Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there ever be a musician/band that warrants a subforum here in Music?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Will a musician/band ever warrant a Music subforum
Yes, if The Beatles can do it, someone else can.
9.09%
No, nothing can get through that wall of musical taste.
90.91%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Movie Forum gets a Matrix Reloaded Forum and Other gets a War Forum. Do you think that a musician/band will ever breach the gap between pop fans, metalheads, and the indie-cognoscenti to grace Music with a subforum?

Sorry, I couldn't think of a shorter way to ask.
Old 06-23-03, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Nope.
Old 06-23-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yanni
Old 06-23-03, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Maybe if the Starland Vocal Band puts out a new album
Old 06-23-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jason
Maybe if the Starland Vocal Band puts out a new album
I hear Rhino is coming out with a deluxe edition of their album.

Yeah, a couple of the bonus tracks will contain previously unreleased recordings of the members apologizing for the scourge that they let loose .
Old 06-23-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
RADIOHEAD
Old 06-23-03, 11:26 AM
Mod Emeritus

Perhaps Radiohead, Deftones, Eminem, Tool and Metallica could get a subforum which was then permanently locked. Discussion of them elsewhere would then become absolutely off-topic! [but seriously....]

Films tend to be of more transient interest as compared to bands i.e. who particularly wants to talk about the Fellowship of the Ring today?

If we had a subforum, say, for a new release by one of the above bands maybe occasional "duplicate" threads would not need to be combined and/or locked but I think it would be as much "fun" as was the War Forum....
Old 06-23-03, 01:06 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by benedict
Perhaps Radiohead, Deftones, Eminem, Tool and Metallica could get a subforum which was then permanently locked. Discussion of them elsewhere would then become absolutely off-topic! [but seriously....]
boooooo, hisssssss
Old 06-23-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by benedict
Films tend to be of more transient interest as compared to bands i.e. who particularly wants to talk about the Fellowship of the Ring today?
Oh, I do! Remember when Frodo did that thing, and the other dude was all like, Ahhh!, and Frodo was all like, Wee!, and the other dude was all like shot with arrows and stuff?

That was cool.

Anyhow, you're right about it being transient. When a new work by an artist comes out, most of the discussion is about their past works, and how the new CD fits in, and where it will take them in the future. Plus, many CDs will be talked about forever, be they all time classics or real clunkers.

If a new scene were to explode into the mainstream, the "next big thing", something like the Beatles or even when Nirvana released Nevermind, I could see opening a sub-forum, but not for plain old CD releases.
Old 06-23-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is true about movies, benedict.

I thought the once-they-released-a-cd idea was implicit in the question. Now that I read back over it, I see that it isn't.
Old 06-23-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

streisand
Old 06-23-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Kajagoogoo reunion stadium tour.

Seriously though, not unless John Bonham, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrision & John Lennon rise from the grave.

Oh, and Elvis.
Old 06-23-03, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But why does it have to be past legends making it big? If Lennon or Reed were to come around again, they would hardly have any impact: there are already thousands upon thousands of bands that rip Velvet Underground licks, and even more that are influenced to the nth degree by The Beatles.

It's difficult to think of some new, groundbreaking band coming out of the woodworks. I honestly think it would take a fresh face: not Radiohead, not Tool, not Eminem. I don't know, I just have some hope that it'll happen one day, but there are all kinds of other issues that I think about.

With all the technological advances making the world theoretically smaller (via the internet mainly), it seems that different types of music are all the more available. It's effects, as far as I can tell, do two things: (1) make any sort of groundbreaking music available long before it could really shock a broad audience and, because of the first effect, (2) breed a kind of snobbery among the first exposed, thus making fans close off a band to others.

I guess with all this in mind, my answer is no, as well.