Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy wont take back broken DVD, was broken when opened

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-03, 01:31 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off I know that most of the time when you open a DVD its yours. I purchased a DVD at best buy 3 weeks ago. I finally went to watch it. I took it out of the case and put it in my player. It would not work. I checked the disk and it looked fine until I turned it over. The DVD disk is broken on the back side, but not all the way thru. I called B.B. and told them the disk was broken when I first opened it and the clerk said as long as its under 30 days no problem. So I went into the B.B. store and a clerk had to ask the manager. The manager said it was against his policy to take back any DVD. I had even told him I was never able to watch it since it was broken on purchase. I told hime the person that had told me it was ok, but they denied ever talking to me. He said the disk was not originally defective. I am very carefull removing my disks, so I also know it was not my error in opening. After a 10 minute battle I walked out.

I them called Disney and they are sending me the stuff so I can exchange it from them. At least I will get a replacement, but it will take several weeks so several months before I will get to watch it.

What I don't understand is that B.B's policy on the back of my reciept said that they would exchange DVD'd for the same item if defective. I cannot see how a broken disk on opening is not defective. What's sad is that the disk only cost 14.99. I am so mad that they would not take back my broken disk that I wonder if I will ever buy enother from them. If you see my collection they would make more than that back from me within a very short time.

Has anybody else had a problem like this?

In case anybody cares this happened at a store in central Minnesota.

--edit--
I was only trying to exchange the DVD. I also had my reciept with me.

Last edited by berg0449; 06-09-03 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-06-03, 02:14 PM

You probably just got stuck with a jerk. I would suggest either going to another best buy, or back to that one at a different time and hope you get a different manager. If not, argue with them some more, dont be rude about it, just point out the return policy in the receipt and very direct with them. You could also ask to talk to another manager, maybe you will get someone nicer.
Old 06-06-03, 02:25 PM

Actually, I'm not sure that a broken DVD would qualify as "Defective". "Defective" to me means a disc that is in "working order", but for some reason or another won't play on your player or won't play a certain feature.

Most of the time, I don't even bother with returning something to the store (unless it's only been a day or two since I was there) and go directly to the studio. For example, I bought a DVD set a few months back that I didn't open until a few weeks after purchase only to discover one of the DVDs was missing...didn't even bother with the store, since I knew they would never replace it...went directly to the studio.
Old 06-06-03, 02:37 PM

How do you get in touch with the studio? I received 3 bad copies of Street Fighter from DDD yesterday, I hate having to deal with returns and exchanges online.
Old 06-06-03, 02:44 PM
Cool New Member

In this case it was DisneyDVD. They have the number plastered all over the case and disk, also online at DisneyDVD.com. For other companies check the disk or case and many have a number to call. Some offer free replacements others are low cost replacements.
Old 06-06-03, 04:08 PM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

Originally posted by menaz
How do you get in touch with the studio? I received 3 bad copies of Street Fighter from DDD yesterday, I hate having to deal with returns and exchanges online.
Customer service numbers for some of the studios are in the stickied thread at the top of this forum.
Old 06-06-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by menaz
are there any GOOD copies of street fighter???

(im jus keeeeeeeeeding! )
Old 06-07-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If a dvd is broken when you open it why would they ahve a problem with exchanging it for the same exact dvd?

capt
Old 06-07-03, 02:14 PM

It doesn't matter wheather the defect is visible to the naked eye or not, it's still defective. Unfortunately, it seems like this is where the manager is making a distinction. It sounds like the manager only considers a disc defective, if there is no visible damage to the disc and furthermore, and it seems like if there is any visible damage to the disc (cracks, scratches, etc.), he is automatically assuming that it was caused by the consumer, which is total B.S. There are many ways that a disc can be scratched or cracked during manufacturing, packaging, or transit.

I understand that the manager is weary wary of exchanging it, due to the fact that dsihonest people could crack or scratch a disc by misuse, and then could abuse their exchange policy by bringing it back to the store and claiming that it was defective. But just because it is theoretically possible that the disc might have been damaged by misuse, it does not mean that the manager has the right to deny you an exchange. Unless they change their exchange policy, they will just have to take your word for it.

Last edited by spyzdope; 06-09-03 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-08-03, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by spyzdope
I understand that the manager is weary of exchanging it...
Really? He's done it so many times he's physically tired of doing it?
Old 06-08-03, 01:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
For those of you who don't understand ein Tier's post, he is poking fun at Spyzdope's incorrect use of the word weary. I believe he meant 'wary', which would mean to be on guard.
Old 06-08-03, 01:55 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
How ironical!
Old 06-08-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Wait... Did you say that you want to return it, or do an exchange?
Old 06-09-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by troystiffler
Wait... Did you say that you want to return it, or do an exchange?
That's the only reason I can think of for why they wouldn't take it back. Any of the stores shouldn't have a problem with simply exchanging a broken disc, but they won't do a money-back return.
Old 06-09-03, 06:09 AM

I had a similar situation with Future Shop up here (owned by the same corp. that owns Best Buy) and it was quite a while when I could actually watch my DVD that started to "pixel" half way through.

First they weren't too keen in a simple exchange, I didn't keep my receipt or anything (now I know better) but I think it was way longer then 30 days. They had my "account" records via my phone number but I mainly stated I'm not trying for a refund but just a copy that I can actually watch and couldn't see what the big deal is. They did the exchange for me with a new receipt
Old 06-09-03, 10:08 AM
Cool New Member

Wow, this sounds just like my magical invisible Final Destination DVD that Best Buy sold me a few weeks ago. I was able to finally break the spell and make it work by buying it from Target.

What amused me about the whole thing was I was told to contact the manufacturer. I couldn't find any contact info, so I asked Best Buy corporate. The best they could come up with was "[email protected]". I'm sure glad that when I have to give info to my customers, I have more than the webmaster's email address.
Old 06-09-03, 12:26 PM

Ever notice the bigger a chain gets the more stupid they become?
Old 06-09-03, 12:45 PM
Cool New Member

I was only trying to exchange the DVD. I also had my reciept with me. I believe I can put this one in my large list of managers that are hard handed with returns.
Old 06-09-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Spooky
Actually, I'm not sure that a broken DVD would qualify as "Defective". "Defective" to me means a disc that is in "working order", but for some reason or another won't play on your player or won't play a certain feature...
I have no idea where you draw your definition of "defective" from but according to Websters it is anything that is "faulty or marked by subnormal structure or function." I think "broken" qualifies as "faulty". Sheesh.