Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Problems with Netflix lost DVDs?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-03, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else experiencing an alarming uptick in the number of DVDs you've had to report lost to Netflix? I've been a member since almost the very beginning (1999), and have rented countless movies (3-4 a week on average). Up until recently, I have only had 2-3 DVDs lost. Now, suddenly, since March I've had to report SEVEN lost DVDs! (These are DVDs I've sent back to Netflix). Anyone else having the same problems? My distribution center is in Santa Ana, CA. At this rate, I'm afraid that my account's going to be suspended and I'll have to [shudder] go back to Blockbuster or Hollywood Video.

I've called Netflix and one of their reps said that they were having some problems with their distribution centers. But, jeez, SEVEN DVDs in two months?
Old 05-21-03, 08:04 PM

Where are you mailing these from? It might that they are being stolen from your mailbox.
Old 05-21-03, 08:20 PM

Thought of that. I've mailed these DVDs from home, office, and even directly dropped one off at the local post office. The DVDs have been lost from all three locations (even the only one I dropped off at the post office was purportedly not received by Netflix, believe it or not).
Old 05-21-03, 08:27 PM

Just a thought. I have not had any lost in quite a while. I did get the wrong mailed to me for the first time.
Old 05-21-03, 09:51 PM

I too have been with Netflix since the start and have only had 4 missing DVDs. One was later found by Netflix, 2 were mailed directly from the post office and one was mailed from work. Those 3 were the only ones I ever mailed from anywhere but home. So, now I only mail from home and have had no futher problems. Sometimes I think those distinctive mailers attract some light fingered postal employees.
Old 05-22-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My center is also Santa Ana, and been a member for just over a year. Haven't lost a single disc yet [crosses fingers].
Old 05-22-03, 09:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've found that a lot of OOP and rare DVD's that I receive from Netflix get "lost" when I return them.
Old 05-22-03, 01:17 PM

I also send to the Santa Ana center (from San Diego). No lost disc for over a year and then this last February, two went missing.

I always drop them off at the post office and they normally get back to Netflix the next day.
Old 05-22-03, 02:52 PM

I'm also using the Santa Ana center, and I've had two lost in the last month. One was being sent to me, one I was returning. In the previous 3+ years, only one DVD was lost.

I would hope the Netflix monitors these lost DVD reports and takes action when a certain center "spikes".
Old 05-22-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
I've never had a disc get lost like that, but Black Christmas just showed up a couple of days ago. They shipped it at the end of March and it vanished for 6 weeks or so before materializing in my mailbox.

tasha
Old 05-24-03, 12:50 AM
omi

Yup, I send to the Santa Ana distribution center and have lost 3 discs within the last 4 months. I drop the discs off directly at the post office which leaves me wondering.
Old 05-24-03, 10:20 AM
Banned

The other day I read an article in VideoBusiness about this subject, Netflix actually got the Postal Police involved, they traced the theft to mail carriers and apparently the loss to Netflix runs into the hundreds of thousands of $$$.
Apparently if there is a pattern of loss/theft in a particular area, they WILL investigate and prosecute, they have the ability with the postal service of tracking if a package was INFACT delivered or not.
And based on the +4 zipcode, they can pretty much narrow down the culprit.
My suggestion is that if you guys are experiencing such a problem from the same geographic area, file a complaint with your local post office.