Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Half Life owns me

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-03, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Half Life owns me

Well, I'm on "Power Up" right now.

It's 4:00am here and I had been playing since midnight.

Time sure does fly when you're having fun.

Not that I'm any good at the game. Thank God for quick saves. And that you are able to save anywhere, anytime.

My wife complained that she couldn't sleep because I was shooting anything that moved so I've been playing the game with my headphones on.

And that really intensifies the experience.

I actually jumped once when I began to climb into a vent and one of those little bean bag creatures screamed and jumped at me.

Scared the **** out of me.

I'm not really into first person shooters because I'm not good at those games. I really prefer third person games.

But, Half Life is the exception. This game ****ing rocks!

And it is all thanks to all of you who highly recommended this game.

I got the Platinum edition(which includes all five games) for $20.99 at Newegg.com with free shipping. Figured, hey, what the hell, if I don't like it I can always ebay it.(checked newegg. Game's now $25, still free shipping though)

Thanks people for recommending the game.
Old 06-07-03, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Just wait till Half-Life 2.
Old 06-07-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hows H-L on PS2? I've always wanted to play this one, never had the time though. Is the PS2 version terrible, or will it do just fine?
Old 06-07-03, 09:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If you're going to play Half-Life, do it on PC. That way you can get get all the great mods as well.
Old 06-07-03, 10:18 AM

Yeah but honestly, I won't be downloading all the mods....plus not a big fan of playing on the computer screen w/the mouse and keyboard.

So how is it on the PS2?
Old 06-07-03, 10:24 AM

Irecently picked up HL on PS2 for $12.

The Good:
-better graphics than the PC version
-quick load times
-Great controls

The Bad:
-The 2 player deathmatches are a joke and completely useless. You basiclaly have 1 room to run aroundf and kill in. Havent played the Co-Op yet.
-The sound is crackly during speech
Old 06-07-03, 10:34 AM

Hmmm, I don't know what type of computer your running it on, but I don't think the graphics are better on a PS2 than a PC. Also, IMO, Half-Life is still the greatest game ever and helped revolutionized gaming. I'm more of a RPG guy myself than a first person shooter but I'll be the first to admit its hands down the best game ever made.
Old 06-07-03, 10:59 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by discostu1337
-better graphics than the PC version
Old 06-07-03, 11:26 AM

Don't 'lol' me....it does have better gfx...its not just something I made up, its a fact. The models have much higher polygon counts, and most of the textures have been updated on the PS2 version. Sure, It still looks smoother on the PC, but the gfx ARE better on PS2. Now, if you use that Blue Shift texture updater thingy, the PC may look better, but I dont know. Not like I even play HL on PC anymore, but it was fun 5 yrs ago
Old 06-07-03, 11:30 AM

see....right from the IGN half-Life review:

"Graphics: Better looking than the original PC version, PS2 Half-Life is preeeetttyyyyy. Four times the texture detail, and still the same great character and creature design"
Old 06-07-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Half-Life is fun

All that needs to be said......
Old 06-07-03, 12:59 PM

They released a patch for the PC version that updates the polygon count and animation of the models to match the console version(s).
Old 06-08-03, 01:10 PM

Personally, I thought System Shock 2 was a better single-player game. It was more emotionally engaging, and a more interesting storyline. Plus, the various "classes" give it more replay value.

Of course, Half-Life kicks SS2's ass with its mods & multiplayer. It's amazing how the game and it's various spawns (Counterstrike, DMC, TF, etc..) are still as popular as ever, 5 years after its release.

Is Blueshift worth picking up?
Old 06-08-03, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Just wait till Half-Life 2.

Oh, I cannot wait for that game. Have the game video and watched it a few times.

I am in awe.

Can't wait to get it.

And then there's Doom 3 as well.

I'm on "On A Rail," right now. Those soldiers always kick my ass. But, it's because I act like Rambo. I just stand there pumping bullets into them.

Always gotta remind myself to duck, or hide.
Old 06-08-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by areacode212

Is Blueshift worth picking up?

If you want a 20 minute mission.

Blue shift took me about 2-3 hours to beat when I took my time. It's still fun, but Opposing forces was a nicer expansion that was longer then Blueshift.

though Barney will be in HL2, so seeing his side of the story will be a must.
Old 06-08-03, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have counter-strike. . .should I still pick up Half Life? I'm going to get HL2 this September. . .but I have played the HL demo and it is excellent. What's the best price I can get the original HL for?

Well my big question is if I have Counter Strike Retail. . .will that have any effect on having Half Life as well? They can still work while both installed on the comp, right?

Last edited by theneobez; 06-08-03 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-08-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
So you're one of those who bought the Counter strike package instead of the Half life package. shame shame shame..

I haven't heard of any problems while both are installed. Counter strike is just a mod of half life so you should have no problem running it while you have CS on your cpu.

Best prices? Hell, i'm sure you can find the whole game of the year package anywhere from 10-20 bucks at most stores. if you go to an EB, I'm sure you can get it used no problem. though I am always odd about bying PC games used since most of them come with a CD key that who knows who else could have the same of.. then again, you have the counter strike cd key, so you should have no problem with that.

look around for the package deal roughly around 10-20. and Yes, you should really pick up Half Life and play the single player.
Old 06-08-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool, thanks for your response. Guess I'll save up some cash and play it sometime in July.
Old 06-09-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
If you're going to play Half-Life, do it on PC. That way you can get get all the great mods as well.
Word! I've been replaying They Hunger just recently. An excellent mod if you haven't tried it. Just make sure to play with the lights off and don't be surprised if you jump once in a while.
Old 06-09-03, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Never tried they hunger.. sounds interesting.. now the link lead me to "theyhunger3.exe" does that cover 1 2 and 3?
Old 06-09-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Never tried they hunger.. sounds interesting.. now the link lead me to "theyhunger3.exe" does that cover 1 2 and 3?
Yes it does. A pretty hefty download, but worth it. It's very long for a single player mod. Lots of rebuilt game models, added dialog and sound effects.
You're fighting undead cannibalistic zombies, ammo is in short supply, they have ways of coming up behind you and head crabs are even creepier (almost like something from the movie Basket Case). But you also get to run down zombies in a locomotive.

Another Neil Manke level is USS Darkstar, also a good single player mod, well written but more straightforward Half-Life.
Old 06-09-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I liked Darkstar better than they hunger... although I never made it to Theyhunger 3.
Old 06-10-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I may download Theyhunger. . .I've been looking for a good Solo player Mod on Half Life. It's compatible with CS retail right?