Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What ever happened to the director's cut of "Highlander: Endgame"?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I remember there being a lot of talk about this and a director's cut was promised but instead what we got was a producer's cut that was actually worse than the theatrical cut (don't get me started on the horrible alternate ending). Now I know that it's been stated numerous times that the special effects footage in the trailers was never meant to be in the film but there's a lot of other material that apparently was (look at the deleted scenes and workprint featured in the DVD set) and I was always curious how the director would have pieced this all together. Would his cut been like the Japanese cut (I hear everything is edited much differently in that one)?
Old 05-22-03, 08:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't really know. This was one of my favorite Highlander movies. I was looking forward to it but mabye they scrapped it because it didn't do too well.
Old 12-27-23, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Re: What ever happened to the director's cut of "Highlander: Endgame"?

I stumbled across this on YouTube. I had nobodies there were additional materials and characters. Apparently this one was lost in a fire, but you can see some still shots.

I wonder if this is something you could feed AI and recreate the missing material!

The following 2 users liked this post by Superman07:
RocShemp (12-28-23), Why So Blu? (12-27-23)
Old 12-28-23, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. That's the most I've ever seen of that infamous deleted scene.

I remember how the producers have always been dismissive of its deletion because they claimed Yung Dol Kim didn't put up a fight and simply let the Kurgan kill him. It looks like it actually would have been a fun fight to watch.
Old 12-28-23, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wow. That's the most I've ever seen of that infamous deleted scene.

I remember how the producers have always been dismissive of its deletion because they claimed Yung Dol Kim didn't put up a fight and simply let the Kurgan kill him. It looks like it actually would have been a fun fight to watch.
I didn’t even know about it! Plus that video was posted 6 years ago. By your statement about producers clearly this is more widely known or talked about than I’d have thought.
Old 12-28-23, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

But what about the director's cut of Endgame?
Old 12-28-23, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocket1312
But what about the director's cut of Endgame?
Never materialized.
Old 12-29-23, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

A former co-worker of mine, one of the dullest boomers I've ever known (he wears a holster for his phone) holds the patent for Kurgan's sword. Neither the producers nor the designer of the sword thought about a patent, so he re-build the sword and had it patented.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (12-29-23)
Old 12-29-23, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
A former co-worker of mine, one of the dullest boomers I've ever known (he wears a holster for his phone) holds the patent for Kurgan's sword. Neither the producers nor the designer of the sword thought about a patent, so he re-build the sword and had it patented.
Hopefully he made some money off of that. I guess if a company wanted to make replicas for sale or whatever, they'd have to pay him or something. Have there ever been proper replicas made for the collector's market?
Old 12-29-23, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Hopefully he made some money off of that. I guess if a company wanted to make replicas for sale or whatever, they'd have to pay him or something. Have there ever been proper replicas made for the collector's market?
I have a copy of one of the Katana swords (I think Duncan’s) that I purchased at a store easily 10-15 years ago. They’re out of business now, but I recall they sold several movie type replicas. I can’t remember if Kurgan’s was ever offered. I think there also used to be a Highlander mail order catalogue too. If anyplace sold any I’d imagine it had to have been there.

EDIT: Says they’re officially licensed.

https://www.martoswordstoledo.com/highlander-sword/163-highlander-kurgan-sword-limited-edition.html
Old 12-29-23, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

So I guess, he's making some money off of that. He's just a weird guy. Pretty much looking like Dwight Schrute and in every meeting he was drawing sexy anime women with swords.
Old 01-01-24, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Have they ever identified the actor who played this character. The distinctly Korean-sounding character name (and yes, I’m aware that he was supposed to be ‘Mongolian’) certainly doesn’t match the face, but I’ll leave the Highlander mythology to those more well-versed in it. It just seems like there’s no info, even today, on who actually played the part.