Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Calibrating Dolby Pro Logic

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-03, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently, I have a DPL system. I was wondering which calibration disc to purchase. I've noticed that only one (Discwasher Ultimate DVD at partsexpress- Part #510-228) has DPL calibration. Does anyone have experience with this disc? (The only other option would be something priced around the Sound and Vision Tuneup; Avia/ Video essentials are out of my price range). The problem with the Sound and Vision is it doesn't have DPL calibration. Any suggestions?
-Thanks
Old 06-22-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
With the new VE coming out, you should be able to find a used one in your price range. I guess I'm confused about the concept of DPL calibration vs. DD. All the discs provide seperate tones for each speaker so that using a sound meter, you can more accurately balance the speaker volume. Once you are playing a movie, it won't matter whether the source is DD or DPL, you'll still want the same balance between those rear speaker so that one doesn't sound heavier than the other.
Old 06-23-03, 03:17 PM

Just use your internal AV Receiver's test tone @ 75 dB (RS Meter Dial = 70 dB / Speed = SLOW / Weight = C)

That is usually more accurate for DPL Video Tapes, Laser Disc and DPL TV Broadcasts like "Enterprise".

If you want to REF Calibrate your DVD setup, you can use ...

DVD Spectacular by Delos International which has DD-5.1 & DPL Test Tones (@ 75 dB) available @ Overstock for $19.59 +$1.40 SH.

or

Dolby Labs - DOLBY DIGITAL DVD DEMO DISC - The Explore Our World DVD demo disc which includes ...

- DD-5.1
- DD EX
- DPL-II
- DPL

... test tones (@ 75 dB) including a dedicated LFE test tone for $20.00 + SH. (w/Bonus Dolby Logo - EZ DVD/CD Opener)

I have both! (including AVIA & S&V HT Tune-up DVD)

EDIT: Corrected: Speed = FAST ... To: Speed = SLOW ... above.

Phil

Last edited by Phil I; 06-23-03 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 06:25 PM

Phil, so you would say that for DPL I can't use the Sound and Vision or the Avia? How are the video portions of the Delos one and the Dolby?
Old 06-23-03, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Doug147
Phil, so you would say that for DPL I can't use the Sound and Vision or the Avia?
That's correct - I'm pretty sure that AVIA and S&V DVD does not have a specific DPL test tones. I'll check the DVD's when I get home after work.

Originally posted by Doug147
How are the video portions of the Delos one and the Dolby?
Delos and Dolby's DVD is primarily an Audio Calibration only DVD, so it does not address the Video Calibration process like Video Essentials, AVIA and S&V DVD's.

VE, AVIA & S&V DVD's includes a Blue Filter strip (AVIA includes Green & Red also) that is used w/associated Video Test Screen so you can calibrate the TV/RPTV Tint and Color adjustment controls.

Phil

Last edited by Phil I; 06-23-03 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-23-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Phil I
Just use your internal AV Receiver's test tone @ 75 dB (RS Meter Dial = 70 dB / Speed = FAST / Weight = C)

Any particular reason you suggest use of 'fast' speed setting, as opposed to the industry-standard 'slow' setting?
Just curious.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 06-23-03, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by DVD_O_Rama
Any particular reason you suggest use of 'fast' speed setting, as opposed to the industry-standard 'slow' setting?
Just curious.

Cheers,
Erik
Opps - my mind said "Slow", but my hand typed "Fast".

My mistake - I corrected my post above.

Phil
Old 06-24-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Phil I
Opps - my mind said "Slow", but my hand typed "Fast".

My mistake - I corrected my post above.

Phil
No worries.

Cheers,
Erik