Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 5-20-03 "The Chosen"

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
Buffy 5-20-03 "The Chosen"

I know it's a bit early, but I just wanted to be the one who started the thread that would be the last one ever devoted to a new episode.
Old 05-18-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I wanted to be the first to post in the new thread!

Seriously, I just watched all 21 episodes from this season. Wow! What a great season. I still don't care for how everyone turned on Buffy at the end, but we'll see how everything plays out on Tuesday.
Old 05-19-03, 12:51 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who would've thought that THAT character was killed!
Old 05-19-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, it turns out that Buffy is a closet vampire, and she's so worried about anyone finding out, she became a slayer to look less obvious. I can't believe it. Also, Giles gets on a spaceship and goes back to Kwalsnard, his home planet.

Whoops! I just spoiled it for everyone. Sorry.
Old 05-19-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get to see the last episode of Buffy ever in about nine hours. Can't believe that it is really going to be over. Looks like Sidney Bristow is going to be my new female fave on TV now...
Old 05-19-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's wrong with Amy Acker? She's no Buffy but very cute!

Alias failed to grab me with its first episode and I haven't really watched a full episode since. I might have to watch season one when it hits DVD and get caught up somehow. I just don't see the shows appeal, but many say the same about Buffy.
Old 05-19-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
My god!

I can't believe Faith killed Buffy to call a Kennedy as the new slayer! That was so hardcore, just sticking that knife in her gut like that.

And then when Spike attacked Faith... she looked pretty dead to me, but I have feeling she be back as a vampire. I always wanted to see what kind of vampire a slayer would make. Too bad Xander dusted Spike, but it was a long time coming.

Maybe we'll see a "Kennedy the Vampire Slayer" series with Faith as the big bad vampire.

Spoiler:
NOT! Just messing with you, folks!
Old 05-19-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it's over for me... I watched it, i liked the humor and stuff, It was sad thinking this is IT...glancing at the clock every now and then thinking, 43 minutes of Buffy, uh oh 10 minutes of Buffy left, what am I going to do?!?!

I am glad I read the spoilers, I don't think I could have made it through the last few episodes and not have a heart attack if I didn't already know how it was going to turn out.
Spoiler:
One thing that was supposed to happen that I didn't see was the hand sticking out of the ground at the end. What's up with this? Spike lives because he is going to be on Angel (SO I'VE HEARD). "Yea Buffy, what are we gonna do now?"
Old 05-19-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm...apparently what really happens is not what has been reported.

Spoiler:
Spike being signed for Angel kind of takes suspense out of it, unless that is just B.S.
Old 05-19-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm hoping the WB makes an announcement this week to clear up the whole Spike issue... I was quite surprised to see that ending and now think the whole "spike to angel" thing may have been a team whedon red herring....mother****ers.

Overall I thought it was a good episode and a nice way to wrap up the series... I did think the final "Girl Power" thing was a tad overdone, but it summed up the series nicely, so I'll buy it.

I can't believe Anya died...my favourite character... I let out a howl when it happened...and I won't lie... my eyes teared up towards the end when Andrew talks to Xander.

I love how they wiped Sunnydale off the map...that was classic...

I am sad to see the show go, but luckily they went out in a blaze of glory...thank god for Angel.

MATT

edited to remove "spoiler" tags since show has aired in all areas now

Last edited by mdc3000; 05-21-03 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-19-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched the final episode here in Canada. To me, this was an excellent episode, probably the best one of the season. It had a lot of the trademark Buffy humor that has been missing for much of this season. I pretty much hated most of the season, and felt that it was too drawn out, but this almost redeems it.

Spoiler:
Pretty much all the main characters except Anya survive (although Spike disintegrates, we know that he is supposed to end up on Angel). Giles says a line something to the effect that the world is in trouble after Buffy, Xander, and Willow go off on a tangent about shopping (which is the same line that he uttered in one of the first Buffys). I am wondering with all the new Slayers in the world now, will this change be acknowledged in Angel next season?

Great episode, great ending, great series.
Old 05-19-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm going to spoilerize just some of my thoughts on the series finale (do not read unless you've seen the episode):

Spoiler:
Not all that crazy with the "plan" that Whedon came up with for Buffy's dilemna.

Still can't around Buffy's Wolverine-like healing powers in the last battle.

I also have to wonder if those stories of Spike joining Angel next season were just deception due to how things played out in this series finale.

While funny, much of the dialogue in the beginning of the episode seem to throw years of character development away and did reduce Angel and Spike to Dawson and Pacey (even if Joss gives homage to it, it still feels false).

I'll post more tomorrow when everyone else has seen it.

Overall, I give the series finale an B+.
Old 05-19-03, 08:26 PM

Haven't seen the episode yet but read the spoilers weeks ago so know what's coming...as to what's bugging everybody (don't read unless you want tomorrow night and possibly future show possibilities spoiled):

Spoiler:
the Spike on Angel thing...I'm only a semi-uber-fan so may be slightly incorrect in my phrasing but most Buffy boards explain this as the shansu prophecy. Everyone (including Angel) thought he would fulfull the shanshu (a vampire with a human soul that would make the ultimate sacrifice and be rewarded with humanity). However, if you've seen the episode you know that what Spike does could be considered the ultimate sacrifice and as such it will be him that fulfills the shanshu. Ergo, good chance Spike will be human next season on Angel Again, only a semi-uber-fan so excuse the "easy monkey" explanation LOL
Old 05-19-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally posted by kaisha no saru

Spoiler:
the Spike on Angel thing...I'm only a semi-uber-fan so may be slightly incorrect in my phrasing but most Buffy boards explain this as the shansu prophecy. Everyone (including Angel) thought he would fulfull the shanshu (a vampire with a human soul that would make the ultimate sacrifice and be rewarded with humanity). However, if you've seen the episode you know that what Spike does could be considered the ultimate sacrifice and as such it will be him that fulfills the shanshu. Ergo, good chance Spike will be human next season on Angel Again, only a semi-uber-fan so excuse the "easy monkey" explanation LOL
Spoiler:
Yeah, but Spike didn't necessarily fulfill the Shanshu prophecy. My God, these people have an apocalypse every other week...
Old 05-19-03, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
"Sweet girl, not that bright."
Old 05-19-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am so very sad now. At the same time, it was a great ending to the show. The humor was there, I loved the Giles\trio thing in the middle of school, and
Spoiler:
was fully expecting both Anya and Spike to bite it (though I thought either Faith or Buffy would go as well).
Can't really say much more than that right now.

(goes off to continue sobbing uncontrollably)
Old 05-19-03, 09:23 PM
Cool New Member

Wow, I can't believe Buffy is over!! What a bittersweet ending to a fantastic series, I was hoping for something more cheery but this is Buffy we're talking about. Anyways, I give the episode an A-, it would get an A if there wasn't so much emphasis on
Spoiler:
Spike
. I still think the episode "the gift" would be the ultimate sendoff for Buffy. That episode beautifully summed up what Buffy and her whole life was about in a single episode and actually provided a real sense of closure. And all the core Scoobies got there own special moment to shine.
Old 05-19-03, 09:57 PM

What did Spike say when
Spoiler:
he woke up from his dream in the basement? I couldn't make it out, so I wonder if maybe he was having some type of prophetic dream about how he will come back to life for his days on Angel. Then again since I didn't make out what he said it could have just been a nonsense line for a joke.
Old 05-19-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't believe Mulder came back!

Oh, wait wrong thread....
Old 05-19-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's what sort of bugs me about the resolution:

Spoiler:
Seems like being a slayer ain't really all that special anymore, does it?
Old 05-20-03, 12:00 AM

Wow, Strongbad and Buffy together at last! I never thought I'd see a Strongbad reference, well, anywhere on TV, let alone Buffy. TROGDOR!!!!

Spoiler:
Yeah, when it got to the finale, I started wondering if the "Spike on Angel next season" talk was just to throw people off. Of course, no one even knows now if Spike's ok or not. And I miss Anya already...

And, destroying Sunnydale: perfect way to end it. When they graduate high school at the end of season 3, what else can they do but destroy the high school. And so this is just the natural progression of that.

While I liked the episode a lot, part of me wanted something different. The Buffy/Angel/Spike thing just didn't work for me. While the cookie speech was funny, overall I was just saying "come on, get on with the good stuff already."

Spoiler:
Ok, back to spoiler space. When I watched the episode for the second time (yeah, I'm addicted) it was also pretty far-fetched how quickly Buffy recovered from her itchy mortal wound. On second though, maybe that's just her slayer strength coming through for her.
Old 05-20-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Here's what sort of bugs me about the resolution:

Spoiler:
Seems like being a slayer ain't really all that special anymore, does it?
Spoiler:
I guess the resolution was meant to free her. I kind of didn't care for the lighthearted nature of the ending with Xander joking about The Gap being gone and all. But the second time I saw it I realized that Buffy's smile meant she was free to at last live her life free of the burden of being THE slayer. The entire time during the final battle, I thought the same thing. "I guess there's thousands of them now." But then I realized that Kendra and Faith were also slayers, and Buffy was still top dog. In my mind she still is. Boy do I need to get a life.
Old 05-20-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Dvdsky
Wow, Strongbad and Buffy together at last! I never thought I'd see a Strongbad reference, well, anywhere on TV, let alone Buffy. TROGDOR!!!!
That was awesome, gotta love the Burninator!
Old 05-20-03, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not sure how to organize my thoughts on this episode, so I'm not going to. Nothing that happened made particularly "logical" sense, and the leaps in plot were incredibly far-fetched, and I'm sure some people aren't going to be happy with it, but it doesn't really matter to me. This finale had impossible expectations, and there's really nothing they could have done to satisfy anyone, and it seems like they recognized that and put the "fun" back into the final two episodes. We went back to basics with crisp dialogue, witty references, and a nice homage to the original Scoobies that started this whole train seven years ago.

Ultimately, if there is one truth in the Buffyverse, it's that Good and Evil will always be around in a constant struggle. There will always be another apocalypse around the corner (or in the case of this season's Angel, an anti-apocalypse of sorts), and there will always be someone left to reset the balance. Consequently, there is no ultimate gratification for "saving the world" in the series finale. They've saved it before; they (or someone else) will save it again. They've fought grand sweeping battles, defeated numerous Big Bads, made heroic speeches about love and friendship, and given their lives to save each other and the world. It's all been done, and will have to be done again ... and again.

The gratification then comes from releasing Buffy from the chains that have been the foundation of the show from the beginning. While we've grown to love all these characters, the show isn't Slayer and Friends, it's Buffy, the Vampire Slayer ... at its heart, it has always been about one lonely girl carrying the weight of the world. She has great and powerful friends, but in the end it was always up to her, and she's never been able to truly find any happiness. While it took some leaps in plot and some suspension of disbelief to get there, it's a resolution I can be happy with: Good vs. Evil is the constant ... that Buffy no longer carries this burdon alone is something to celebrate, and I'm very happy for her.

I don't want to overanalyze this finale. It is what it is ... and looking back on the entire series, I find it to be fitting. It's painful to close this chapter of television history, but I'm very thankful I've been able to participate from the initial airing of "Welcome to the Hell Mouth" all the way to today. I watch a lot of television and enjoy most of it, but Buffy is one of those few shows that I genuinely love. It's difficult to "set it free," but it will always be in my heart. It had a great run, and I look forward to a lifetime of reminiscing about how special this show really was. My thanks go out to everyone who played a part in enriching the television landscape with this wonderful show. Its legacy will certainly endure long after tonight's airing.
Old 05-20-03, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mmmm_cookies
...I still think the episode "the gift" would be the ultimate sendoff for Buffy. That episode beautifully summed up what Buffy and her whole life was about in a single episode and actually provided a real sense of closure. And all the core Scoobies got there own special moment to shine.
I would really have to disagree with that BECAUSE
Spoiler:
Do you know how many fans would be devistated beyond all hope? I'd almost put money on the fact there would be suicides and it would be big disaster. While I wouldnt go that far, I would be upset, probably have to take a couple days off work to grieve. Im a big fan myself, but I know people out there who are fanatical about it.

One thing about the ending that kind of bothered me was
Spoiler:
how Xander did not seem really too upset about Anya's death.

I do feel that the end was fitting,
Spoiler:
The whole "what do we do now" comments were right on. To me, it seemed to be left open for a continuation of some kind in the future, Giles mentioning another hellmouth. It's not a "they all lived happily ever after ending" but not a tragic ending either. Kind of an open ended thing I think.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.