Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Great news for Music Video/Spike Jonze fans

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news for Music Video/Spike Jonze fans

It was announced today that all of Spike Jonze's music videos, and commercials will be released on a single dvd collection in August!

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/st...-17421,00.html

HOLLYWOOD (Zap2it.com) - Director Spike Jonze ("Adaptation," "Being John Malkovich") is compiling a collection of his music videos, short films, commercials and "other extras" on DVD. The disc, titled "The Work of Director Spike Jonze," will be released on August 26 as part of Palm Pictures' new venture, The Directors Label, a director-created and compiled DVD series.

Future releases will follow on a monthly basis and will feature the work of acclaimed video and commercial directors Chris Cunningham and Michel Gondry ("Human Nature").

Each release will be specially packaged and contain a 52-page book full of never-before-seen photographs, storyboards, drawings and interviews.

"Michel and I have been talking about this forever," says Jonze. "A couple of years ago we talked to Chris, which got us motivated."

Jonze's music videos include the Grammy Award-winning Fatboy Slim clip "Weapon of Choice," which features Christopher Walken dancing through a hotel with wild abandon; and Bjork's "It's Oh So Quiet," a Busby Berkeley-inspired song and dance. Jonze also directed the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" and Weezer's "Buddy Holly."

"The Work of Director Spike Jonze" will also include three 30-minute-plus documentaries: "Torrance Rises," the story of Richard Koufay and the Torrance Dance Community's preparation and performance at the 1999 MTV Music Video Awards with Fatboy Slim; "Amarillo By Morning," documentary about rodeo riders in Houston; and "What's Up Fatlip," a film about former Pharcyde member Fatlip.

The French-born Gondry is known for his collaboration with Bjork, having directed six videos for the Icelandic pop star. He has also helmed videos for the Rolling Stones, Beck, Radiohead, the Chemical Brothers, the White Stripes, Daft Punk, and the Foo Fighters.

He is currently wrapping up his second feature film, "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," written by frequent Jonze scribe, Charlie Kaufman.

London-based Chris Cunningham is known for his creative use if visual effects in music videos such as Aphex Twin's "Come To Daddy" and Bjork's "All is Full of Love." "The Work of Director Chris Cunningham" will also include new unseen versions of his art films "Flex" and "Monkey Drummer."

Additional Directors Label volumes in the ongoing DVD series are slated for release in spring 2004.
I am very excited for all of these releases. All of the music videos by these three directors are phenomonal.
Old 06-17-03, 04:17 PM

Future releases will follow on a monthly basis and will feature the work of acclaimed video and commercial directors Chris Cunningham...
London-based Chris Cunningham is known for his creative use if visual effects in music videos such as Aphex Twin's "Come To Daddy"
Excellent!

And to have Buddy Holly on DVD, too. I'll be picking this series of DVDs up for sure.

BTW, if anyone can't wait until Aug. for the Bjork videos, They are now all available on one DVD "Bjork: Greatest Hits: Volumen 1993-2003". (or you can buy 'Volumen Plus' at a reduced price if you already have the first release of 'Volumen')
Old 06-17-03, 04:33 PM

Originally posted by Tscott
(or you can buy 'Volumen Plus' at a reduced price if you already have the first release of 'Volumen')
Thanks a ton Tscott. I own Volumen and love it, and I never even knew Volumen plus existed!
Old 06-17-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's great, I'll definitely get it. But I was mistakenly under the impression that Jones did Weezer's Undone - The Sweater Song. Guess not.
Old 06-17-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Buttmunker
That's great, I'll definitely get it. But I was mistakenly under the impression that Jones did Weezer's Undone - The Sweater Song. Guess not.
He did. All his videos are listed at the following link:

http://cooldirectors.imess.net/Spike...eo_credits.htm
Old 06-18-03, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Great news for Music Video/Spike Jonze fans

Originally posted by Abranut
It was announced today that all of Spike Jonze's music videos, and commercials will be released on a single dvd collection in August!
The disc will include a selection of Jonze's work, not his complete videography.
Old 06-18-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

**** Spike Jonez... I mean I love his stuff, I really do. BUT WERE TALKING CHRIS CUNNINGHAM!!! Now there's a true visionary. A lot of people haven't seen his ****, but they always remember when they do.

I've so been wanting to see "Flex" and "Monkey Drummer" for a long time now, I can't wait for this dvd! Let's just hope they include Aphex Twin's "WINDOQLICKER" and Squarepusher's "Come on my Selector"

Last edited by Heliosphann; 06-18-03 at 02:45 AM.
Old 06-18-03, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I always loved his music videos. They were all so revolutionary when they came out. I was ecstatic when the Beastie Boys anthology was put out by Criterion because it had the Spike Jonze videos, and now I get to have all of 'em! I will be happy to add this to my collection.
Old 06-18-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, then, I suppose we don't know what the entire contents of the package will include.
Old 06-18-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts
I'm surprised that Spike Lee hasn't sued this guy yet...

Old 06-18-03, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Windowlicker, now that's a great music video if I ever did see one.
Old 06-18-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool, I like most of those songs. I wouldn't just buy them for the cool videos.
Old 06-18-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So many Spike Jonze videos, 1 DVD.

I'd select the following videos to include in the set (although I haven't seen every one he's done):

"Buddy Holly" Weezer
"California" Wax
"Cannonball" The Breeders
"Da Funk" Daft Punk
"The Diamond Sea" Sonic Youth
"If I Only Had A Brain" MC 900 Ft. Jesus
"It's Oh So Quiet" Bjork
"100%" Sonic Youth
"Praise You" Fatboy Slim
"Sabotage" Beastie Boys
"Sure Shot" Beastie Boys
"Undone (The Sweater Song)" Weezer

Last edited by jmj713; 06-18-03 at 04:46 PM.
Old 06-18-03, 05:53 PM

CHRIS CUNNINGHAM VIDEOS on DVD finally!!!!
Old 06-18-03, 08:57 PM

i didn't realize he did shady lane for pavement. killer
Old 06-19-03, 05:34 AM

I'm really excited for Michel Gondry's stuff as well. He has directed some truly bizarre and innovative videos.

Check out Bjork's "Bachellorette" or Foo Fighters' "Everlong" and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Chris Cunningham's stuff for Aphex Twin is amazing too. Check out "Come to Daddy" (truly creepy) and "Windowlicker" (creepy in an entirely different way).

Last edited by Abranut; 06-19-03 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-19-03, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by Abranut
I'm really excited for Michel Gondry's stuff as well. He has directed some truy bizarre and innovative videos.
Thanks for pointing that out. The name wasn't one I was familar with, but I am of the opinion that Bjork's "Bachellorette" is simply the best music video ever created. Amazing that I didn't put a director's name to that video before now.
Old 06-19-03, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
This is so sweet. I can finally have at least one Chainsaw Kitten video on DVD.
Old 06-19-03, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Cusm
This is so sweet. I can finally have at least one Chainsaw Kitten video on DVD.
I highly doubt that will be one of the ones picked if they are in fact not including all his videos (which they should include them all).

I would prefer Connie I Found the Door, but I don't know who even directed that.

I hope it does show up on this disc though, you can never have enough Chainsaw Kittens

Edit: Cusm, just noticed that you are from OKC, isnt that the Kittens hometown? Must have been able to see them a fair number of times..lucky. And is your name for the band Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine?

(sorry for the OT edit )

Last edited by fnordboy; 06-19-03 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-19-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Officially they are from Norman, 10 minutes south of OKC. I have been seen them several times. Tyson Meade (lead singer) used to work at a record store I would frequent so I have talked with him on numerous ocasions. I just missed him the other night at a local pub, I didn't find out until the day after.
And yes that is where my name is "barrowed" from, I guess you are one of the other 3 people who know who they are.

Sorry for the OT.
Old 06-19-03, 03:09 PM

I hear Mark Romanek is also working with Palm Pictures on a Director's Label DVD set of his own. At this rate, I'll be buying them all!
Old 06-19-03, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Cusm
Officially they are from Norman, 10 minutes south of OKC. I have been seen them several times. Tyson Meade (lead singer) used to work at a record store I would frequent so I have talked with him on numerous ocasions. I just missed him the other night at a local pub, I didn't find out until the day after.
And yes that is where my name is "barrowed" from, I guess you are one of the other 3 people who know who they are.

Sorry for the OT.
Very cool, I unfortunately never got to see them even though they are one of my favorite bands of all time. Been a fan for a loooong time. Still need to find Tyson's solo album though...any ideas on a place that might have it instock still?

Big fan of CUSM too, and yes CUSM fans are few and far between, I think I have met one other in the over a decade of me being a fan. But the same goes for the Kittens, over here there are very very few fans let alone people who even know who they are.
Old 06-20-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You might be able to get it at Amazon still, but I would recomend any Kitten fan own this CD. It is one of my favorite CDs of all time. It is more mellow, but very impressive. This and their self titled are my favorte Tyson/CK works, but I love everything he/they have done.
I hate that The Flaming Lips(whom si also good) are veiwed as the only band to come out of OK. The Nixons (also from Norman)claimed Dallas as their home town, which is funny as I used to hang out with them in Norman when they were called I.T.A.A.
Old 06-20-03, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DavisDVD is reporting that this (the Spike Jonze release) is a 2-disc set. IF that is in fact true, then I would think it will include ALL of his videos.
Old 07-12-03, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As we are getting fairly close to August..any more news regarding this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.