Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Trade in games at Blockbuster?? Anyone try this?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was grabbing a bite to eat and noticed that in the window at blockbuster they had a sign that says "trade in your games here." Anyone know if it is any good or if the trade in value is better than other stores?
Old 05-24-03, 01:39 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Blockbuster or Hollywood videos? Some Hollywood videos have stores called "Game Crazy", which allow you to trade in your old games for new ones.
Old 05-24-03, 02:12 AM

The way I see it, no matter where you trade in your games, they will all rip you off. Sure, some might give you $1 or $2 more than others. But in the end, you will end up with $4 for a like new copy of Socom.
Old 05-24-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by menaz
But in the end, you will end up with $4 for a like new copy of Socom.
that they end up selling for near retail price. My roommate buys his games used always and the price tags often say $45. I simply don't understand his logic. That's like buying used games cuz you like a game to be "broken in" rather than because you want to save money.
Old 05-24-03, 12:38 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trade ins aren't always rip offs.

Last summer I bought Eternal Darkness, played through it 3 times in a month, and then took it back to EB and got $35 trading it in (just what they were offering at the time, no special deals, extra percentages or any of that jazz).

But I do agree that it's a rip off that EB sells newer used games for $45.

I still usally buy them because I'm a poor grad student and saving $5 means a beer or two at the bars or a six pack if I'm having people over.
Old 05-24-03, 02:02 PM

I think the returns of PC and sports games are much worse than anything else at EB. I got $23 for Medal of Honor Allied Assault, Sperhead, and GTA 3!

I could have sold it on EBay for at least double in cash.

I was thinking of selling NBA 2K3 on the XBox a few months ago, and they offered $17 for it. That wouldn't have been that bad had they not been selling it used for $45.
Old 05-24-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Mom and Pop shops are always better at trade ins. The one I used to work at, we'd give a little less in trade in than an EB or GameStop or FuncoLand, but we'd resell the used game much, much lower. Those places would only be about $5 cheaper than the new one. At the place I worked at, we would sell it at a minimum of $10-$15 cheaper than those other places.

That's one of my biggiest pet peeves. Whey go and buy a used game from one of the big chains for only dollars less than a new copy that you can get at BB or Circuit City? It just doesn't make sense.
Old 05-24-03, 03:38 PM
Suspended

What do you expect though?

I think offering $17 for a game which they sell for $40 is a great deal. Where does that extra $23 they 'make' go to?

- RENT
- Paying Employees
- Water/Electric/Heat/Gas
- Cleaning your games

Now, does that $23 cover all that? Also, if its a game like Vice City, or even an old game like Medal of Honor, you have to realize that the store most likley has 4 or 5 copies of that game, and it will take FOREVER to sell it, if they ever do at that price.
Old 05-24-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I picked Up used Enter the Matrix for ps2 for 24.99 at my local cd warehouse today, I love that place...
Old 05-24-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There's a cd warehouse near campus, i've been there a few times but I didn't know they sold games, I'll have to check it out.

As for the topic, it was definitely blockbuster, but i figured they wouldn't give you much.

I was curious because awhile back I took advantage of a gamestop deal where if you traded in any 3 games, they gave you an exra $10 on top of that, I made a killing on games I got for cheap, but my store credit is starting to run low.
Old 05-24-03, 07:51 PM
Suspended

Blockbuster? Are you positive? Ive never heard of any Blockbusters taking in old games..
Old 05-24-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally posted by ivelostr2
I picked Up used Enter the Matrix for ps2 for 24.99 at my local cd warehouse today, I love that place...
Wow, good deal
Old 05-24-03, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by GizmoDVD

I think offering $17 for a game which they sell for $40 is a great deal. Where does that extra $23 they 'make' go to?

- RENT
- Paying Employees
- Cleaning your games

Now, does that $23 cover all that? Also, if its a game like Vice City, or even an old game like Medal of Honor, you have to realize that the store most likley has 4 or 5 copies of that game, and it will take FOREVER to sell it, if they ever do at that price.
I expect a store not to gouge me. Used game should be significantly cheaper than the new one. A $5 difference is highway robbery. At the place I worked at, we were making less of a markup than the big chains but we were moving more product. I'd rather have to sell more to make up the difference than to rip off customers. Trust me when I tell you that when it came to games, customers we had that were loyal did so because of our prices and service.
Old 05-25-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I went to a software, etc. tonight to trade Super Mario Advance for Super Mario Advance 2. They gave me $12 for SMA, which I thought was ok, but were charging $29.99 for a used copy of SMA2. I told the guy, why would I buy that when I can get it brand new for the same price? He didn't care, he was like, it's a pretty hard game to find. Are you sure you can get it new? I decided to look at their new games and they had a copy of it new for $34.99. I made them price match it to Best Buy at $29.99 and then got my $12 credit taken off. It's amazing how much they charge for used games there.
Old 05-25-03, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

- RENT
- Paying Employees
- Cleaning your games

The $23 goes in as profit. Whether they take trade-ins or not, rent, salaries, and utilities are going to be the store's expenses no matter what.
Old 05-25-03, 09:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by IamFlip
The $23 goes in as profit. Whether they take trade-ins or not, rent, salaries, and utilities are going to be the store's expenses no matter what.
Nope not true...each additional game means additional employee time, additional space, etc...while bringing in one more game doesn't mean they'll immediately have to hire another employee, if you look at the total ued games brought in there is definitely a cost for processing and housing these games. They also take into account the risk of not selling the game. Ever see the number of out-of-date sports titles in the used racks? Do you think they're ever going to make back what they paid for those games?

FS
Old 05-25-03, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Deftones
I expect a store not to gouge me. Used game should be significantly cheaper than the new one. A $5 difference is highway robbery.
Why? Forget what they paid for the game...you're getting exactly the same experience as someone who buys a new game, except that it's opened. Just becaue they pay $20 for a used game, doesn't mean you should get it for $25...there are expenses associated with selling games, and they also take the risk that they will never sell the game they just bought.

FS
Old 05-25-03, 12:54 PM

A bit out of the subject, but since when does software etc. pricematch?
Old 05-25-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by FlashStash
Why? Forget what they paid for the game...you're getting exactly the same experience as someone who buys a new game, except that it's opened. Just becaue they pay $20 for a used game, doesn't mean you should get it for $25...there are expenses associated with selling games, and they also take the risk that they will never sell the game they just bought.

so let's equate this to everyday life. If i go and look at a used car and it has a price tag of $15,000. I then go look at a dealer for the same car new. It has a price tag of $15,500. Which do i buy? Obviously the new one. Sure, this isn't quite the same example, but you could make the "car" anything. What about a used PS2? Some of these places charge almost the same price for a used one as a new one. Why take the risk on it not working and having to hassle with replacing it when I can buy a perfectly new one for near the same price.

I don't know about you, used means cheaper than the new price. This goes with anything that is used. Once you use it, it depreciates in value. I, among with many others will not shop at those places due to their pricing policies.

As for taking the risk, sure they are taking a risk. But, you forget they can refuse to take in the game. That's their problem if they get stuck with a game that doesn't sell. Working in the retail game market for at least 5 years, I know that the cure for a game that won't sell is a reduced price. Sell it for $15. Sure you are losing $5 if you took it in for $20, but it's revenue.

I just don't buy into the notion that a store needs to mark up games that high to make a profit. My friend, who owns 2 "mom and pop" shops does more than fine with his pricing. He doesn't gouge the customer on prices. The best thing I always heard was when people would come in there for the first time, see the used game they want, and comment that they saw it at EB or GameStop or whereever for a few bucks cheaper than a new copy. They weren't about to pay that price, but when they saw our price, they bought the game.
Old 05-25-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
I expect a store not to gouge me. Used game should be significantly cheaper than the new one. A $5 difference is highway robbery. At the place I worked at, we were making less of a markup than the big chains but we were moving more product. I'd rather have to sell more to make up the difference than to rip off customers. Trust me when I tell you that when it came to games, customers we had that were loyal did so because of our prices and service.
Stores will charge what the market will handle. In this case, enough people must be paying the jacked up price to make it profitable. Other stores go for quantity at lower price.

The best thing to do is to not support the place that is jacking people and to support the places that provide good prices and decent service (although not to many places that have the best prices provide the best service).
Old 05-25-03, 04:06 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sniper308
The best thing to do is to not support the place that is jacking people and to support the places that provide good prices and decent service (although not to many places that have the best prices provide the best service).

I avoid game stores like the plague. I only venture in when they have a good trade in deal, i.e. trade 2 games (with few if any exclusions), get a new game for $10.
Old 05-25-03, 04:32 PM
Suspended

Hey...

I was just making a point on the $23. My store (Game Crazy) pays really good for games. For Matrix its $30. For Usa GBA titles usually $13.75. We will then sell them for $39.99 used and $19.99 used. We don't make that much profit, but they sell fast. (We also don't require Boxes/manuals or anything. We buy games that are in mint condition the same price as we buy a used one with no manuals and scratches)

Im still not sure why people get mad when we will only pay them $20 for a game they have owned for 4 months. If you were to rent that game for 4 months, you would be paying $80 for it. To buy a game for $50 and get $20 back on it in 4 months is a great deal.

Also, why is it EB only sells used games for $5 less then the new? How much of a value is that?
Old 05-25-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(We also don't require Boxes/manuals or anything. We buy games that are in mint condition the same price as we buy a used one with no manuals and scratches)
Well that's pretty dumb. I know I pass on incomplete games, even if I am looking for that game (unless it's a really good deal, which $19.99 is not, unless it retails at the low price places for $29.99 or something).
Old 05-25-03, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Breakfast, yeah, it can be. Its great for people that throw everything away or lose it, but its bad for people who want complete copys.
Old 05-25-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bottom line, it's up to you whether or not you want to pay $5 less for a used game, you can always buy it somewhere else. IMO it's not worth it. Besides, if the manual is missing, that alone is worth the $5.

Those who rent games usually try to finish the game by return date and not hold on to it for 4 months.

Stores are in the business to make money. They have the right to price items the way they want and you have the right to buy/not buy it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.