Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Multiplayer Console Games - For 2

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Multiplayer Console Games - For 2

We of course played "Halo" like a crack addict with a full pipe. Heard that "Baldur's Gate" and "Wolfenstein" were 2 good ones for this. Own both a PS2 and an XBox. Any suggestions for just 2 people wishing to play the same storyline as the single player? Thanks.
Old 06-01-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Brute Force? I don't know if it works that way, but it seems like it would.
I know this isn't the type of game you're looking for, but Outlaw Golf is a fantastic multiplayer game - even if you aren't into sports games.
Hunter is like Gauntlet, but it has good graphics and it's quite fun.
Ghost Recon allows people to play as a team against a common enemy, but I've never tried it in split screen and I don't know if it works that way.
There's probably more I'm not thinking of. PS2 likely has a bunch of games like this.
Old 06-02-03, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I second a vote for Hunter: The Reckoning for Xbox. It's my favorite multi-player cooperative game for that system, allowing 1-4 players, much like Gauntlet. I am a pencil-and-paper role-playing-gamer and I love White Wolf's World of Darkness series, so I may be biased (although I've never played the PnP version of Hunter).

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is great--certainly the best two-player RPG for a console. Both the Xbox and PS2 versions are nearly identical.

Of course, the PS2 has a lot more two-player cooperative games. Some others that spring to mind are: Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (1-4 players), The Legend of Alon D’ar, the Army Men series and the TimeSplitters series.

I'm most looking forward to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 2 (for both PS2 and Xbox) and Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes (Xbox exclusive with Gauntlet-like four-player action).
Old 06-02-03, 07:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wonder why D&D Heroes is now an Xbox exclusive? For the longest time it has been announced for all three consoles.
Old 06-02-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mr. Gore
I second a vote for Hunter: The Reckoning for Xbox. It's my favorite multi-player cooperative game for that system, allowing 1-4 players, much like Gauntlet. I am a pencil-and-paper role-playing-gamer and I love White Wolf's World of Darkness series, so I may be biased (although I've never played the PnP version of Hunter).
I'd like to kind of warn against Hunter: The Reckoning. It is really fun - for about 30 minutes to an hour and then it slowly dawns on you that it is excessively repetitive. A real shame too, because the PnP RPG that is its source material is really interesting.
Old 06-02-03, 08:54 AM

If you like Halo's co-op you will like Brute Force pretty similar. I was playing it co-op last night.

Conflict desert storm - the graphics weren't that great but we had a lot of fun with it.

Kung Fu Chaos was fun also
Old 06-03-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the answers. Our computer blew out some parts and was down for a few days. Will definately try a couple of them, hopefully in a day or so.
Old 06-03-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm always on the lookout for co-op 2 player games - but there are barely a handful of them out there... just picked up Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance yesterday which looks like a lot of fun (hope my wife likes it! )

I've heard that The Adventures of Cookie and Cream is pretty good.

I believe that the new Lord of the Rings: Return of the King game will have co-op play in it also, a feature that the first game was just crying out for - but still, it's a little dissapointing that all these co-op games are just glorified versions of Gauntlet!
Old 06-03-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Cookie and Cream is a good 2-player coop game on PS2, but it is a bit on the cutsey side. If you have a wife or g/f they probably would like it though.
Old 06-08-03, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
I wonder why D&D Heroes is now an Xbox exclusive? For the longest time it has been announced for all three consoles.
That newfound exclusivity also really pisses me off. I don’t even have an Xbox, though I play with friends (hence my interest in multi-player cooperative games). The Infogrames (Atari) site still lists Heroes as available for Xbox, PS2 and GC. However, the game’s official site (http://www.dandheroes.com) announced on May 13 that the title would now be an Xbox exclusive. Damn that Microsoft!
Old 06-08-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Simpsons Road Rage is fun too.
Old 06-11-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Purchased Baldur's Gate and so far it is good. Similar to Diablo. Starting any game a a stuggle with hitting people with blunt clubs etc. "Brute Force" is certainly next if the price improves.

-What the hell is "Cookies and Cream" as suggested?
Old 06-11-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Click the link I helpfully provided
Old 06-13-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ^sam^
Click the link I helpfully provided
Did not work when I first tried it but now it did. Well, that is awful cutesy. Fun though? Hmmm. Will consider it as rental to try out. Thanks.

For those who suggested agreed Baldur's Gate was a good choice there are a few other Forums that indicated the game was awful short. Had a friend who played the original game in the series on the PC and it was enormous. Is this game short?
Old 06-13-03, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by Preacher
For those who suggested agreed Baldur's Gate was a good choice there are a few other Forums that indicated the game was awful short. Had a friend who played the original game in the series on the PC and it was enormous. Is this game short?
I haven't won BG: Dark Alliance myself, as I am playing with a friend, and we have trouble finding the time to play it for hours in one sitting. However, another friend recently picked it up for the Xbox and won it in about three weeks of non-steady play. I think it is short from what I've heard, and there are probable plenty of members who can give you and exact timeframe. It would be a mistake to compare BG: DA to the PC games, as they're nothing alike. The PC ones were indeed quite lengthy.