Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Way to simulate a PAL anamorphic DVD

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all....

Is there any way to test if my player will play a PAL anamporphic dvd properly? That is, is there any way to burn a test cd (non dvd, since i dont have a dvd burner) to test this?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-19-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What kind is your player?
Old 06-19-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hello...

I have a CyberHome ch-300. I hear that it wont play PAL ana. dvd's correctly -- I just wanted to see how tolerable the stretching is. I am in the market for a CHEAP player that is region free and that will play PAL ana. dvd's correctly. The cyber 300 is so nice, i may be able to deal with it not playing PAL ana. correctly...

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-19-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The CH 300 definitely doesn't convert anamorphic PAL correctly, it stretches it. If you want to see what that looks like, you don't need to have a PAL DVD. Just set the player to 16:9, Wide, etc.. for the TV type and put in one of your regular anamorphic DVDs. Make sure it's anamporphic! What you'll see is the same result as playing an anamorphic PAL DVD.

This assumes you're using a standard 4:3 TV set. If you're using a widescreen or a Sony Wega w/ 16:9 enhanced mode (or any other 4:3 TV with that feature for that matter) then the stretch won't make a difference as it will display properly on your TV.
Old 07-07-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So as long as I have a widescreen TV then the movie will look fine? I was looking into getting one of these players, but the stretching of the anamorphic PAL turned me off. As long as it won't stretch on my TV though, I'm fine?

My model is a Toshiba 57H83 (widescreen)
Old 07-08-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pretty much, yeah. There may be some other oddities to the conversion process, but it won't be stretched on your screen.

People say the player stretches the movie, but that's not quite the case. What happens is that many players have 1 chip on board that is responsible for both letterboxing anamorphic material on a 4:3 TV, and doing the PAL > NTSC conversion. It can't do both at once, it can only do either/or; so it does the conversion and skips the letterboxing. The effect is the same as having your DVD player set to use a widescreen TV. So, if you have actually do have a widescreen TV, or a TV w/ anamorphic squeeze (like a Wega) then there's nothing to worry about.