Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ps2 wont read discs

Old 05-24-03, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ps2 wont read discs

hello, i got the ps2 when it first came out, and over the last 6 months, i have had increasing problems with getting the machine to load up games (and movies).

a week or so ago, the thing went on the fritz and now it wont read anything at all, it just stays in the GUI screen.

does anyone know what the problem could be, and any possible fixes? im hoping i dont have to buy a new system.

thanks
Old 05-24-03, 10:59 PM
Banned

There is three things that you can do in this situation:

Easy Solution - Buy a DVD Lens Cleaner. It might take a couple of times for the PS2 to read it, but if you can get it to work, that should solve the problem.

Technical Solution - Crack open that bad boy. Unscrew all the screws on the bottom and remove the case. Remove the case. Unscrew the plastic piece to get access to the Lens. Gently clean the lens using a Q-tip and alcohol. This will solve the problem but will void the warantee (which you don't have anymore anyway.

Expensive Solution - Buy a new one. A lot of people prefer to not mess with cleaning it and just buy a new one. Doesn't make sence to me, so I don't know why it should make sence to you.

I have done the first two steps. Both work, but if you use the DVD Lens cleaner, make sure you continue to do so on a regular basis. I didn't and ended up cracking it open and cleaning it by hand. Very simple.
Old 05-25-03, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another option is to send it back to Sony for repairs. It cost around $100 last Christmas but may have dropped down since the price cut. Cheaper than buying a new one.

Give them a call at 1-800-345-7669.
Old 05-25-03, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've heard using alchol ruins the coating on the laser.

I had the same problems and cleaned mine with a q-tip and distilled water and its worked perfectly for months.
Old 05-25-03, 10:46 AM

thanks all, will try cracking it open.