Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

SNL -- 05.17.2003 -- Season Finale

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-17-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this is the last ep for Jimmy Fallon, will this be a 90m craptacular Fallon-fest?
Old 05-17-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Ohmigod!

Jeff Richards did something mildly amusing!!!!
Old 05-17-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
wow.... i came in at the end of the over the hill lounge act skit with akroyd and kattan, only to then be subjected to the Falconer. Terrible. and now i have to listen to Jay Z not have any sense of rythm whatsoever.
Old 05-17-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

YES! ASTRONAUT JONES!

I'm so glad to see that one last time.
Old 05-18-03, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There was no mention of it being Fallon's last episode, but Aykroyd did say it was the end for Kattan and Morgan. One of the better shows this season. Despite having done nothing of interest since Driving Miss Daisy, Aykroyrd was a very good host. Of course, since he started in sketch comedy, you'd expect him to be better at it than, say, Bernie Mac.

"Hardball"
Long, but Hammond is good as the host.

Monologue
Yuck, what happened to Jim Belushi? He looks like Edward G. Robinson now. I was a little embarassed watching two overweight middle-aged men prancing around the stage like rock stars.

"Top 'O the Morning"
I always like this skit, and Fallon and Meyers are good as the two stereotypical Irish.

Rialto lounge act
I'm glad we're not going to have to see this one ever again with Kattan gone. Armisen's one appearance of the night.

"The Falconer"
Check last week's SNL thread, you'll see that I predicted an appearance by John Goodman, and here he is. Stupid, but funny when you see a cheap falcon puppet clearing out a barroom.

"TV Funhouse
Picking on Ben and J-Lo is just too easy now and has been done much better. The Duvall dog was pretty creepy.

Donatelle Versace
Maya Rudolph is great as Donatella. Richards makes an appearance as David Letterman.

Weekend Update
Drunk girl! I think she's hilarious. Nice touch seeing Kattan run through all his characters one last time before disappearing forever into the abyss of obscurity.

Astronaut Jones
I never got this skit.

Dog restaurant
Some fairly obvious bitch and butt-sniffing jokes, but seeing a roomful of people barking at each other...

Dr. Deacon ad with Sam Eliott
The one bomb of the show. Aykroyd did a good impression, but there was nothing to work with.

Honk!
Old 05-18-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
There was no mention of it being Fallon's last episode, but Aykroyd did say it was the end for Kattan and Morgan. One
I noticed that too...but according to the SNL thread that was posted a couple days ago [and other past instances], he's one of the ones leaving..

I saw the first skit and the very end. Tracy seemed very sad. In a way I felt sorry for him..

Oh well.
Old 05-18-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
. Tracy seemed very sad. In a way I felt sorry for him..

Don't feel sorry for him. Wait until his sitcom is pulled after three airings, then you can feel sorry for him.

Honk!
Old 05-18-03, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Don't feel sorry for him. Wait until his sitcom is pulled after three airings, then you can feel sorry for him.

Honk!
No, you should wait until he is reduced to doing deorodant commericals and appearances at run-down comedy clubs in ood places in Canadas.
Old 05-18-03, 01:57 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
I thought it was ok.

I love the Hardball skits. Hammond's impression of Chris Matthews is great.
Old 05-18-03, 08:08 AM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts
After the dog skit I couldn't take it anymore...

When drunk girl flashed Fallon I about fell out of my chair... I think that was the only time I laughed (except for Hardball, Hammond looked like he was going crack a few times).

"Julio..."

"Even the Irish run out of names..." (They were so ready to crack during this skit.)
Old 05-18-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I thought this was the absolute worst episode of the season.

It was if for the season finale, they decided to dredge out all the the unfunny recurring skits on elast time. Drunk girl? Check. Falconer? Check. Donatella? Check. Ugh.

I knew it was going to be a bad show when they started off first after the monologue with "Top of the Morning,"

And then that lounge singer sketch that goes on for an eternity. The only good thing about it is Fred Armisen, which tells you something since he sits in the background and only does 1 or 2 things.

I did like Astronaut Jones again. That is a one-joke skit, but at least they always have the sense to wrap it up after the one-joke. Good seeing Hammon as Chris Matthews again, but this Hardball skit didn't have much there. The cartoon was funny, but nowhere near as good as last week's.

I liked Chris Kattan's montage during Weekend Update, which otherwise sucked.

It was sad that John Goodman was in the show last night more than Tracy Morgan.
Old 05-18-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The show wasn't bad...but I hate Drunk Girl and the Falconer (although tonight's was tolerable)... sad to see the end of ASTRONAUT JONES...but that's ok... it was pretty damn funny.

“Oh, come on. Cut the crap, Maya. You know I've been wanting to get you pregnant.”

MATT
Old 05-18-03, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

falconer sucks. why do they bother with that?

was it fallons last show? they gave kattan his props but not fallon.
Old 05-18-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't beleive i missed Drunk-Girl.

I love that skit. And i think i'm the only one.
Old 05-18-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
falconer does indeed suck. I never saw the appeal of that skit.
Old 05-18-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mdc3000

“Oh, come on. Cut the crap, Maya. You know I've been wanting to get you pregnant.”
Probably my favorite line of the season.

This show was a complete trainwreck. When did Jim Belushi replace John Goodman in the Blues Brothers (which itself is something that should have expired 20 years ago)?

Was Amy Poehler on this show? I can't really remember seeing her, but I did fastforward though a lot of it, so I can't really be sure.

Too bad that Morgan is gone. He was criminally underused, but hopefully he will go on to some degree of success with his sitcom, whenever it shows up on the air.
Old 05-18-03, 07:12 PM
Retired

Amy Poehler was on their. She was in the Dog Skit, and maybe some others. I didn't watch all that closely as I was doing other stuff at the time as it was a boring episode IMO.
Old 05-18-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I forgot about it until midnight due to The Road Warrior on sci-fi (widescreen)
are you saying I missed Hardball? damn
the dog skit was pretty good, some of them did a good job acting like dogs, and the fact that they were really ripping on NY's stupid laws was perfect
Astronaught Jones is always great
Old 05-18-03, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY

No, you're not.

D'yawanna know who it is?

Dwanna know who is?

Dwannanowhois?

Dwanna?

Honk!
Old 05-18-03, 10:53 PM
CMc
Cool New Member

Ah ha, I KNEW Drunk Girl had a few fans!

Hope that guy stays on the show!
Old 05-19-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Azrael Abyss!!!
Old 05-19-03, 02:11 AM

I don't think Fallon is leaving just yet. Tina Fay signed on for a bit longer and I don't see him just leaving the Weekend Update News Desk just yet. I'm pretty sure it was all rumors about him leaving, I can't stand him anymore, but frankly he is the biggest star on the show now and he would be stupid to leave at the time being.
Old 05-19-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate that Jimmy Fallon has to be in practically every skit on the show, it seems like. I guess he is a big "star", but even his heydey I don't remember Eddie Murphy being that over-used.

Oh well, at least we didn't have to sit through another Jarret sketch in the season finale. That was one recurring skit they decided to spare us from.
Old 05-19-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY

Nah, count me in too. I thought I was the only one who liked drunk girl (before you came forward)

I normally don't care for Beyonce (as a person, or her music), but have to admit the first song she did on the show was pretty smokin'.
Old 05-19-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would just like to say thanks to SNL for changing Amy Poehler. She was hilarious on UCB, but thanks to SNL she has morphed into the typical television "celebrity" trash (going on Regis & Kelly?!). I feel that she is terribly underused, simply because I know her range from UCB. Oh well ....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.