Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Tetris Attack - any updates or any games like it?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-20-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I had the good fortune to play Tetris Attack on the SNES the other day, and very much enjoyed it. I was wondering if the Gamecube, PS2 or Xbox had a version of this game (or a similar one) on their consoles. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-20-03, 11:29 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres a game out in Japan for the GC called Nintendo Puzzle Collection (or something similar) and a version of Tetris Attack is included. I believe it's the version released on the N64 as Pokemon Puzzle League (same game, but with a pokemon instead of Yoshi theme). Several other nintendo puzzle games are included as well, Tetris, Dr. Mario, etc.

It's rumored to be coming out over here sometime if you don't want to import it. The GC is a good system to import games for though, as you don't have to mod it, but rather can just by the Freeloader disc.
Old 05-20-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
How does Tetris Attack work, anyway? Is it anything like Super Puzzle Fighter?
Old 05-20-03, 01:45 PM
Retired

Not really, you just rearrange blocks by moving a cursor around that looks somthing like [ ][ ]. Pressing the button switches the two blocks you have selected.

Get big combos and immovable blocks fall on your oponents screen.

It's kind of simple, but complex at the same time, and a ton of fun.
Old 05-20-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes I loved Tetris Attack, I was a combo making machine .

There actually was an update (sort of), called Pokemon Puzzle League for the N64. Even if you don't like Pokemon, don't be afraid to get this, the game is Tetris Attack to the core, but they have added some new features like a 3D mode, but you can still choose the option to play it in regular classic 2D mode. Other than that I think the sprites and blocks had better graphics, and the sound effects, you know the "pop pop POP" sounds of blocks when they explode .

I'm pretty sure that Nintendo Puzzle Collection for the GC is coming out in the U S, and Tetris Attack is included in that game collection.
Old 05-20-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow.. I never thought I'd say something like this, but I would much prefer a Pokemon themed Tetris game than Yoshi. I hate that thing so much.

I'm actually curious why NPG hasn't made it over yet? How much localization could a puzzle game require?
Old 05-20-03, 09:15 PM

Tetris attack was very very addictive once you had gotten into the flow. A blink would've put off your rhythm in the vs games when you play your freinds. I will pick this up once it comes out and imagine it had online play. Time to get a bottle of Visine
Old 05-20-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

'Nintendo Puzzle Collection' is coming to the U.S. However there is still no release date.

Here is the official E3 page for 'Nintendo Puzzle Collection' which contains gameplay footage. According to the site, all three games include a four-player vs. mode and you can transfer each game to your GBA.
Old 05-20-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Ahh. Tetris Attack. What a blast.
Old 05-21-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
There was also one for the GBC called Pokemon Puzzle League, so basically a younger brother for the N64 one.