Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Driving to NYC/NJ to buy Samsung DLP - please help

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have already made my mind that I am going to get the Samsung HLN507W or 5065W. My local Circuit City and Best Buy won't budge in bargaining over the price. I have read somewhere that electronics' prices are better in NYC and NJ. I am in DC and I wouldn't mind driving 4 hours to get there to save myself $600 or more. I have some questions and I would really appreciate it if someone could help.

1. Do smaller electronic store, like PC Richards, have advertised price in newspaper? Or do I have to go there and haggle with them?

2. What is a good place within the NYC or NJ area to purchase a TV?

3. Are the smaller NYC/NJ stores authorized dealers? I.e., will I get the full manufacturer warranty?

4. What about their return and exchange policy?

5. Does Circuity City or Best Buy in NYC/NJ price match with smaller local electronic store? If yes then that would be the ideal scenario. Price match at a CC or BB there and bring the TV home. Based on my understanding, CC and BB have nationwide return policy. Thus, if something goes wrong, I could return/exchange it locally.

Any input is truly appreciated.
Old 06-17-03, 06:33 PM

Just got the Samsung HLN437W a few weeks ago from Circuit City and have price matched it with PC Richard’s price. The reason I didn’t go with PC Richards was that the TV was back-ordered. Circuit City gave me no qualms in matching their price. They even shipped the TV to me for $40. If there’s another Circuit City in your area, I would suggest trying them out because their policy is to price match competitors. It’s odd that they’re not doing this for you, especially in the DC Area.

To answer your questions
1. Smaller stores like PC Richards will give you the product for what it is advertised for in the paper. They “usually” don’t haggle over the advertised price. You may be able to talk them down in price somewhat as well (and possible price match).

2. Good places in the NJ/NYC area to purchase TVs range from your standard Best Buy and Circuit City to Harvey Electronics (although you will pay top dollar), J&R Music, and also B&H Photo in New York City. '

3. I’m not sure about the smaller places being authorized dealers, but as long as you buy the TV from a legit place and it’s factory sealed then you should get the manufacturer’s full warranty.

4. You’d really have to check with each store for their policies on return/exchanges. I know that Circuit City has a policy of taking the TV back in 30 days if you are no satisfied with it.

5. Your theory on buying the product in NJ/NYC and returning it in your area if there’s an issue should work fine. The bigger places (chains) shouldn’t give you a problem at all with stuff like this.

Send me over an email if you're looking for individual places in Central NJ to shop for (and/or their locations). The funny thing is that when I ordered my television it was coming out of a warehouse in Maryland. Don't know if it was just for the 43" model or all of them.

Good luck
Old 06-17-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by *RG3*
If there’s another Circuit City in your area, I would suggest trying them out because their policy is to price match competitors. It’s odd that they’re not doing this for you, especially in the DC Area.

He didn't say they won't pricematch. If I read him correctly, he just thinks he'll get a better deal in the NYC area than he would here.

The funny thing is that when I ordered my television it was coming out of a warehouse in Maryland. Don't know if it was just for the 43" model or all of them.

It's all of them. CC's main east coast warehouse is in MD.
Old 06-17-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
J&R has always been willing to haggle with me and I have had good luck getting them to match most low prices simply by asking. Hell, they'll haggle on the phone and then you could drive up to get it.
Old 06-17-03, 09:15 PM

Thank you so much for the comments. I think that I have to start reading the NY Times now and collect the ads. Or is there any other papers that you guys would recommend?
Old 06-17-03, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by hoyalawya
Thank you so much for the comments. I think that I have to start reading the NY Times now and collect the ads. Or is there any other papers that you guys would recommend?
You'd be better off reading the NY Post since that's where you'll find the most electronics ads. I believe you can read the Sunday ad fliers online at NYPost.com. You can also check Newsday, which is the local Long Island paper.
Old 06-18-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigPete
J&R has always been willing to haggle with me and I have had good luck getting them to match most low prices simply by asking. Hell, they'll haggle on the phone and then you could drive up to get it.
What he said. J&R rules.
Old 06-18-03, 08:24 AM

Another to consider are the taxes. NYC residents now have a sales tax of 8.625%. If you could get it for a good price in NJ, I would suggest buying it there.
Old 06-18-03, 08:44 AM

I would call these places up to see if they have availability before you waste your time up here. Check J&R's website and see what the price is (http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.p...359&showcase=t) Call them and see if you can haggle for a better deal. If you agree on something check out what shipping is and you can avoid paying a tax if you ship it down to DC when you purchase from a nyc only store. Also if you drive from DC (assuming a SUV to fit this monster) you will be wasting plenty of $ on gas and time.

Last edited by neiname; 06-18-03 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-18-03, 09:00 AM

Another to consider are the taxes. NYC residents now have a sales tax of 8.625%. If you could get it for a good price in NJ, I would suggest buying it there.
I guess that buying over the phone makes more sense then. 8.625% of $3,000 is almost $260 already and that amount should be more than sufficient for shipping.

Also if you drive from DC (assuming a SUV to fit this monster) you will be wasting plenty of $ on gas and time wasted.
My friend has a giant SUV and he has agreed to drive up with me should I decided to get one. Assume that his SUV gets 14 mpg. NYC is about 240 miles away. We would need about 35 gallons of gas for the round trip. Regular gas here is about $1.50 per gallon. So the gas cost alone is about $52. I will also likely have to pick up the tabs at IHop or Denny's along the way. Buying over the phone is quickly becoming a better option.
Old 06-19-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
You might want to browse through www.salescircular.com