Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Region 1 Superiority??

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Region 1 Superiority??

Old 06-18-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Region 1 Superiority??

Hey all....

Ok, I just now have the capability to play DVD's from any region. Now aside form boots, are DVD's from other regions just as good (sound quality, picture quality) as Region one (American) DVD's. I, for some reason, have it in my mind that all non region 1 dvd's are inferior in quality.... Also, what other regions are in all englishj (example, no foriegn text on the cover, etc)..

Thanks,

Matt
Old 06-18-03, 12:50 PM
Cool New Member

DVD Comparisons by region

Welcome to the world without region encoding!

I have found that site to be invaluable in determining which versions to get and which to avoid. Good luck.
Old 06-18-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by KillerQ
I, for some reason, have it in my mind that all non region 1 dvd's are inferior in quality
There's no reason for you to have that in your mind. Commercial DVDs from other regions are just that -- DVDs that are encoded to play in other regions.

There are several sticky threads at the top of this forum that should answer most of your questions and get you started.

(If you're an Evil Dead fan, pick up the Region 3 Army of Darkness DC and compare to the Region 1. That'll cure your 'inferior' perception pretty quickly! )
Old 06-18-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Region 1 Superiority??

Originally posted by KillerQ
Ok, I just now have the capability to play DVD's from any region. Now aside form boots, are DVD's from other regions just as good (sound quality, picture quality) as Region one (American) DVD's. I, for some reason, have it in my mind that all non region 1 dvd's are inferior in quality.... Also, what other regions are in all englishj (example, no foriegn text on the cover, etc)..
Welcome to the darkside Hope your wallet knows what it is getting into

I originally had my concerns about non-region 1 DVDs too, but the majority of non region 1 releases are superior..not only in content but quality. I find Japanese (R2) discs to be superior most of the time (on japanese movies..dont know about us released movies). You will find a lot more of the releases outside of R1 are Anamorphic Widescreen as well as uncut.

As far as english text on the cover, Region 2 (UK) and other regions that release US movies tend to have english text on the cover, atleast for the movie title.
Old 06-18-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by bboisvert
(If you're an Evil Dead fan, pick up the Region 3 Army of Darkness DC and compare to the Region 1. That'll cure your 'inferior' perception pretty quickly! )