Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

BEWARE: North American DVD.com

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-03, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all -

I recently ordered from North American DVD.com (a Canadian company) and I have had some pretty big problems. See below e-mail... Imagine my surprise when I opened today's shipment... Has anybody else had these issues? I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and am hoping they will correct this issue but so far I'm not impressed. I will let you know how it turns out. Any advice? I'm worried about the remainder of my order, especially as their website has a 'database under construction' heading...

To whom it may concern -

I placed a 13 DVD order on 4-8-03 of which I have already recieved 3 DVD's already. I am concerned about what has happened for my 'Robin Hood: Special Edition' order and some other items.

I ordered the Robin Hood: Special Edition which is scheduled to be released on JUNE 10 2003(SKU# 085392378029). North American DVD then sent me the previous release of Robin Hood which was the wrong DVD. I had to spend $15.30 of my own money to ship it back to you. You asked me to include a detailed account of what the problem was. I sent you the original order, SKU#, copies of our previous e-mails and a detailed description of what the problem was. Today, I recieved in the mail 'Robin Hood: The animated Movie' from Disney.

Again, this is the wrong shipment. I am assuming you will ask me to send this back to you again, costing me another $15 US. So far, I am very displeased.

In addition, I have yet to receive 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' which I think was released in late March. I have also not been notified that 'X-Files Season 7' has been shipped. This title was released this Tuesday.

I have placed an order over $300 with your company and so far I've had 2 problems and 2 late shipped DVD's. I would like to think that this is not your standard way of doing business and would like to see the following items occur: Please refund me the $30.00 in return shipping costs that your company caused me. Please give me notice on when the two titles above will be shipped to me. Please inform me of the address and process for returning the animated Robin Hood back to you so that the correct title may be shipped on JUNE 10.
Old 05-17-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I've only ordered from them once and it was a pleasant experience...not CDNow or Amazon.com perfect, but pleasant..
Old 05-17-03, 11:05 PM

Same here. Sorry for the problems you are having...
Old 05-17-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
$15 to ship a dvd back to canada. It should be far less than that:

Airmail Letter Post 4 - 7 Days $3.75 -Max. length 24", Max. length, height, depth combined 36"

or: Global Priority Mail - Flat-rate Envelope (large) 4 - 6 Days $7.00 - 9-1/2" x 12-1/2"

This was for 1 pound also which is far more than a dvd weighs.

I doubt they will refund you $30 to ship them two dvd's back although I guess it never hurts to ask.

Sorry to hear about your problems let us know what happens.
Old 05-18-03, 02:20 AM

Yah how did you end up paying such a high amount? I'm sure they'll correct to the right title but I don't think you'll get $30 back... it should be around $7 total. If you chose a more expensive method that's your decision...
Old 05-18-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried calling them? I have been working with Angela on a backordered Red Dwarf DVD shipment and she has been nothing but great with me.
Old 05-18-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$15 was what they charged me at the post office. I asked for the slowest service possible. Listening to what you are saying, I have no idea why it cost so much to send it, as I do not ship to Canada, well, ever... However, they can plainly see on the stamp how much I paid and if they were a good business dealer, the y may have offered some instruction in shipping back to Canada for us dumb ol' US citizens.

As far as calling them, I have called them once and recieved no return call. Furthermore, there were instructions in the packaging that said NOT to call unless it was an emergency. I suppose this may constitute an emrgency. I'll see what happens because I'm willing to see what they can do to help me out.

Are they always this late in shipping items?
Old 05-18-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've called twice around the middle of the day and gotten Angela twice who has been quite helpful. I've left one message which did not generate a return call.

As far as an emergency goes, it (to me) means when you have been patient for the longest time (in my case since February) and still have not received your items. It seems that my definition of an emergency might apply in your case.

North American is good on most items if they're in stock. If they're not, then shipping takes a long time.
Old 05-21-03, 11:22 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Kerborus
$15 was what they charged me at the post office. I asked for the slowest service possible.
You should've asked for the cheapest service possible. Maybe they charged you extra for super-slow shipping.
Old 05-22-03, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think they charged me extra for 'stupid' shipper' tax. Anyhow, NADVD simply replied with their robotic form letter and bolded the word 'detailed letter' when asking me to explain the situation. I don't think I could get any more detailed unless I filmed this as a sitcom.
Old 06-09-03, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

June and still no answers

NADVD is horrible. No contact. No replies to e-mail or telephone. Months without DVD's that I have ordered. Beware of this company.
Old 06-09-03, 05:59 AM

Thanks for the heads up Kerb, sorry to hear your woes but if not too late you can dispute the charges on your card if you did get the wrong item. I'll steer clear of them for the time being...