Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Jerk (26th July 2005)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Jerk (26th July 2005)

Two issues here:

When you buy a disc like The Jerk that has no listing of a widescreen version, how do you find out the original aspect ratio. I know that I was pissed that Karate Kid came only in 1:33 until it was explained that the original film was not WS and that they put on black bars in the theater to make it look like it was. Is there an online data base that tells the specs of movies like that since amg.com and imdb.com do not?

My second issue is when they show The Jerk on TV the Kung Fu scene is not shown (obviously they don't want to show the racial slurs) and instead there is a scene with a Texes Millionare begging for replacement seats on his private Jet.

On the DVD its the opposite with the Texas Millionare gone (the dvd also has other short scenes delted from TV)

Why oh why didn't they just put everything back into the disc?
Old 05-08-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Imdb.com does list the specs of movies. Click on the "technical specs" link on the left side of the page and it will usually list the OAR of the movie.
Old 05-08-03, 08:51 PM

Thank you sir.
Old 05-08-03, 09:09 PM

Re: The Jerk

Originally posted by Bagheera
Two issues here:

I know that I was pissed that Karate Kid came only in 1:33 until it was explained that the original film was not WS and that they put on black bars in the theater to make it look like it was.

This doesn't sound right. Are you sure about this?
Old 05-08-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This film is one that deserves Special Edition treatment IMO.
Old 05-08-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Are you sure the DVD doesn't have the scene with the Texas millionaire talking about his leather plane seats? I had that DVD for a while and maybe I am just remembering that scene from when I saw it elsewhere, but I could have sworn it was on the DVD.
Old 05-08-03, 11:42 PM

Re: The Jerk

Originally posted by Bagheera
I know that I was pissed that Karate Kid came only in 1:33 until it was explained that the original film was not WS and that they put on black bars in the theater to make it look like it was.
That is called "matting" and is used with most 1.85:1 ratio films. It's a perfectly acceptable form of widescreen. Remember, it's not always about more image but the right image. Usually the stuff at the top and bottom of the frame was never intended to be there by the director.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 05-11-03 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-09-03, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by badger1997
Are you sure the DVD doesn't have the scene with the Texas millionaire talking about his leather plane seats? I had that DVD for a while and maybe I am just remembering that scene from when I saw it elsewhere, but I could have sworn it was on the DVD.
I don't know about him, but I'm positive it's missing on my DVD. I love that scene, and I almost cried when I found out it wasn't on the DVD!
Old 05-09-03, 02:15 PM

We can all cry together until we get an SE.
Old 05-09-03, 02:21 PM

"The new phone books are here!"
Old 05-09-03, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by ignition
I don't know about him, but I'm positive it's missing on my DVD. I love that scene, and I almost cried when I found out it wasn't on the DVD!
Wow, what tricks our memories can play on us. I guess I just remembered it from all the other times I saw it and didn't realize it was missing on the DVD. I guess another good reason to back up why I sold it then.
Old 05-09-03, 11:53 PM

I wish this had an SE. There are alot fo scenes left off the current DVD and VHS version that show on TBS. The squashing of the trian village, and the Leater seats on the plane both come to mind.

Old 05-11-03, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by badger1997
Wow, what tricks our memories can play on us. I guess I just remembered it from all the other times I saw it and didn't realize it was missing on the DVD. I guess another good reason to back up why I sold it then.

No kidding......I thought I remembered that scene being on the dvd too.....but I just checked, and it is not there....I guess I had just seen it on tv so many times I dysremembered it.
Old 05-11-03, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jet_Jaguar
"I'M SOMEBODY NOW!!!"
Old 05-11-03, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jet_Jaguar
I'm somebody now!
Old 05-13-03, 12:01 AM

Theatrical release VRS. edited for television

From IMDB (http://us.imdb.com/AlternateVersions?0079367) here are the differences between the theatrical release and the television version:

1. A version of "The Jerk" shown on cable's Turner Network Television contained alternate footage. Besides changing the name of Navin's dog to "Stupid" rather than the traditional "Shithead," genuine alternate footage was contained. In one previously-unseen scene, Navin is so broken-up over the loss of Marie that he "just had to spin." The carnies remove him from the ride by force, and he tries to explain to them what emotions are. The "charity" montage is also rather different. Before the cat juggling sequence Navin meets a professor-type who insults him and shows him some apparently unpleasant pictures, and a Texan millionare who cries over small cracks on the seat of his airplane. Navin pays both, of course. In this version there is no "Iron Balls McGinty" sequence.

2. On the television version there are a few extra scenes not available on the VHS release. On the TV version Navan elaborates on making a dollar and ten cents an hour, and he also tells his mother he was waiting for his skin to change color any year now. This footage is not available anywhere else.

3. The scene where Mr. Hartounian hires Navin is a bit different in the TV version. Instead of showing Navin at the urinal, the entire shot of Jackie Mason is used until Navin exits the men's room. Also, Mr. Hartounian mocks Navin's response and mentions how kids today "wanna start on the top and work their way sideways," which ends in him wondering, "who'm I talkin' to?"

4. The scene where Navin and Marie first meet was also changed. After Navin rescues Billy from the train ride, he tramples through a bunch of miniature houses because his cap is pulled down. When Marie gives Navin back his stuff and thanks him for saving Billy, an alternate take and different shots are used. After Navin says, "he's a real little dickens," Marie adds the line, "so are you," and a close-up is used when she kisses him.
Old 05-13-03, 02:13 AM

Re: Theatrical release VRS. edited for television

Originally posted by DiscGuy
a Texan millionare who cries over small cracks on the seat of his airplane.
OMG, this isn't on the DVD?!?! I'm glad I've held off on picking this up; now I'm definitely waiting for a better version. That's a great scene, one of my favorites!

"I've tried the saddle soap, I've tried everything..."

And when he starts crying with joy at the end, and says something like "Now I can fly my friends to the Super Bowl like a man, and not like some kind of bum!" Great stuff!
Old 12-07-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
This is another movie, that is coming up on its 25th anniversary. Any word of a proper widescreen version coming to DVD in 2004? (I won't go into my tirade about Universal, but I believe my post in another thread hoping for a special edition of the 1979 Dracula adequately states my greivances against them.)
Old 12-07-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Somehow I doubt that Steve Martin will want this film re-visited in these politically correct days but who knows? I certainly laughed my @$$ off when it hit the big screen.
Old 12-08-03, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by speedy1961
Somehow I doubt that Steve Martin will want this film re-visited in these politically correct days but who knows? I certainly laughed my @$$ off when it hit the big screen.
I doubt that has anything to do with it. I'd say it's more like dollar signs and whether the studio thinks the public will shell out SE prices. Isn't The Jerk a budget release now? I thought I saw it in the "cheap" bin at a discount store, but don't remember for sure.
Old 12-08-03, 10:57 AM

"Stay away from the cans! He hates the cans!"
Old 12-08-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
"P.S. Is Grandma still farting?"
Old 12-08-03, 12:08 PM

"This is the best Pizza in a cup ever"
Old 12-08-03, 03:11 PM

the jerk is a classic, and i've been clamoring since it's initial release for an SE. one day we'll get one, but when?!

oh yeah.....

'i've finally found what my special purpose is for'
Old 12-08-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First the phone book and now your ass! I bet more people see that than the phone book!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.