Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory free download

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-03, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Wolfenstein:Enemy Territory free download

I recently downloaded Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and though others may be interseted. This was originally an expansion pack to RTCW, but is now available as a free, standalone multiplayer game. I'll post some thoughts on it once I try it out.

It can be downloaded at
http://www.fileplanet.com
Old 05-31-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's pretty good(free is great) but you can get fustrated with the teamwork aspect when half the team is clueless and thinks we are playing quake or something.
Old 05-31-03, 10:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Thanks...can't complain about the price!
Old 06-01-03, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great.
Old 06-01-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I played it last night and I hated it so much. Okay, back to Medal of Honor...
Old 06-01-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Seems like it crashes alot.
Old 06-01-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I could never get this working. I get an OpenGL error every time I try to start it. Oh well.
Old 06-02-03, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dr_Evil
I could never get this working. I get an OpenGL error every time I try to start it. Oh well.
Why are you using openGL? Do you have a Voodoo card still?
Old 06-02-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
It's not a Voodoo card, but it is about four years old. I need to upgrade my PC for gaming, so I'm not too suprised this doesn't work. I barely met the system requirements for Max Payne a year or so ago, so I figured it wasn't long until I couldn't cut it anymore.
Old 06-02-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah this game seems to be fickle - it crashes on me alot and I have a GF4... even with the latest drivers.
Old 06-03-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I havent had any problems with it and I have been playing ALOT
Old 06-03-03, 03:40 AM

Because OpenGL is the API used to create the game? Perhaps you are thinking of Glide.
Old 06-03-03, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No - OpenGL or DirectX should be the choices.
Old 06-03-03, 06:20 AM

No - OpenGL or DirectX should be the choices.
RTCW is programmed using OpenGL. There is no DirectX "choice." Anyhow, I was merely pointing out that if you were associating Voodoo cards with a particular API, it would obviously be Glide.
Old 06-03-03, 07:57 AM

No problems here with my GF4.
Old 06-03-03, 10:26 AM

on some servers, the load screen gets garbled, but I haven't had much problems otherwise (Radeon 97-- Pro here, 3.2 Catalyst drivers).

On another note, does anyone know how to change the colors within your name? On RTCW, it used to be something like SHIFT-F6 (^) and then one of the numbers to select a color - but that doesn't seem to work here. I know others can do it, becuase I've seen a rainbow of names from others.

Oh, and my name is goatweed - I haven't found a server to call "home" as of yet
Old 06-03-03, 10:31 AM

try the ND80 USA servers great servers great people, he has 13 RTCW and ET servers online with diff maps and rotations

www.nd80usa.net

you can edit your cfg file (use notepad) in the profiles or etmain directory with ^number to generate different colors, or you can DL the Wolf Name Generator and create a new cfg
Old 06-03-03, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rayw69
RTCW is programmed using OpenGL. There is no DirectX "choice." Anyhow, I was merely pointing out that if you were associating Voodoo cards with a particular API, it would obviously be Glide.
Voodoo cards were primarily an OpenGL card while nVidia's cards like the Rage 128 and the TNT were DirectX cards... they both did OpenGL and DirectX, but that was the mindset back then. Then there's Glide which was specific to Voodoo cards - only a few games actually used it so there's no reason to really talk about it. However - Voodoo cards had their own OpenGL drivers since they were so different and innovative and some games that are programmed using OpenGL still provide for them. That's actually where this OpenGL error message is coming from - part of the solution involves removing the Voodoo OpenGL files provided with the game. DirectX cards come with their own OpenGl drivers as well and they conflict with the Voodoo ones. I'm sorry I wasn't clear before and yes - I think I was a bit confused... however, I'm certain I was never talking about Glide. OpenGL, DirectX and Glide are all APIs, but Glide isn't used anymore - also, many games give you a choice of OpenGl or DirectX. You're right about RTCW though.

Here's a link to a solution to the OpenGL error problem.
Old 06-03-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wanted to keep the record straight.

nVidia's first DirectX cards were the Riva and Riva 128. The Rage cards were ATi.

The primary API for Voodoo and Voodoo2 cards was Glide. It was proprietary to 3dfx and it was quite popular. There were dozens of games that exclusively supported 3D hardware acceleration on Glide and it was actually the most popular API for 3D games in its time. 3dfx only grudgingly supported OpenGL because it negated this advantage. So if any API is to be associated with 3dfx hardware, it's Glide.

Nowadays, Glide is long gone, and most all cards have both OpenGL and DirectX drivers. Games support one of the two or both. John Carmack uses OpenGL so any Doom/Quake game and the games derived from their engines (like RtCW) will use OpenGL.

Anyway, as for the game itself, I'd be all over it if it weren't for the fact that I'm engrossed with Planetside right now.
Old 06-03-03, 10:25 PM

I've only experienced one crash (GF 3) with the game so far and I have been playing it way too much.

It's the best free game I've ever played. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes squad based combat.
Old 06-03-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tip for new players, when your teams objective is to destroy something have more then one engineer.

No need for half the team to be Field Ops *sigh*
Old 06-04-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And be sure you're on No Friendly-Fire!

I hate when they gets in the way and got killed by me and they filed complaint against me.
Old 06-04-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by McHawkson
And be sure you're on No Friendly-Fire!

I hate when they gets in the way and got killed by me and they filed complaint against me.
FF is a must for me but I know what your talking about.

I have that complaint pop-up disabled myself as it seems a waste of time.
Old 06-04-03, 01:44 AM

The complaint pop-up can be helpful against genuine hooligans, but it is annoying when there's an accidental situation and you get dinged. Just tonight some idiot was hanging out in the spawn area killing the team repeatedly with a flamethrower.
Old 06-04-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gah - I meant Riva, don't know why I said Rage... I've owned nearly every video card since they started making them. I know Voodoo and glide go hand in hand... I've had 3 different Voodoo cards - I should know. I don't know, maybe my head's in my butt. :/ My memory is telling me that there weren't as many glide games on the market as there were supposed to be and that opengl was preferred... maybe that was later. Anyway - Voodoo cards still made opengl games look great - superior to DX at the time. Their opengl drivers are what's causing this error people are having with this game though. You're right about John Carmack though and the whole glide/opengl thing was switched in my head at first or something and I spaced about this game's engine for some reason. I don't think I've been firing on all 8 cylinders lately.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.