Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any recomendations for a new xbox owner?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-03, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the search and went through 5 pages of old threads and couldn't find any recomendation lists...

I just picked up an xbox (mostly to run linux on) and I am wondering if anyone has any game recomendations. It would be great to get some recomendations that my girlfriend may enjoy too, but given the "typical girlfriend game picks", I doubt there will be many xbox titles with cartoony cutsey themes...

So give me some recomendation...oh...no sports games please.
Old 05-14-03, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

halo.... enough said haha
Old 05-14-03, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beach volleyball.. Bouncey bouncey.
Old 05-14-03, 07:01 AM

Splinter cell
Mech assault
Plus, Brute Force is probably going to be cool as hell. 5-28-03

also what the others said!!!

DARTH
Old 05-14-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get live

Wolfenstein
Mech Assault
Ghost Recon
Splinter Cell
LOTR:Two Towers

If you like sports
NHL2k3
NFL2k3
Old 05-14-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're into RPGs, I'd take a look at Morrowind.

Hmm, as for your girlfriend, I'm not sure. My wife plays Tetris on the Xbox, but most of the games she plays are on the Cube or PS2. She did play Morrowind for awhile though.
Old 05-14-03, 08:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Depends what kinds of games you like and whether or not you have a PC and/or another console.
Old 05-14-03, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jet Set Radio Future, Gunvalkyrie, and Panzer Dragoon Orta!
Old 05-14-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Halo
Jedi Outcast
Mvp Baseball 2003
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Old 05-14-03, 11:04 AM

try fuzion frenzy very fun game
Old 05-14-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

buffy the vampire slayer is an excellent game.
Old 05-14-03, 01:59 PM
Banned

Panzer Dragoon Orta!
Old 05-14-03, 04:07 PM

My girlfriend likes The Simpsons Road Rage. It's only $20.

She had some interest in Jet Set Radio Future. Maybe you got that one with your XBox? If not, it's pretty cheap too.
Old 05-14-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Halo
Project Gotham Racing
Max Payne
Serious Sam
The Thing
Old 05-14-03, 07:55 PM

well, since you're going to mod your box in order to run linux, you wont be able to play any xbox live games on live (via broadband). At least that what's suppose to be right? Dont know if there's a "switch" on some of the mod chips to turn them off before you jump on xbox live or not.

anyways, my favs are:
halo
ghost recon (xbox live enabled)
splinter cell

for your girl, she might like DOA extreme vollyball. lots of eye candy for you and some fun gift giving/vollyball action for her.
Old 05-14-03, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by glassdragon
halo.... enough said haha
Yeah, everyone says to get halo...have they dropped that down into theit $19.99 hits collection yet?

Originally posted by BigDave
If you're into RPGs, I'd take a look at Morrowind.
Hmm, as for your girlfriend, I'm not sure. My wife plays Tetris on the Xbox, but most of the games she plays are on the Cube or PS2. She did play Morrowind for awhile though.
Yeah tetris would be a good one, but we have tetris on just about every other console, so there isn't a real need to get it again. We already have the gamecube, which honestly has more games that I play than the selection xbox too...but a realistic game here and there will spice things up...

Originally posted by Lint21
My girlfriend likes The Simpsons Road Rage. It's only $20.
She had some interest in Jet Set Radio Future. Maybe you got that one with your XBox? If not, it's pretty cheap too.
We got simpsons road rage for the GC when it dropped to 29.99 so thats out. Jet set radio future played well, but wasn't too appealing for the girlfriend. I had accidently picked up a v1.1 xbox (which came with the two sega games), but had to go back and exchange for a v1.0 which toysrus still had...back before the S controller. According to the xbox linux people, the mandrake distribution only runs on a v1.0 so far...and I don't want to wait for them to release a new install disc.

Originally posted by xlpanda
well, since you're going to mod your box in order to run linux, you wont be able to play any xbox live games on live (via broadband). At least that what's suppose to be right? Dont know if there's a "switch" on some of the mod chips to turn them off before you jump on xbox live or not.
Yeah most of the better mod chips currently on the market support the addition of a switch to turn them off for use on xbox live...

Its actually interesting if you read the xbox linux page. They asked microsoft to allow them to release it as "signed code" so that it would play on the xbox without the need of a mod chip, so as not to promote priracy. Acoording to the linux people, the microsoft people have ignored the requests. I guess the few people behind the linux program are filing complaints with the antitrust people saying that microsoft isn't letting other software companies write alternate programs for their "computer" without paying a licencing fee...This goes back to the whole nintendo NES issue in the late 80's with weather or not the "console/entertainment system" was a "computer". While I personally don't see the NES as a computer (compared to other computers in same time period), I do beleive the xbox could be called a "computer" now.

Regaudless of your feelings on the subject, the page is a good read. Basicly, the linux people are not out to promote pricacy and have a legal bios to put on your mod chip, which is not derrived from a hacked microsoft bios...meaning it won't allow you to play copied games. Unlike the other, hacked bios's out there which are hidden and you have to track down, you can freely have the linux bios up for download on a web page.

Apperently they are working on some way to create an external solution where opening the system and installing a mod chip will not be required to run linux, but I am not sure thats possible, and if it is, its surely a ways off. Also, most people are going to want to swap out for a large hard drive if installing linux, so such an external solution would probably also require such an addition.
Old 05-14-03, 10:11 PM

Yes, get Return to Castle Wolfenstein. And of course Xbox Live.

Very addictive stuff.
Old 05-15-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess a big question is what games do you and your girlfriend like to play? Maybe a party type game like Fusion Frenzy would fit the bill. For myself, I have Halo, DOA3, DOA:XBV and Bloodwake, all of which I enjoyed. But as always your mileage may vary.
Old 05-15-03, 12:10 PM

My girlfriend liked Silent Hill 2 and Oddworld also Fuzion Frenzy.

Dead or Alive 3

Last edited by kegman; 05-15-03 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-15-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by andrew_randy

Regaudless of your feelings on the subject, the page is a good read. Basicly, the linux people are not out to promote pricacy and have a legal bios to put on your mod chip, which is not derrived from a hacked microsoft bios...meaning it won't allow you to play copied games. Unlike the other, hacked bios's out there which are hidden and you have to track down, you can freely have the linux bios up for download on a web page.

Uhhh.... Link please?
Old 05-15-03, 05:28 PM
Banned

Halo
Brute Force
Ghost Recon
Splinter Cell
World Series Baseball 2K3
Crazy Taxi 3
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Metal Gear Solid 2
Max Payne
Dead or Alive 3
Hitman 2

If you like college football, EA Sports is the only way to go (and the next game will probably be out July-August).
Old 05-16-03, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by RoQuEr
Uhhh.... Link please?
A few seconds at yahoo will give you a number of pages, all of which will reference the project, but try http://www.xbox-linux.com/ as a starting point.
Old 05-16-03, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about Enter The Matrix? I don't see that game getting much love on this board but it is an AWESOME game. If you have an HDTV it runs at 1080i so that's an extra bonus. I also can't reccommend Buffy enough.
Old 05-16-03, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by boston george
How about Enter The Matrix? I don't see that game getting much love on this board but it is an AWESOME game. If you have an HDTV it runs at 1080i so that's an extra bonus. I also can't reccommend Buffy enough.
I am not a buuffy fan, but thanks for the recomendation there...

What can you tell me about "enter the matrix". I have only heard what people have said about it being like an add on the the movies' plots, and I have heard technical info like the 1080i, but what can you tell me about game play and mechanics? What kind of a game is it? Is it similar to anything else on the market? Its being sold in a way to make you think its like nothing ever seen before. Can you point me in the direction of some good info on the game?
Old 05-16-03, 03:24 PM

Man, I don't care for Buffy either but the game is awesome and it is about $20 right now. If you are going to have LIVE then GR & RTCW are must own games IMO. I also have MA but I don't play it much. IMO GR is the best LIVE game out there but you have to like realistic type play. No jumping around like a bunny rabbit in GR.