Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

deep discount dvd (store) question

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was considering a purchase of the Family Guy Vol. 1 from deep discount dvd, but it says its backorded. Amazon has it for a dollar more and in stock. In general, how long does deep discount dvd take to fill backorders? Does anyone have a lot of experience with them?
Old 05-16-03, 09:53 AM
Banned

huh?
Old 05-16-03, 09:58 AM
Rest in Peace

Huh just don't forget DeepDiscountDVD is is a sponser that keep our valuable
DVDtalkforum going. Amazon will charge a minimum of $2.99 postage per item which isn't first class either.

DeepDiscountDVD the shipping is *free*! Huh besides $1 more add $2.99 for postage total $3.99, and what is to stop Amazon from saying they are back ordered also? Are you in that big of a hurry, good things come to those who wait. My 2¢ IMHO

Last edited by danol; 05-16-03 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-16-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by danol
Huh just don't forget DeepDiscountDVD is one of our sponsers that keep this DVD talk forum going, besides Amazon will charge a minimum of $2.99 postage per item which isn't first class either.

DeepDiscountDVD the shipping is *free*! Huh besides the saving of $1 add $2.99 for postage. Are you in that big of a hurry, good things come to those who wait. IMHO
Amazon has free shipping for orders over $25.

I've never had anything backordered with DDD, but I would probably just go with Amazon.
Old 05-16-03, 10:33 AM
Rest in Peace

Matt925 the guy wants one item so the free shipping at $25 would not apply, to his only buying one.

If you buy off amazon you have to buy off the net whereas DDD you can buy over their free WATS (Wide Area Telephone Service) line, if you do use a *corded* phone not cordless. Hackers listen for cordless buyers, then they become you with a different address.

They use the credit card to buy all kinds of the things before you realize, when you get your statement you gave that information *willingly*~The credit card was *not* stolen!

Guess who pays for all the merchandise, on given away set of 16 numbers and the *key* expiration date. Banks have a $50 credit limit on stolen cards, not stolen info on a cordless phone or hacked computer. Huh do as you please but chances are if DDD doesn't have iit in stock neither does amazon, for both are really big companies! I got e-mails from Amazon after order was placed we are out of stock, we will ship as soon as we get our shipment blah blah blah.

P.S. I use DDD all the time merchandise ordered over corded phone, never on the net. I have never paid *any* interest or *late* charges for Bank America, now called VISA since I was 18. In 1985 after I informed them of my career ending accident, did they want their card back, they said Mr..... your not a 'risk' your a *guarantee* paying on time, every month, year after year and that was 18 years ago. I am now 56 my credit history is excellent!
Old 05-16-03, 11:07 AM

Free shipping at Amazon applies to ALL ORDERS over $25 dollars. So if you were buying Family Guy, it most certainly would apply. As far as backorder status, though, I doubt it would take long to fill the backorder, since it's still a pretty big title. Of course, if you've been playing Amazon.com trivia (though it's rarely available these days) you can get up to 10% off.
Old 05-16-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts
huh?,

I've bought several backordered items from Deep Discount and the shipping time always varies (widely, I've had discs ship within a couple days to up to a month). If I were you I'd go ahead and order from Amazon. It's in stock and the shipping is free.
Old 05-16-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When do you need it by or planning to watch it?

Tonight = Local B&M but pay a little more
Soon = Amazon
Don't know = DDD, lowest price

Time = money
Old 05-16-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh just don't forget DeepDiscountDVD is is a sponser that keep our valuable
DVDtalkforum going.
So is Amazon, I believe?

And as others have pointed out, shipping would be free at Amazon as well.

Rob
Old 05-16-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

its not a big rush so i ordered it from DD DVD.

I was just a little curious as I’ve never ordered from them before and can't comment as to their reputation. Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-16-03, 12:11 PM
Banned

...moving to store forum...
Old 05-16-03, 12:20 PM

They use the credit card to buy all kinds of the things before you realize, when you get your statement you gave that information *willingly*~The credit card was *not* stolen!

Guess who pays for all the merchandise, on given away set of 16 numbers and the *key* expiration date. Banks have a $50 credit limit on stolen cards, not stolen info on a cordless phone or hacked computer.
That's not true. If a website is hacked or your credit card information is stolen some other way, it is treated the same as a stolen card.
Old 05-16-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt925 the guy wants one item so the free shipping at $25 would not apply, to his only buying one.

If you buy off amazon you have to buy off the net whereas DDD you can buy over their free WATS (Wide Area Telephone Service) line, if you do use a *corded* phone not cordless. Hackers listen for cordless buyers, then they become you with a different address.

Guess who pays for all the merchandise, on given away set of 16 numbers and the *key* expiration date. Banks have a $50 credit limit on stolen cards, not stolen info on a cordless phone or hacked computer. Huh do as you please but chances are if DDD doesn't have iit in stock neither does amazon, for both are really big companies! I got e-mails from Amazon after order was placed we are out of stock, we will ship as soon as we get our shipment blah blah blah.

P.S. I use DDD all the time merchandise ordered over corded phone, never on the net. I have never paid *any* interest or *late* charges for Bank America, now called VISA since I was 18. In 1985 after I informed them of my career ending accident, did they want their card back, they said Mr..... your not a 'risk' your a *guarantee* paying on time, every month, year after year and that was 18 years ago. I am now 56 my credit history is excellent!
Almost nothing stated above is even remotely correct. I recommend you ignore all of it.
Old 05-16-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Guess who pays for all the merchandise
Yeah, so quit it, guys! I'm broke!!

Old 05-16-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm one of the lucky ones who can just drive over to DDD and pick up anything they have in stock.
Old 05-16-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by shill66
I'm one of the lucky ones who can just drive over to DDD and pick up anything they have in stock.
Really? Are they in Chicago? I've ordered from them many times but can't recall. See, I'm moving there in 3 months...
Old 05-16-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're in Itasca, which is in Chicago's NW suburbs, and about a 15 minute drive from where I work. They have an outlet store.
Old 05-16-03, 10:19 PM

... from deep discount dvd, but it says its backorded.
I've noticed that many times the "Back Ordered" remarks (in red) on the DDD site are not accurate.

Sometimes, even when it says it's a Back Ordered item, it might very well be available and ship in 1 to 2 days.

They don't seem to update the status of some DVDs as often as would be desirable.
Old 05-17-03, 12:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
The poor site updates are what frustrate me the most about DDD. I don't want to have to call to fix problems or find out things. I want to just be able to check the status of things. I'm not sure why, but I have never received an order confirmation, order shipment notice, or a single email response to a question from DDD. I have sent orders in under an AOL dial up email, and now cable, and the email problem has never changed. They are nice enough on the phone, but I have had 40% of my orders screwed up in one way or another, so I pay the extra buck and stick with Amazon.
Old 05-17-03, 04:33 PM

From what I've heard, AOL filters out all of the Deep Discount DVD email thinking it is spam. I have also ordered from them but have never received any email from them. I quit ordering from them because of it.
Old 05-19-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by moviezzz
From what I've heard, AOL filters out all of the Deep Discount DVD email thinking it is spam. I have also ordered from them but have never received any email from them. I quit ordering from them because of it.
Wow, I am in shock! I have received e-mails 1) when I place an order and 2) when anything ships. I think their e-mail is getting filtered, or the e-mail that DDD has for you is not correct. I've never had anything screwed up (probably ordered 50-75 DVD's from them over the years), and the one time I did want to change something, I got a prompt reply via e-mail. I would say that both you and RonG617 are in the EXTREME minority.

As for back ordered stuff, on your order status, it says when it is going to ship (if it was a pre-order or back order), and those dates are very accurate from the few back orders I have had from them.
Old 05-22-03, 01:13 AM

I've made about 50 orders at Deep over the past 2 years and the few backorders have been filled within a week or so, like the Ultimate Pamela Anderson from the recent $8.99 Playboy sale which was b/o'd for 5 days. The nice thing is if one item is delayed it doesn't hang up the rest of the order, and they are quick to reflect MSRP reductions.
Old 05-24-03, 05:00 PM
dvdgoddess

Really not true

Wouldn't you think they have a security measure on their phones? Even if you order on their site, you will be on a secure server. Also, they don't charge you for anything you don't sign up with. The only offer I have seen from them is for $10 off your next order and it is at the end of the order. The offer clearly states you would agree for DDD to send your credit card number to them using a secured way. Ordering over the internet is not such a bad thing. Either way, I have enjoyed my orders with DDD and will continue to buy ALL of my DVD's from there.
Old 05-26-03, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RonG617
I have sent orders in under an AOL dial up email, and now cable, and the email problem has never changed.
I would say that using AOL is your main problem :P

but seriously, I have placed many many orders with DDD and use them almost as often as Amazon (and will probably use them more often now that Amazon has no coupons). I find them every bit as reliable as Amazon and their CS parallels Amazon.......and you don't have to jump through hoops and apply 3 or 4 different kinds of discounts to get a good price.
Old 05-26-03, 02:43 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I wish I hadn't ordered from them when they were revamping the web site. 3 orders and 3 problems. One of which involved them sending me and billing me 8 copies of a title. It left a real bad taste with me, so I stick with Amazon. I also wish you could cancel or change orders online. I hate having to call to cancel something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.