Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD Players and *No* Headphone jack!?!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVD players without a headphone jack!

I went to purchase a DVD player last weekend. I was replacing my 1998 Panasonic A-310. I was shocked by the lower prices and the number of choices. However, I was greatly disturbed by one new phenomenon. None of the players for sale at B*st Buy had a front headphone jack. Since most people buying these cheaper DVD players probably don’t have a home theater setup, how are they supposed to enjoy “virtual surround sound” without headphones? The answer is, they won’t! Well it’s obvious this cheapening of the players has manifested itself in a truly strange way. Now, for the most part, people of lesser income will be denied wonderful surround sound through a digital headset. Not I! I went to a high-end electronics store and bought a player that runs about $500, same price as my first Panasonic, and it has a large headphone jack. BTW, I live in a small apartment and Home Theater isn’t an option. Headphones are essential. Thank God for RCA, Samsung and DENON. They know when a feature (surround sound) is rendered useless, and when a feature (a headphone jack) is absolutely essential for many consumers.

Anyone else find themselves in a similar situation?
Old 06-17-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True, but you can also buy a complete home theater setup for less than a good set of headphones.
Old 06-17-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: DVD Players and *No* Headphone jack!?!

Originally posted by Duality
Since most people buying these cheaper DVD players probably don’t have a home theater setup, how are they supposed to enjoy “virtual surround sound” without headphones?
I agree with the above post. "Basic" home theatre packages are very cheap nowadays. But anyway, what makes you think that "most" people buying low end or "cheaper" DVD players won't have a home theatre system? Even if they don't, won't most people just hook up to their TV speakers? I currently have 4 DVD players in my house, and not one of them have ever seen a pair of headphones.

(BTW, as a PS to this, Panasonic still makes players with headphone jacks. My RP91 has one.)
Old 06-17-03, 09:56 AM

unless you're sitting really really close to the screen .... i'm guessing you'd have wireless headphones. in that case... can't you just use the regular audio out's? I know I could on the wireless set I had a few years ago...

heck... for that matter.... isn't there an adapter you can get for regular wired headphones to use the regular audio out's?
Old 06-17-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, good point. I use my headphone jack quite a bit and don't think I would have necessarily paid attention to seeing if a new player had a jack on it before I bought it.

pdjennings, my headphones have about a 6' cord on it, and I plug that into a 10' extension.
Old 06-17-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Standard Built-in TV Speakers...

You cannot experience virtual surround sound with TV speakers. Headphones are the appropriate way to hear Dolby Digital 5.1 without the necessary home theater equipment.
BTW, friends of mine have a home theater setup and I believe the headphones I own provide a better listening experience! Once more, if you’re listening to a DVD player plugged directly in to a stereo television you are missing a lot of the audio.
Old 06-17-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

$500 just to get a DVD player with a headphone jack? Why not a cheap DVD player along with a cheap home theater system (I believe you could get both for under $500). Then plug your headphone in the jack on the receiver from the home theater system. That's the route I would have gone.
Old 06-19-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would rather have one leather couch than a living room full of plastic furniture!

I don't want a "cheap" anything. Besides, as I stated above, I live in an apartment and a loud home theater is the last thing I want!

BTW, the point I'm trying to make is that you *shouldn't* have to buy a receiver or anything else in order to hear the virtual surround sound almost all DVD players brag about. Inexpensive $80 DVD players *should* have a headphone jack. It's obvious to me.
Old 06-19-03, 05:30 PM

Why not just plug your headphones into your receiver? Seriously, am I missing something here?
Old 06-19-03, 08:43 PM

the point of DVD is great picture and sound...headphones dont = great sound, hence most manufacturers leave it out. I live in an apt and have a B&W surround sound system...never a complaint, just dont max out the sub (or dont use one at all)
Old 06-19-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was under the belief the the virtual surround from a DVD player was for two channel stereo from regular speakers. I wasn't aware that you could get the same effect from headphones where you don't have the spaciousness of the rooms accoustics to fake it. I do know that certain discs have a special audio track for headphone use to create this effect.
Old 06-20-03, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by discostu1337
headphones dont = great sound
You must not be using very good headphones.

I really enjoy using headphones. I find the details of the sound are much clearer than using the speakers.
Then again, I do have Bose speakers
Old 06-20-03, 05:28 PM
Rest in Peace

You want Dolby Surround in headphones

I am the guy who has 8 Virtual Listening Systems brand wired remotes hooked up to *everything* that has sound. I use PQ www.denon.com AHD-750 20 Ohm low impedence for dyamite bass. I first bought this item from a Home Theater article in 1994, the last year I paid Disturbing the Peace fines.

How it works you connect your red and white 'phono' jacks to the red and white and transformer, then run the lines to where ever you want to use them. No batteries are eer required, you have 3 DSP (Digital Signal Processing) modes Theater, Club, or Hall. You have 2 1/8 inch jacks for up 2 sets of headphones, for two people. the other that is listening has choice of all above to customze the sound that 2 people like.

I am single so I only use one set of PQ headphones, the 8 that are online are for 4 DVD players, 2 CD changers, 1 VCR and one from the HDTV out. I can hear Monaural, Stereo or Dolby Pro-logic AKA English DD2.0 Surround, I down mix 5.1 surround to pro-logic also.

Mr. Brent Butterwort a columnist told us about it saying you have to try them, he can be reached at [email protected] for proof or got www.google.com get images them type in Sennheiser DSP-PRO, VLS makes them for Sennheiser puts their name on.

Headphone jack from DVD produces stereo only, you must have a dolby decoder? I have been using for 9 years is one heck of a lot better than stereo. Tinny TV speakers you can only get stereo with are not going to get you Dolby Surround, one of the moderators in the AVS forum (Larry Davis) uses them to hear his wide screen DVD movies.

Proof go to google or do a search engine search on the Haas effect or Toltect processing. What it does it *fools* your brain into thinking it has 2 virtual ears in the back of your head that you perceive to be real! NO LOL