedy Central (Man Show Censorship)

Fudging Comedy Central (Man Show Censorship)

Old 06-24-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
F**king Comedy Central

I hate censored DVDs! Just got The Man Show S1 V1... They censored even more then when it aired on tv.

DAMN!!!
Old 06-24-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that blows. makes me glad that i didn't pick this up yet.
Old 06-24-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's too bad for you. You should never have bought it and supported their censorship. Now they'll see the sales and think it's OK for them to do this to other shows on DVD.
Old 06-24-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
It's worth noting that Insomniac includes nudity and profanity, from what I've read elsewhere. Insomniac was released through Comedy Central Home Video, whereas The Man Show is being distributed by Eagle Vision. The 'censoring' could be the handiwork of Eagle Vision, Comedy Central <small>(though this seems doubtful, if the comments about Insomniac are true)</small>, Stone Stanley Entertainment, or heck, maybe even Adam and/or Jimmy.

From what I've read on other forums, the audio is uncensored, and two of the three instances of blurred video:

Disc 1 Episode 102 ...unattractive girl on the street who stips down naked has face and private parts blocked out during Jimmy Kimmel's "Will You Have Sex With Me" man on the street segment ***

Disc 2 Episode 109 ...Star Wars geeks faces are blurred out at Phantom Menace opening ***

Episode 106 ...Adam's privates are blurred out when he gets naked in front of his mom on the beach in the night of romance with mom segment
...can likely be attributed to legal clearances. It's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that Adam doesn't want to be shown in his altogether on home video.

I have seen nothing to indicate that anything from the broadcasts has undergone further editing.
Old 06-24-03, 01:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please don't use profanity in thread titles.
Old 06-24-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Might wanna contact Comedy Central and express your desire for an uncensored version:

http://shop.comedycentral.com/helpde...isplay=contact
Old 06-24-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Please don't use profanity in thread titles.
F**king DVDtalk Censorship

I hate censored titles! Just opened this The Man Show S1 V1 Thread...

DAMN!!!
Old 06-24-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I got a prompt reply from customer service when I asked them when the uncesored version is coming out -- that I'm gonna hold on my money till it comes out:
Thank you for contacting Customer Support at shop.comedycentral.com.

Unfortunately, we do not have the capabilities to view the up and
coming inventory that we will be carrying in the future. At this point,
the only recommendation that I have for you is to periodically check
back with our website to see if we are carrying this item. I do
apologize that I could not be of more service to you in this matter.

Sincerely,

Kerri J. -
Customer Service Representative
[email protected]
For best service, please include this message with your reply.
Old 06-24-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's censored MORE??? I watched the first disc (welll, browsed thru it before I went to bed last night) and didn't pick up on more censoring. Care to point out screen specific examples?
Old 06-24-03, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts
After reading the previous thread about this not changing from the edited TV program, I didn't see a point in picking this up. Cool for those that wanted it, though.
Old 06-24-03, 05:55 PM

I just don't understand this. Is there some "original" version of this that is being withheld? Unless there in fact turn out to be edits from what was originally aired, isn't the program on the DVD exactly as it was aired? So how is it "censored"?
Old 06-24-03, 06:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by waskydiver
Well, I got a prompt reply from customer service when I asked them when the uncesored version is coming out -- that I'm gonna hold on my money till it comes out:
It doesn't say anywhere in that response that an uncensored version is coming out. And I doubt one will ever come out.
Old 06-24-03, 08:41 PM

If you're a fan of the Man Show, why not pick it up? If Insomniac was "censored" I would still buy it becuase its a hillarious show. The Man Show is less "censored" than the ones shown on Comedy Central. Who cares?
Old 06-24-03, 08:50 PM

Ive watched the first six episodes, and haven't noticed anything that would make me upset.

That streaker on the "will you have sex with me" was obviouslly not leagally cleared (hence the blurring of her face as well. Perhaps she made an agreement before stripping that they would blur it all out., who knows?)

Star Wars geeks didn't give their consent, obviously.

Adam might have been embarrassed, or perhaps he wasn't even naked, and the blur was added for effect. ( He could have been wearing flesh colored underwear or something)

Maybe there is some nudity in the latter episodes that is blurred, but I don't remember any. what I DO know is that they allowed F bombs, S***, and a** hole, which were all originally censored. For a TV DVD set on basic cable that didn't ever market itself as uncensored, just getting the language unedited is a bonus, IMO.

I'm new here, but was there a big deal made by you guys when the South Park sets didn't uncensor the language?

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.ht...ed-up+werewolf
Old 06-24-03, 08:52 PM
Banned

This pisses me off. I'd like to see alot of those juggies, juggies.
Old 06-24-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hold up, now as of right now as we know, with the exception of the blurring, they are all uncut. Was it later on in the series where they did the all nude "girls jumping on trampolines" segment.
Old 06-24-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
They may not of gotten clearance to show the nudity. I'm not sure how those releases people sign work, but they may state that the nudity will be blurred out.

The Juggies may also have something in their contracts that states their nudity will be blurred. Basicaly it may be impossible to have the DVDs uncensored.
Old 06-24-03, 09:52 PM

I hate censored DVDs! Just got The Man Show S1 V1... They censored even more then when it aired on tv.
that blows. makes me glad that i didn't pick this up yet.
You should never have bought it and supported their censorship. Now they'll see the sales and think it's OK for them to do this to other shows on DVD.
After reading the previous thread about this not changing from the edited TV program, I didn't see a point in picking this up.
What is happening?

cen·sored:
To examine and expurgate.

ex·pur·gate:
To remove erroneous, vulgar, obscene, or otherwise objectionable material from (a book, for example) before publication.
Nothing is censored from the shows. 2 instances of bluring b/c of legal issues and 1 because it was not intended and that Adam was clearing wearing something before the blur comes up. No Juggies are nude in any episodes included.

People are not buying this because of "censorship"? Give me a break.
Old 06-24-03, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched the first two discs and don't notice MORE censoring. Whoever said that must not have watched the DVDs, obviously.

There were two instances I did pay attention to, because I seem to recall censoring the first time around (I may be wrong, so I am sure I will be corrected if that's the case. It has been a while since I saw these broadcast on TV.) First was the guy with the man boobs. I recall his breasts being blurred, and me wondering why since man nipples shouldn't be blurred, but then I see the DVD and see they put band aids on his nipples so what was blurred on the broadcast episode? Like the Adam wearing flesh colored underwear on the beach: it was probably blurred for comedic effect. I doubt Adam was swinging his cock in front of that old lady.

The second edit I recall on the TV show was the adult film star household tip where the girl spilled wine on her shirt, and I recall that being blurred on TV, but we see on the DVD that you never see any nipples under the wet shirt anyway. Again, was the blurring for comedic effect on TV?

I recall far more stuff that was blurred and censored in subsequent episodes as the show (and the audience) became more wild. But for those on the fence about buying this, it's not too expensive, and the shows DO NOT contain the TV broadcast edits.
Old 06-25-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Okay the one instance the I was refering to where they edited the show more then the one that aired is "Sports."

I destinctly remember watching this episode amd at one point two Juggies are boxing and one of their tops falls down, because she's wearing boxing gloves she can't pull it up. I the original aired episode it was one long shot of these two and her nipple slipped out about 3 times. In the DVD they use cut-aways of close-ups on other Juggies, to hide the fact that her nipple was exposed.

And on Disc 3 Bonus Footage the Juggies jumping on the tramp nude was all blocked out. There were also 2-3 other girls that flash on the tramps and they get blocked out.

But I'm still a fan so I'm not going to bitch anymore.
Old 06-25-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
to the originator of this thread ...

Old 06-25-03, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by mikewendt
Okay the one instance the I was refering to where they edited the show more then the one that aired is "Sports."

I destinctly remember watching this episode amd at one point two Juggies are boxing and one of their tops falls down, because she's wearing boxing gloves she can't pull it up. I the original aired episode it was one long shot of these two and her nipple slipped out about 3 times. In the DVD they use cut-aways of close-ups on other Juggies, to hide the fact that her nipple was exposed.
To Paraphrase Ed McMahon... "NO SIR, You are IN ERROR SIR"..

I got out the SVCD's I had made of the original broadcasts (he, it was 1999, DVD-Recorders were still too pricey) and compared that sequence (about 13:10 in) to the DISCS... and NO, it's VISUALLY PRECISELY what was shown on the original broadcast... you never saw the niipple slip after Vanessa laid one on her and made the come loose, that's why she's always got one arm up the rest of the bit... that was not altered...

HOWEVER I spot an ALTERATION in that epidode... the BUMPER MUSIC.

In #114 as broadcast, they used Smashmouth's "All Star" as background music while the Juggies are boxing... on the released discs it's a pure instrumential piece that is 'reminisicence' of "All Star".

SO, there's the one place that alterations have occured.. music clearances...