TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV's Gay "Bachelor"

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV's Gay "Bachelor"

Link

The Bravo network has taken a pinch of The Bachelor, a dabble of Joe Millionaire-esque fibbing and a few lovelorn homosexuals to produce Boy Meets Boy, a new reality dating series featuring a hot single gay man looking for love.

The new show, which will bow this July, centers on one man who must find his love match from a pool of 15 fellow singletons. And to make things more interesting than, say, a Trista-Ryan cheese-fest, the network is throwing in a few straight actors pretending to be gay to trip up their bachelor.
The whole premise is all nice and mean, just like Joe Millionaire and For Love or Money. Pretty soon we'll have it just like those SNL skits....25 attractive people, and one of them has AIDS, or is a serial killer. Yay!

I'm not sure what they (Bravo) mean to imply with this, though:

One thing the network is revealing is its strict TV-intimacy credo: any sexual interaction beyond a lip lock is a strict no-no.
Hmmm. Huh. Interesting.
Old 05-27-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why can bravo say no to man on man when there was a video on mtv ("Beautiful") which had man on man kissing but mtv is one of those ultra strict networks?
Old 05-27-03, 06:16 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
The key word to the second quote is "beyond"... they can kiss on screen, but nothing more.

As long as one of the contestants is James Lipton, I'll watch!
Old 05-27-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Joe Heterosexual?
Old 05-28-03, 07:16 AM
Banned

Another article:Bravo Channel Launches Gay Dating Show
May 27, 4:04 PM EST

The Bravo cable network is going where no television dating show has gone before: matchmaking gay men.

"Boy Meets Boy," a six-episode series that will premiere in July, also twists reality show conventions by secretly including straight men among the pool of dating prospects.

No dating show, from "Blind Date" to "The Bachelor," has promoted same-sex unions, said Scott Seomin, entertainment media director for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. It appears "Boy Meets Boy" will handle it in a lighthearted, non-exploitive way, he said.

The show is being made by a gay producer, reality veteran Douglas Ross of Evolution Film & Tape, Inc. "I wanted to be involved with a series I could be proud of," Ross said.

Already, the Traditional Values Coalition plans to alert its 43,000 member churches to protest the series, said Andrea Lafferty, the Washington-based group's executive director.

"Clearly, they've hit a new low," Lafferty said. "What's next after `Boy Meets Boy'? `Boy Meets Sheep'?"

Bravo has scheduled gay-themed programming in the past, airing the "Out of the Closet" film festival for several years, Seomin said. Last summer, Bravo ran a documentary series on same-sex weddings, also produced by Ross.

That series triggered many protests to Bravo about taking a stance on a controversial social issue, Ross said. But it also did well enough in the ratings to be repeated several times, including in a marathon opposite the Super Bowl.

Bravo came back to Ross even though the network underwent an ownership change last summer. NBC bought Bravo this spring from Cablevision Systems Corp.

The series, with Dani Behr of "Extra" as host, will feature a gay leading man choosing from 15 potential suitors. Midway, he will be told that some of his potential dates are actually heterosexual. He won't be told which ones, of course, and Ross is still debating at which point viewers will be let in on the secret.

"We have created a gay world where the straight guys are in the closet," he said.

If one of the straight men is chosen at the end, he wins a cash prize. If the leading man chooses another gay man, the lead character wins the prize and an expense-paid vacation, he said.

"We really wanted to attract the straight population," Ross said. "By adding in this twist, we thought it would bring in a larger audience and would challenge the notions of all of our viewers — both gay and straight."

Bravo President Jeff Gaspin said he wouldn't have been interested in the show without the straight element — not because it was more palatable politically, but because it made the series more unique.

He knew the series would attract attention, something vital when competing with dozens of cable networks. "Honestly, that's the bottom line," Gaspin said.

The Traditional Values Coalition's Lafferty said she will point out to her group's members the connection between Bravo and NBC.

"Just when you think programming can't get any worse, it seems like it drops another 100 feet to an even darker place," she said.

Katie Wright, a spokeswoman for the conservative media watchdog Parents Television Council, noted the show is on a cable channel known for airing edgy material, making it less of a concern than if it were on a major broadcast network. She's interested in what time of day Bravo will air the program, though.

"We will be monitoring it," Wright said.

Gaspin said he realizes that any time a network schedules gay-themed programming, some people won't like it. Bravo is also scheduling a series this summer, "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy," where five gay designers make over the wardrobe of a heterosexual man.

Gaspin noted that "Will & Grace," the comedy with a gay man as a lead character, is one of NBC's most popular shows.

"It's certainly not something we're afraid of," he said. "If done right, it has every right to be on the air."

FS
Old 05-28-03, 07:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I wonder what will happen if the "Bachelor" guy tries to kiss one of the straight men? If they are like 99% of the straight men I know they'll start flipping out.
Old 05-28-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Groucho •<HR SIZE=1>I wonder what will happen if the "Bachelor" guy tries to kiss one of the straight men? If they are like 99% of the straight men I know they'll start flipping out. <HR SIZE=1>

It'll be their own damn fault. I wouldn't want some man randomly kissing me, but if I go on a show and try to deceive him, I deserve what I get.

Anyway, it reads like they haven't started filming yet. If that's true, it's not going to be much of a surprise to the main contestant after this story gets some press.

das
Old 05-28-03, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't like the idea of having a few straight guys in the mix "pretending to be gay". What if shows like Joe Millionaire and The Bachelor had a few lipstick lesbians in the mix pretending to be straight? I think the main contestant should start off by giving each one of the guys a nice, deep soul kiss. That will weed out the straight guys

I wonder where this so-called Traditional Values Coalition is during "Blind Date" with all the straight hot tub romps? Perhaps Andrea Lafferty and Katie Wright will someday be raped by a sheep in a hot tub

Last edited by LiquidSky; 05-28-03 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-28-03, 07:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I wouldn't want some man randomly kissing me
Guess I'll cancel my plans to fly out to the next Georgia meet.
Old 05-28-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Groucho •<HR SIZE=1> Guess I'll cancel my plans to fly out to the next Georgia meet. <HR SIZE=1>

I said "randomly" ...

das
Old 05-28-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll be patiently waiting for the Gay Bachelorette show, thankyouverymuch!
Old 05-28-03, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by Patman
I'll be patiently waiting for the Gay Bachelorette show, thankyouverymuch!
Yeah, and they'll be the stereotypical Mullet-wearing, heavyset, manly gay bachelorette to!
Old 05-28-03, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth Groucho •<HR SIZE=1>I wonder what will happen if the "Bachelor" guy tries to kiss one of the straight men? If they are like 99% of the straight men I know they'll start flipping out. <HR SIZE=1>

It'll be their own damn fault. I wouldn't want some man randomly kissing me, but if I go on a show and try to deceive him, I deserve what I get.

Anyway, it reads like they haven't started filming yet. If that's true, it's not going to be much of a surprise to the main contestant after this story gets some press.

das
Remember though, if the straight guys fool the gay guy and he picks a straight guy in the end (tee-hee) he gets a cash prize. So the real question is, how much $$ would it take? Be realistic!

FS
Old 05-28-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I misread the pronouns in the article. So, in essence it's a game of finding a gay man in a mixed crowd, i.e. if the contestant can't pick a gay man, he won't win anything?

das
Old 05-28-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will GLADD be all over this or embrace it?
Old 05-28-03, 10:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Will GLADD be all over this or embrace it?
From the article I posted:

"No dating show, from "Blind Date" to "The Bachelor," has promoted same-sex unions, said Scott Seomin, entertainment media director for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. It appears "Boy Meets Boy" will handle it in a lighthearted, non-exploitive way, he said."

FS
Old 05-28-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, maybe I worded my suggestion hastily:

I'll be patiently waiting for the Lipstick Lesbian Bachelorette show, thankyouverymuch!
Old 05-28-03, 11:16 AM
Banned

I'm upset that I don't get BRAVO, as this is sure to be hilarious.
Old 05-28-03, 12:36 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Originally posted by FlashStash
From the article I posted:

"No dating show, from "Blind Date" to "The Bachelor," has promoted same-sex unions, said Scott Seomin, entertainment media director for the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation. It appears "Boy Meets Boy" will handle it in a lighthearted, non-exploitive way, he said."

FS
Nope... wrong... MTV's Taildaters has had a few same-sex couples on the show. Albeit they didn't promote the show as a "same-sex" only show, but they have had a few.
Old 05-29-03, 02:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

These ultra-religious groups... like they even watch Bravo in first place. What a bunch of attention whores. Anyway, the show might be interesting, if only to see what the straight guys do to fool the gaydar.
Old 05-29-03, 08:33 AM
Banned

Someone should tell the Fox Network that they should try a midget bachelor show when they are done with the lipstick lesbian bachelorette show.
Old 05-29-03, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by DRG
These ultra-religious groups... like they even watch Bravo in first place. What a bunch of attention whores. Anyway, the show might be interesting, if only to see what the straight guys do to fool the gaydar.
So, how far would you go to fool the gay guy if it was you and the prize was a million bucks? Remember, you can't just do the deed, you've got to be convincing. I don't think I could even hold hands convincingly.
Old 05-29-03, 07:04 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shaggybrown
So, how far would you go to fool the gay guy if it was you and the prize was a million bucks? Remember, you can't just do the deed, you've got to be convincing. I don't think I could even hold hands convincingly.
Well, they are 'actors', but this is a whole new ballgame. I don't think I'd be too convincing either.
Old 05-30-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think they must have sex with the bachelor.
Old 05-31-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by LiquidSky
I don't like the idea of having a few straight guys in the mix "pretending to be gay". What if shows like Joe Millionaire and The Bachelor had a few lipstick lesbians in the mix pretending to be straight?
I also think that's a stupid gimmick which is bound to bring up an aura of homophobia when they film the straight guys away from the bachelor. (Provided the audience is in on the knowledge of who is straight. ) I NEVER watched "The Bachelor" or any of that crap, but I'd watch this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.