Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

So Close?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-03, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Close?

There's a Korean version that clocks in at 110 mins, and features "Widescreen Presentation" and " Digitally Mastered Audio. While the Chinese version sports a 111 mins running time and claims Anamorphic Widescreen and 5.1 Dolby Digital sound. Are they both the same, the running times differing mean anything or just an oversight? Any answers? Thanx.
Old 06-19-03, 09:47 AM

yup they are identical in eveyway, I got the korean version as the covers better.
both released by comumbia and both identical. the R1 and R2 versions will both be out in the not too distant future and will probiobly be a lot better, having special features.
Old 06-19-03, 04:28 PM

An R1 release that actually overshines a R3 release? Is that even possible? How'd they manage to do that, and what makes you think its going to be better?
Old 06-19-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,505 Posts
I'm dying to see this film and am not sure if I can wait for an R1 release. I just wish that the R3 disc was as inexpensive as most HK discs are.
Old 06-20-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well. Glory be.. I just got the Columbia Tri-Star R3 today and watched it.

I will say contrary to some. That I believe the R1 will outshine this. Regardless, I haven't seen the R1 yet.

The R3 is not the best transfer and I was disappointed in the PQ. Some specks and grain. The color saturation wasn't so hot either.

Still enjoyable (yet a bit loooooonnng).

The action choreography is some of the best and most creative I've seen (Corey Yuen really put his all into those scenes). Wow!

Again, I am a bit disappointed in the R3...
Old 06-20-03, 11:09 AM

The reason I think the R1 will be better than the R3 is because R3 never put extras on there dvds because its not worth it to them, but R1 does because it has sense and sells more units, and past history with other co financed asian film which have had extras. Check up on which titles columbia released in R3 and R1 previously and you will see a bit better job in the R1 releases.

I would bet a lot opf money that it will be better than the R3 release.No facts ywt, but it has to have more than nothing.
Old 06-20-03, 11:12 AM

The actual film is poor, some of the worst fights and action scenes of the year, its just not very good at all, in any way, apart from the nice cast. only 3 stars out of 5, mainly for the great cast, not for the poor CGI enhanced action.
Old 06-20-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw a test screening of this and it had some of the most ridiculous dubbing I've ever seen. Hopefully the DVD will have the original language also.

I agree, the movie is not that great, but the cast is superb.
Old 06-20-03, 02:59 PM

From what I can tell, there is no original language.
Old 06-20-03, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrPeanut
Wasn't it shot sync sound in Mandarin (at least as far as the lead actors are concerned)?
Old 06-20-03, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
Wasn't it shot sync sound in Mandarin (at least as far as the lead actors are concerned)?
Sure seems like it. I prefer the canto dubbing of Shu Qi though, her real voice is annoying. BTW, the final action sequences were great (for some reason I had a few Jet Li flashbacks, but it could've been because of the boss man)
Old 06-20-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by axolotls return
. I prefer the canto dubbing of Shu Qi though, her real voice is annoying
That reminds me, I was reading on another forum that one viewer watched the DVD in Mandarin, except when Karen Mok was speaking, then he switched to the Cantonese track (she dubbed her own voice on that track because she's fluent in both languages) as he thought she sounded better speaking in Cantonese. Some people are really picky.
Old 06-21-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MrPeanut
I should have been more clear. It had the most ridiculous English dubbing I've ever heard.
Old 06-21-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts
Originally posted by Romerojpg
The reason I think the R1 will be better than the R3 is because R3 never put extras on there dvds because its not worth it to them, but R1 does because it has sense and sells more units, and past history with other co financed asian film which have had extras. Check up on which titles columbia released in R3 and R1 previously and you will see a bit better job in the R1 releases.
So what happened to the extras on the R1 Big Shot's Funeral that was on the R3 version?
Old 06-21-03, 08:49 PM

no idea devilshalo .

and I was one of the people who switched the soundtrack over when half the cast are dubbem on 1 soundtrack and the other half on the other, it sounded a lot better than badly dubbed single version. Picky and fidley, but at least it sounded right.
Old 06-23-03, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
So what happened to the extras on the R1 Big Shot's Funeral that was on the R3 version?
I don't think there actually were any extras. The case lists a Faye Wong music video but actually, the song just plays under the credits.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hlight=funeral

Last edited by dleedlee; 06-23-03 at 12:13 PM.