Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Brute Force

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-03, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brute Force

I've played this game for about 5 hours with a friend. I hate it. It's not fun at all.

This game is a huge let down. Something's just not right with it. This game isn't even worth a rental in my opinion.
Old 05-28-03, 09:42 PM

5 hours is a long time to play a game that sucks.
Old 05-28-03, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Maynerd
5 hours is a long time to play a game that sucks.

We were hoping it would get better.
Old 05-28-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What exactly do you "hate" about it?
Old 05-28-03, 10:02 PM

Re: Brute Force

Originally posted by gross@iastate
I've played this game for about 5 hours with a friend. I hate it. It's not fun at all.
Old 05-28-03, 10:15 PM

Originally posted by CreatureX
What exactly do you "hate" about it?

I hate the fact that I spent money on it and have no desire to play it ever again. I felt it was boring and repetitive. We played through about half of it and it wasn't improving. It just became tedious, some of the missions are so vague you find yourself wandering around not knowing what to do. It just seems like they threw it together, it doesn't feel like a complete game.

I expected more I guess. Too much hype???
Old 05-28-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
At least he didn't just play it for 5 minutes and then say it sucks...

I tried to warn you guys about this game - it's pretty average - if you're expecting the next Halo, you're not going to be very happy at all. Expect the next Enclave or something instead.
Old 05-28-03, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the warning, gross. I was considering getting this, but decided on Inside Pitch 03. Mainly for the Live capabilities.
Old 05-28-03, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would *NEVER* play a game I absolutely hated for 5 hours... I'll play it for myself and come to my own conclusions.
Old 05-29-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally posted by gross@iastate
It just became tedious, some of the missions are so vague you find yourself wandering around not knowing what to do.
Were you not using the nav points and listening to the Cortana style mission updates in-game? Or do they stop doing that in later missions? So far, for me at least, it's a pretty darn cool game.
Old 05-29-03, 08:08 AM

Best Buy's killing me I pre-ordered it from them and they didn't ship it yet. I was going to buy it last night but I want the 2 free DVD's
Old 05-29-03, 08:20 AM
Banned

Review scores so far from www.gamerankings.comSite Name / Link Article Date Rating Ratio
GD Xbox 5/27/2003 5 out of 5 100.0%
Xbox Addict 5/27/2003 5 out of 5 100.0%
Team XBOX 5/28/2003 4.8 out of 5 96.0%
Xbox Collective 5/28/2003 8.9 out of 10 89.0%
Game Zone 5/28/2003 8.6 out of 10 86.0%
IGN 5/27/2003 8.1 out of 10 81.0%
Gamespy 5/29/2003 78 out of 100 78.0%
GameSpot 5/28/2003 7.6 out of 10 76.0%

Average is an 88%...I'm going to probably pick this up tonight.

FS
Old 05-29-03, 08:21 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kegman
Best Buy's killing me I pre-ordered it from them and they didn't ship it yet. I was going to buy it last night but I want the 2 free DVD's
You're not being clever enough....think a bit!

FS
Old 05-29-03, 09:31 AM

You're not being clever enough....think a bit!
I'm open for suggestions. I trying to think of a way around it, because I have to go to the mall tonight.
Old 05-29-03, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by kegman
I'm open for suggestions. I trying to think of a way around it, because I have to go to the mall tonight.
Buy it from Store A...Keep the receipt! When your Best Buy order arrives, return that game to Store A.

Anyway, I was expecting the worst. So much so, that I was contemplating exchanging my pre-order for something else. But, I decided to open it and was pleasantly surprised. The Halo influence really shows...the control scheme is almost an exact replication and so is the level select feature. I haven't gotten very far (I only have 2 squad members), but I'm enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would.
Old 05-29-03, 10:01 AM

Buy it from Store A...Keep the receipt! When your Best Buy order arrives, return that game to Store A.
One of my co-workers just gave me the same advice. Thanks Man
Old 05-29-03, 10:10 AM

A buddy in my clan posted up in our forum with the following First Impressions.

I picked up Brute Force yesterday, and was able to play a bit last night. Since the game was so anticipated and hyped, of course, I went in with high expectations. Even in the very beginning, knowing that there is no xbox live (other than DL content) and the game is not marked to have 480p support in the box, I did have a bit of doubt. In the very first stage, again I felt doubt that this game would be anything more and an average 3rd person shooter. But I kept playing, and the game got better. Then, somehow and somewhere between the first level and the 3rd level, it has transformed into a "can't wait to play it again" game. There is just something about cloaking, sneaking up behind an enemy, and slicing them in half! And something about using a chain gun to mow down enemies, or a cutter weapon that launches razor sharp blades that riccochet off walls and objects to keep hitting opponents. Oh yeah, it's gettin' good.

I don't really need to go into all the details of the game, since I think most know it's a 3rd person shooter with squad based gameplay. Meaning, while you directly control one player, you also give commands, etc to the other members in your squad as well as being able to switch to any member on the fly. If at any time a friend wants to join you in game, they can simply plug in their controller and hit start and jump right into the action.

Graphically, the game looks great. Even without 480p, I only noticed a few interlaced lines during the FMV on my 55" HDTV. Some of the characters show jaggies during the cut scenes, but the in game graphics look superb with expansive environments and striking colors. Graphically, the game is top notch. Next comes the sound, which may even surpass the video. The game sounds incredible in full 5.1 surround. Nice sound effects and as well as a great soundtrack. A+ with the audio.

My only gripe so far was that when I tried playing split screen it gave both me and the wife a severe case of nausia. I think it is due to the game not being widescreen (another minor gripe) and playing it on a 55" widescreen. Since the window is stretched anyway left to right, then we go split screen which multiplies the effect, it really limits the vertical viewing range, so I found myself needing to look up and down a lot, hence, the nausia. I am not sure how split screen looks playing on a standard analog TV. I am considering buying a 2nd copy just so the wife and I can play simultaneiously on 2 screens. The only other thing I would commetn on game wise is that the "normal" mode seems a bit easy... at least in the early levels. Of course, there are 2 difficulty settings above that, so maybe I just need to up the difficulty a notch.

Overall, that game is definetly worh the $50 to me, and if it continues to get better as it has, it will certainly live up to my expectations. I have read that the games DOES work on xbconnect, although at the time people have only been able to get 2 xbox's working. Also, there is no confirmed support for the Live headsets.
Take it for what it is worth but it is more detailed than anything I've seen posted here. (better than, "This sucks!" or "This is great!" with no explanation)
Old 05-29-03, 10:47 AM

are you sure its not 480p

- i've read at other sites that it is although it is not indicated on the box

http://144.92.43.200/hdg/hdg.asp?submit=Home
Old 05-29-03, 11:05 AM

Nah, I'm not sure. I even questioned my buddy about it because I suspected it was just not done correctly on the box. His HDTV doesn't give him a display of the signal that it is receiving so he wasn't sure.
Old 05-29-03, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is most definately not 480p.

I've played it quite a bit, and unless something drastic happens soon, I'll probably be returning it in the next day or so. The levels thus far have been very linear (I just don't understand how anyone could get lost or not know where to go next while playing, you just follow the yellow dot!), and the enemies on each level are all the same (I think the most I've seen are 2 types on a level). I've yet to die or lose a "companion" on any level (I just got past the "rescue the psychic" level and am now on the beach level). I'm only playing on hard, so maybe the hardest level will provide more of a challenge. I was also expecting much more in the graphical realm. The levels I've played are very unimpressive looking (unless you're using the lizard's "Predator" white button mode).
Old 05-29-03, 01:24 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
You'll be returning it? Does EB even allow people to return games now if they don't 'like it'?
Old 05-29-03, 01:25 PM

You'll be returning it? Does EB even allow people to return games now if they don't 'like it'?

Not anymore
Old 05-29-03, 02:03 PM

The game is awesome, one of the few games that has had me waiting to get hom from work to play it again. I actually woke up at 6:30am (instead of 8:30) to play it before heading to work.
It also looks exceptional on my 42" Samsung HDTV, it may not be labeled 480p, but it sure looks that good. Textures are crisp and detailed, zooming in on your 1st level teammates will reveal blemishes/scratches/scuffs on their armor.

The 3rd level (mutant camp) is a sight to behold, you literally feel like you're inside of a Mad Max game.
I like it a lot, the only thing i wish for is XBL compatibility....
Old 05-29-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait to get this one too. I know some folks on here have talked about how average this game is but I seem to have a different opinion a lot of the time. Kinda like Tao Feng, I just got that and it is pretty sweet so far. I don't see why it got such a bad rap.
Old 05-29-03, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Was this directed at me? If so, where did you get the idea that I bought it at EB?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.