Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can't figure out my HDTV Receiver (RCA dtc100)

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 06-22-03, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I got a sweet deal on a floor model of the DirecTV/HDTV RCA DTC100 (got it for $100 at a local Radio Shack).

I'm trying to figure out the over the air portion right now. I have a TERK TV55 antenna hooked up to it, and the RCA unit will only go through the channels 2-13, and then recycle back to 2.

Now from what I understand, all of the HDTV signals are on channels 14 and above. Is there some setting I'm missing? How do I get it to go to, say, channel 41?
Old 06-22-03, 02:36 AM

OK, to partially answer my own question here. It has to do witht he receiver scanning all of the channels, and only keeping the ones for which it got a signal. I re-scanned all of the channels, and it picked up a few more, but not all of the ones with a signal (i.e. channel 26 - the Philadelphia CBS affiliate - has one of the strongest signals, but the unit wouldn't "learn" it in its progression of channels).

I can directly put the channels in via the remote (i.e. 2, 6, OK) though. Oh, well, I guess I'll just get around it by programming some macros into my remote control for certain channels.
Old 06-23-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
You sure you have it set for the correct antenna input? You should have ANT-A and ANT-B on the back of the receiver. In the menu, you then set the source (ANT-A, ANT-B, DirecTV). Once you have the right source selected, then try the scan.

Seems like you may have already done this, if you are getting a picture when you go to the channel manually. I do have this same receiver, but I did not have any such problems when doing the channel scan.
Old 06-23-03, 01:39 PM

I think I figured it out. If I go to channel 64, it is the HDTV feed of my local ABC station (which has its standard feed on channel 6). The unit automatically renames the channel to 6-1, and does "save" it in its memory.
Old 06-24-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not being familiar with the Terk line, is the TV55 a UHF antenna? You need the UHF spectrum.
Old 07-01-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How have you hooked this receiver up to your TV? The receiver has a VGA out, but my Hitatchi TV only has a HDTV-DVI input. Is there a cord you can get to do the direct connection there? How do the locals look with the Terk 55? I was going to buy one, but want to make sure the locals look good before I drop the $70 on one. Thanks a lot!

PS, great deal on this unit at Radio Shack, eh? I couldn't believe it!
Old 07-01-03, 08:39 PM

I bought an RCA (brand) VGA --> Component Video converter on ebay for about $55. If you go there looking for one, make sure it comes with the power supply (there's a guy there selling them w/o the power supplies).