Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bunuel Y La Mesa Del Rey Salomon (R2 PAL Spain)?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 05-20-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bunuel Y La Mesa Del Rey Salomon / Bunuel and King Solomon's Table

Does anyone know anything about this title and the dvd release? I am thinking about picking this up since I am a huge Bunuel fan and it sounds interesting.

Anyone here own this disc already? If so is it a good release?

Thanks

Product Link
Old 05-21-03, 12:14 AM

I actually just got this a few weeks ago from dvdgo.com. I am a huge Bunuel/Dali fan but what made me go through with geting it was the director, Carlos Saura, maker of fine spanish muscal films like Flamenco and Tango.
The DVD has great picture quality and a good ammount of extras but the actual movie and its story are not that great. It certainly has some great things in it, like the haunting gypsy music or the scenes where dali paintings come alive; though sadly, they are lost on a plot that is needlessly convoluted and does not seem to lead anywhere.
There are a lot of subtle omages throughout the film that the Bunuel/Dali fan can appreciate, but you are still left feeling that the movie could have been a lot better given the director and the subject matter. It is an amusing film that has its value but might not actually be worth the $ + shipping. For Bunuel insights there is no better source than his own work.
Old 05-21-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cool, thanks for the info. I am spending too much on movies this week as it is so I will hold off on it for now, but eventually I will pick it up. The haunting gypsy music and Dali's paintings coming alive, that you mentioned, is enough to bring my interest level up a little higher.

Thanks.