Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

xbox component cables

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-03, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xbox component cables

I am using the component cables that came with the high definition a/v pack for xbox. Does anyone know if using different cables (such as monster) have any effect on picture quality? I think it looks great now but would different cables improve the picture at all. I just want the best picture possible.
thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-03, 05:58 PM

Supposedly, the Monster cables are much better. But I think a lot of it has to depend on your TV too.
Old 05-29-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Monster is overpriced - I'm no expert, but I've had many conversations about this subject with experts and that's the general consensus... Monster makes good cables, but so do other companies and they don't charge as much.
Old 05-29-03, 08:42 PM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

usually what I do when it comes to cables, is if i wanted higher quality cables, i usually get acoustic research. Really good cables for 1/4th what monster charges. depending on the tv, anything over acoustic research is just wasting your money
Old 05-29-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here are the basic options for xbox component cables, #1 being the best picture quality, and #3 being the worst:
1.) Monster-brand Xbox component cables
2.) MS Xbox HD pack with better cables
3.) MS Xbox HD pack with included cables

The MS Xbox HD pack consists of a little box that is unshielded and can allow interference to mess with the signals. Also, the included cables are minimally shielded (if at all).

If you replace the included cables with better quality cables that are shielded (Acoustic Research is a decent brand), then you eliminate some of that interference. The Monster Xbox cables eliminate the adaptor-box-thing entirely and thus leave the least room for interference.

Will you be able to tell the difference between the 3 options? Unless you have lots of interference in your area, probably not. You'll also need to have a high-quality TV to be able to tell the difference.

So... unless it makes you feel better to have the best cables, or if you really DO see a difference, I would say it's not worth the upgrade. But the fact remains that technically, there is a difference. And some people have better eyes than others...

Personally, I use the MS Xbox HD pack, and replaced the included cables with Dayton Audio brand component video cables from www.partsexpress.com.

Last edited by Joshic; 05-29-03 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
I bought some nice acoustic research cables and compared them with the xbox component cables. I did notice a definite improvement. It wasn't huge but enough to warrant the upgrade. I play on a 65 inch Mitsubishi HDTV.
Old 05-30-03, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Belden Cables with Canare connectors. Cables are Green/Black to match the XBox theme color and a pretty nice difference from stock cables on my 65" HDTV. The difference compared to my Monster cables set is pretty small(if any) depending on the game. The smaller the screen the less the video quality difference in cables usually.
Old 05-30-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Monster cables, but if I could do it again I would just buy the MS cables. I doubt you'd notice a difference unless you have a lot of interference (as Joshic pointed out).
Old 05-30-03, 10:34 AM

Have the the MS cables and it looks great. I have a hard time believing it could look any better so I must not have much interference.
Old 05-30-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the MS cables seem to be quality cables, especially for only $20
Old 12-09-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does any one know how to use the monster cables Component, and then still get the Fiber Optic Audio Cable or is this even possiable, I just ordered my new 57" TOshiba HDTV
Old 12-09-03, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the fiber optic cable comes with the Monster component cables. Maybe I bought them separately.

Anyway, yes, the optic audio cable will definately work. It plugs into a pigtail that comes off the back of the Monster cable connection (the part that plugs into the Xbox).

Any optic audio cable will work, it's a standard connection.
Old 12-09-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The XBox component cables need this kit for Optical :

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801333
Old 12-10-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cubanx
The XBox component cables need this kit for Optical :

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=801333
So if I buy the monster Comp cables (which I only want for the 10ft Legth), I would have to buy the audio cable also (has to be the moster brand one)??? Is this all worth it?
Old 12-10-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
The monster component cables have a connection for an optical cable, but does not include one. You can you any optical cable you want.
Old 12-10-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by noonan4224
The monster component cables have a connection for an optical cable, but does not include one. You can you any optical cable you want.
This is incorrect unless Monster has redesigned the cables recently. The connector on the Component cables looks like a mini-din headphone jack that you have to connect a proprietary Interface Mini-Din to Toslink adapter about a inch long.

You must buy the Fiber Optic kit to get the proprietary interface adapter and then you can use any cable you want.
Old 12-10-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So you buy the kit to get the propietary interface adaptor, but they include the cable too right? At least that way you don't have to buy a separate cable.

I have the Monster cables, but I can't remember what I bought.
Old 12-10-03, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gromit
So you buy the kit to get the propietary interface adaptor, but they include the cable too right? At least that way you don't have to buy a separate cable.

I have the Monster cables, but I can't remember what I bought.
That's correct. They include a 10ft Toslink cable with the propietary adapter.