Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Telluride Bluegrass Festival

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

Just got back from 4 days and nights of music and mayhem. What a blast, great weather (except for rain the 1st day), great music, great fun.

Highlights for me: Allison Krauss and Union Station, the Sam Bush-Mike Marshall-Edgar Meyer jam Sunday night, the Waifs. But all of it was a blast.

If you have never been and like bluegrass, folk music, jam-band music, etc., do yourself a favor and go to telluride. There couldn't be a more spectacular venue...
Old 06-24-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm jealous. I've wanted to hit Telluride for years now but have never been able. So much good music...
Old 06-24-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Did Jerry "God of Dobro" Douglas play at the jam? I've seen him about five times and challenge anyone to name anyone else playing today who is such a complete and utter MASTER of their instrument.
Old 06-24-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Gdrlv
I'm jealous. I've wanted to hit Telluride for years now but have never been able. So much good music...
Ditto...
Old 06-24-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lived in Telluride when I was a surveyor for the BLM. I couldn't stand the place: all of these rich, ignorant ******* kids who have never had a job in their lives and probably never would. They all wear faded Carhartt jeans, destroyed wool sweaters and Tevas, ride around in either range Rovers or brand new (unscathed) merlin mountain bikes and support dubious social causes. the hypocracy/stupidness of the whole scene was truly amazing and annoyed the crap out of me.

Having said that, Bluegrass was definitley the best time of the year. Great music, lots of real people having a good time and an amazing setting.

I think The Dead played Telluride back in the day...what I would have given to be there on that day.
Old 06-24-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
Did Jerry "God of Dobro" Douglas play at the jam? I've seen him about five times and challenge anyone to name anyone else playing today who is such a complete and utter MASTER of their instrument.
He pretty much always plays the festival (and all the jams), and this was no exception. He probably played with 6 or 7 different "acts" over the weekend, including the big sunday night jam (it doesn't get much better than Edgar meyer on bass, Jerry on dobro, Bela on banjo, Sam Bush on mandolin, and Emmy Lou singing...)

Hiro11, the Dead did play in T-Ride, I believe in 1987. I hear what you are saying about the town vibe, although I have known many people who lived there who didn't fit your description... That's why I always chose to live in Durango and visit T-ride.