Reload this Page >

The Brood uncut question?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-13-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know the running time of the uncensored version of the film?

So far i have 3 running times.

92 minutes(US) R rated
94 minutes(various international versions)..info taken from www.imdb.com & they of course are not always accurate.

89 minutes(Embassy vhs rental..could be a misprint as most running times were not always accurate on early releases)

According to www.dvdplanet.com the running time is 92 minutes. If accurate,then it's the cut version of the film which misses out on much of the films gruesome imagery & FX which were practically non-existent in the Embassy vhs i rented before.

I hope the dvd is the uncut version though. Since i would love to give the film another chance in it's intended form.
Old 05-13-03, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It comes out august 23,2003. Wait until reviews start showing up.
Old 05-13-03, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hm, my 1984 Embassy box says 92 minutes. I believe it's complete except for a shot of placenta-eating that turned up on some Canadian release. It certainly couldn't have been 2 minutes of placenta-eating though.
Old 05-13-03, 08:23 PM

Well here are two replies from someone who has seen the uncut version,though still no word on the running time. From a Japanese laserdisc.

Vampyros Lesbos
Vulnerable Victim
(5/2/03 2:24:02 am)
Reply What's missing...
In addition to the fetus licking there are quite some amount of violence cut as well. Almost every violent scene is trimmed down. No scenes are excluded they are just trimmed down. The Japanese laserdisc box set version is fu**ing nasty!!!

There are fetus licking in the R-rated version, but it's trimmed down. I have the old Embassy laserdisc myself, and it's far from uncut!
There's more fetus licking, more hammer smashing, more ripping and more fun in the uncut version. You guys who have laserdisc players should really try to get a hold of the Japanese box set. It's a box of 3 Cronenberg movies. I'm not sure of the two other movies, but I think its Videodrome and The Fly... Nothing extra on those.
Old 05-13-03, 10:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
has there ever been a Canadian release of the uncut version of "The Brood"?

IMDB only denotes:

Alternate Versions for
Brood, The (1979)

- An uncut copy, restoring the "cub licking" shot, was transferred by Film Four and premiered on UK television on 16/12/2001.

- The U.S. version was trimmed of violence to earn an "R" rating.

They don't acknowledge the existence of a 94min version. IMDb has many inacurate film details.

I would also assume that the UK DVD is also identical to the US Rated version, since it's running time is 88min (shorter running time due to PAL conversion)
Old 05-13-03, 10:50 PM

Strange,just last week when i looked it up on imdb.com. They had 94 minutes(Swedish i think) & 92 minutes listed for the US version. Now the 94 minute mention is deleted & it now says it's 91 minutes in the US.

Well i sure hope the MGM dvd is the uncut version. Guess we will have to wait & see.
Old 05-14-03, 12:56 AM

I'd definitely take that Japanese laserdisc story with a grain of salt. Video Watchdog printed a blurb about the missing footage from Embassy's release and it only amounts to a few seconds of placenta-licking and possibly a brief shot of the dead teacher. In his Faber&Faber book, Cronenberg even talks about how he snuck the footage back in after the MPAA asked for the cuts. Video Watchdog editor Tim Lucas later posted the same info to Mobius Home Video Forum. See this link:

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/scifihorro...124229212.html

I tend to take the word of Cronenberg and Lucas over some anonymous internet poster who says "the Japanese laserdisc box set version is fu**ing nasty!!!"
Old 05-14-03, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the information. I will rest easy now

In fact that poster was making me suspious as i asked for information on the running time & stuff. He didn't post that,instead went on with the 2nd half of that reply saying it was 'more fun' so to speak.

So if it is only a few seconds missing at best. Then the MGM release could possible be uncut.
Old 05-14-03, 01:13 AM

Well the person just posted the running time of the Japanese release stating it was 91 minutes & had the extra few seconds(mentioned by Tim Lucas in that link).

So i guess there really is'nt 'alot' as the poster was trying to claim at first cut out.

Still it will be interesting to see if the MGM dvd has the cut few seconds(30-40 seconds worth).
Old 10-09-03, 10:37 AM

Just yesterday read Fangoria's review of MGM's release of "The Brood" and they note that is the uncut edition of the movie -

Also, "Squirm" is the R-rated cut of the film... now for ****'s sake please MGM... release the unrated cut of "The Burning" that you have released exclusively on VHS... please?!

Last edited by Giles; 10-09-03 at 10:39 AM.
Old 10-09-03, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giles
... now for ****'s sake please MGM... release the unrated cut of "The Burning" that you have released exclusively on VHS... please?!
just getting ready to order the import. I'm sick of waiting and I'll just double-dip later if need be.
Old 10-09-03, 11:58 AM

whats different on thr R-rated cut of Squirm?
Old 10-09-03, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
whats different on thr R-rated cut of Squirm?
Spoiler:
more of the climatic worm/face ripping scene
Old 10-09-03, 03:00 PM

so, the $10 MGM that recently came out - how much is it actually missing??
Old 10-09-03, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by oleus
so, the $10 MGM that recently came out - how much is it actually missing??
NOTHING,it's uncut
Old 10-09-03, 04:51 PM

hey Julie I was waiting for you to chime in. When I read the DVD review I immediately thought of you, since you obviousily had initiated this topic question.
Old 10-09-03, 04:56 PM

so, was this a mistake on mgm's part?

i thought the ending seemed to have more of an "impact" than i remembered :-)
Old 09-16-04, 02:17 PM

Just a quick note here since "The Brood" is geting a retrospective screening this week at the Toronto International Film Festival

The Brood
Programme: Dialogues: Talking with Pictures
Director: David Cronenberg
Year: 1979
Language: English
Time: 92 minutes
Film Types: Colour/35mm

David Cronenberg’s The Brood was one of the director’s most intense and personal projects — as well as one of his most relevant. Part satire of New-Age psychology, the film follows a divorced father (Art Hindle), who must protect his young daughter from a brood of demonic children. They appear to be linked to a doctor’s (Oliver Reed) efforts to cure Frank’s ex (Samantha Eggar), who seems to be going mad. Visually striking and simply terrifying, it remains one of Cronenberg’s most memorable works. It was censored when it was originally released; we present the full version here.

- just to reiterize what's already been noted, the full running time of the uncut version is 92 min.

Now off to Tower Records where they are having a 25% percent off MGM DVD sale (fingers crossed if they have a copy).