Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Other than the Dark Tower series, will Stephen King ever write a sequel?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of his novels couldn't be continued because of various, obvious, reasons.

1) Carrie
Spoiler:
because Carrie White and her mother, Margaret, die

2) The Shining
Spoiler:
because Jack Torrance and the haunted Overlook Hotel are no more by the end

3) The Dead Zone for the same reasons as stated above in regards to John Smith

4) Cujo (same as above)

Hell, the list will be shorter on the novels where a sequel could be made.

My main curiousity is with the novel The Eyes of the Dragon. I know that Thomas and Dennis appear in The Dark Tower series or in The Talisman, but I don't remember or know for sure. If they did appear, it wasn't for long, and there couldn't have been much of story. They set out at the end of EotD on a quest to find Flagg. Stephen King hinted that they indeed confront the evil Flagg, but is less vague as to whether Thomas ever sees his brother, King Peter again.

How about The Stand? I heard that King has proposed to never write a sequel to this, but then again, he says a lot of things that you should take lightly. When he wrote Nightmares and Dreamscapes, he said it would be his last book of short stories because he's tapped out, and whatever else he did have left over was probably trash. Well, years later he came out with Everything's Eventual, a new book of short stories. I think the title is very apt. I digress...in The Stand, Stuart and Fran trek across the country to Franny's hometown in Maine. Do they make it?
Old 06-22-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go to his official site this is answered. He said that the Dark Tower series will be pretty much be the sequels to any of his books.

Here's a quote: "Actually, I'm hoping to write a sequel to almost all of my novels and you will find those in Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susannah, and The Dark Tower--really in the whole Dark Tower sequence...the Dark Tower books finishes up a lot of business from the other books."

Hoped that helped.
Old 06-22-03, 04:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
A lot of his books and stories tie together and reference each other in some way. For example, the short story "Night Flyer" was a spin-off of SALEM'S LOT.
Old 06-22-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As far as I know after The Dark Tower series is completed then he's done with publishing, so I don't see any sequels or new novels in the near future.
Old 06-23-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as a Shining sequel, i always wanted to know what happened to Danny when he got older (could he have become a Breaker?)
Old 06-24-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
The characters in all his books are interconnected, the reporter in the Night Flyer is the same one in the Dead Zone. The cop who dies in the Dead Zone is reincarnated as Cujo, in fact, several of the books are tied around that town(not Derry, I'm blanking here) that are all tied together in Needful Things.

There was a book published "The Stephen King Universe" that goes into depth on all this.
Old 06-24-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Castle Rock, that's the town.
Old 06-24-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by majorjoe23
There was a book published "The Stephen King Universe" that goes into depth on all this.
That I'd like to check out.
Old 06-24-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
"One For The Road" is a sequel to 'Salem's Lot.
Old 06-26-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There was considerable talk, even from King himself, about doing a novel-length sequel to 'Salem's Lot, but eventually he said too much time had passed for him to do it (whatever that means). I still think it would be a good idea.

Randall Flagg from The Stand also appeared in the Dark Tower series and Eye of the Dragon.
Old 06-26-03, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by majorjoe23
cop who dies in the Dead Zone is reincarnated as Cujo
He is? Did King say this in a book somewhere?
Old 06-27-03, 06:24 AM
Banned

The cop who dies in The Dead Zone is only mentioned in Cujo as the Castle Rock killer. The Sheriff, Bannerman, who investigated the crimes reappears in Cujo. Needful Things was subtitled: The Last Castle Rock Story.

One of the favorite things for me as a Constant Reader of King are these little tie-in's and mentions. He clearly writes these things just for us to notice.

Once Flagg (from The Stand) showed up in The Dark Tower series I was convinced that all of King's books would eventually be connected in some way in the end.
Old 06-27-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I am almost done with the new version of the gunslinger and I am starting to think that it may be somewhat a sequel to the Stand. I need to reread the others though before I make definite conclusion but it is a possiblity.
Old 06-27-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DeputyDave
As far as a Shining sequel, i always wanted to know what happened to Danny when he got older (could he have become a Breaker?)

Whoa. I never thought of that, and I wouldn't put it past King to do this either.
Old 06-30-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think I need to re-read every King book in the order they came out.

Anyone want to join me in this endeavour?
Old 06-30-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I considered that this weekend, then decided against it.
Old 06-30-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm not re-reading them in order, but I have been rereading all of SK's stuff. Here's what I've read so far:

The Bachman Books
Christine
Cujo
The Dark Half
The Dead Zone
Desperation
Different Seasons
Dreamcatcher
Everything's Eventual
Eyes of the Dragon
Four Past Midnight
Insomnia
It
Needful Things
The Regulators
Salem's Lot

I'm currently on Rose Madder. After that, I think I'm going to read Insomnia again. Then I will probably start into the rereleases of the Dark Tower books. I'm sure that won't take me to November, but maybe it'll be close. That concordance thing looks cool too. I'll probably pick that up as well.

X
Old 06-30-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Black House is the sequel to The Talisman, right? Although, I guess technically you might preclude this one because it is a co-author situation with Straub.
Old 06-30-03, 11:40 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I am almost done with the new version of the gunslinger and I am starting to think that it may be somewhat a sequel to the Stand. I need to reread the others though before I make definite conclusion but it is a possiblity.
Gunslinger was written first, so it couldn't really be a sequel. However...

Spoilers ahead...

...the two worlds are definately connected. If you've read Wizard & Glass, you'll know that the world they enter when they get off of Blaine is a parallel world to the Stand that's been decimated by the plague also. I used to think that the world of the DT books was the distant future of the Stand, but it's just yet another world/dimension being destroyed as the Tower is slowly destroyed. If you haven't already, I recommend that you read Insomnia (the pseudo-sequel to It) and Black House. Both books go a long way in explaining how everything fits together.

Sidenote on Insomnia: has anyone else heard of the rumor that the little boy at the end is actually
Spoiler:
Roland's son? The reasoning is that when Susan died, her and her unborn son were both sent to another world ( ala "Go then, there are other worlds than this"), and the kid has the same name as Susan's father. He was also drawing a picture of Roland at one point.
Old 07-01-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I never did finish the Talisman. Is that a must to actually read black house?

I hated insomnia. I don't remember why but when I read it I remember thinking that it was his worst book to date. How much does it really tie in?
Old 07-02-03, 05:30 AM
Banned

Originally posted by bishop2knight
I think I need to re-read every King book in the order they came out.

Anyone want to join me in this endeavour?
I actually do this every five years or so. It takes almost a year for me to read everything in order including the original publications of his short stories. I also watch any movie version available immediately following and before moving on.

Example:

All short stories and poems up until 1974 and their film conterparts and any sequels.

Carrie, then the DePalma film then Rage II: Carrie sequel then the Carrie remake from last year.

'Salem's Lot, the tv mini-series (and eventually the remake), etc...
Old 07-03-03, 02:27 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by cracksky
I actually do this every five years or so. It takes almost a year for me to read everything in order including the original publications of his short stories. I also watch any movie version available immediately following and before moving on.

Example:

All short stories and poems up until 1974 and their film conterparts and any sequels.

Carrie, then the DePalma film then Rage II: Carrie sequel then the Carrie remake from last year.

'Salem's Lot, the tv mini-series (and eventually the remake), etc...
I hope you make exceptions for all those Children of the Corn movies.
Old 07-03-03, 06:43 AM
Banned

I actually do make that exception but only because I don't own any of them.
Old 07-03-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I've decided to start from the beginning. Started Carrie last night.
Old 07-05-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am a fantasy/sci-fi reader. I don't really dig horror, so I don't read Stephen King. Except for his fantasy books, which I have enjoyed. I liked Eyes of the Dragon, and the 3 earlier Dark Tower books. But, I hesitate to finish up the Dark Tower books, because I feel like I miss a whole lot, not having read King's other zillion books Maybe I will give them a read anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.