Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

EB.com or Gamestop.com Used games..anyone buy'em?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I just picked up a Dreamcast (sold my launch DC to raise funds for my Xbox) and am looking to rebuild my library. I've found a few used games at B&M Gamestops and Game Crazy's, but they aren't generally in that good a condition.

Have any of you bought used games via their websites? I know Gamestop guarantees their games to work, but what about EB? Are they in generally good shape. Or are there other sites that would have quality used DC games?

BTW, anyone who may want brand new copies of Space Channel 5 or NBA/NFL series of games for the DC you might check out your local Toys R Us, they were only $9.99. But, Quake III was still $35
Old 06-17-03, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only bought about 10 used GBA games through EB, in addition to 1 gamecube game. Box looked as if it went through a few hands since it wasn't looking that new (I know, this is a used game!), and the game had markings on the top with marker.

The GBA games pretty much all came with no box/docs.
Old 06-17-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've bought games online at ebgames.com and with their 20-30% off deals they're a great bargain. I was also impressed with the condition of the games. The cases looked brand new, no tears, same with the instruction manuals, most look like they've never been opened(!) The discs were fine too, no scratches - it worked just like it said on the box

I've never had any problem with Gamestop instore stuff either, but then again I'm not too picky - as long as the game works and there's not like, a used hypodermic needle in the box I'm happy

Of course, someone else will most likely have some sort of frickin' horror story...
Old 06-17-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Buying preowned games at ebgames.com or gamestop.com, you are not guaranteed the original box or even instruction manual. If you read the blurb with each preowned game, it tells you this. Basically you are only guaranteed the disc(s), that's it.

Personally I would never buy a preowned game unless it had the original box and instructions. That's why when I want to buy a preowned game, I always buy it at a B&M store so I can make sure I get a box, instructions, and a disc that is not too scratched up.

I always like to look at a product before I buy it, if it's used/preowned.
Old 06-17-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I bought a couple NES games and a couple SNES games from ebgames. Three were in great shape, one had a torn label. I got them for much cheaper than I could have elsewhere though, so I was satisfied.
Old 06-17-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Joshic is right. So it's all by the luck of the draw, some games can come in near mint conditions, or with disc only in a paper sleeve that's scratched to hell...
Old 06-17-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Well, I'm guessing I'm gonna have to take my chances. Many of the games I want (Ecco, Wacky Races, MDK2, SF Rush 2049)I can't find at local stores in decent condition.

Although, I did find Space Channel 5 brand new at Toys R Us
Old 06-17-03, 08:58 PM

I guess I'm the unlucky one. Bought three games from them online and had a 2/3 fail rate.

Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC) - locked up EVERY time within 2 minutes of play... tested, psshaw!

Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GB) - battery dead, saves are erased on power off... this testing process must be very stringent..

Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GB) - so far so good, but honestly haven't had a chance to check it out thoroughly..

I figured I could stop by the store at the mall to exchange these to avoid having to send it back via mail and get a replacement a few weeks later. Apparently that's against their policy (tho I b*tched enough to get them to make an exception).

To add insult to injury, all of these were disc/cartridge only, no box/manual. Argh...........