Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
John Doe Cancelled!!!!

It looks like we will never find out the truth about John Doe:

FOX Lets the Axe Fall on 'John Doe'
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) - "John Doe's" search for the truth is over. A source close to the FOX series has informed us the network will not renew the series for a second season. The producers of the drama were informed yesterday about the news.

The news comes as no surprise after recent reports had the network's support shifting from "Doe" to "Fastlane." FOX executives had repeatedly stated they hoped to keep one of the two dramas for next season as part of a new Thursday or Friday lineup.

After debuting to an impressive 9.8 million viewers in September of last year, "Doe's" audience dropped more than 40% by its finale last month (5.8 million viewers). Among adults 18-49 the erosion was even more noticeable (4.3 vs. 2.4 average rating for the hour) as the series routinely finished third in its time slot among the four major networks.

FOX announces its fall schedule next Thursday.

taken from www.thefutoncritic.com
Old 05-08-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, it was a pretty silly show. Still, it was entertaining enough for a Friday night, and I'd rather it be resolved than leave us hanging like that.

das
Old 05-08-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It had a great premise... Too bad they decided to string it out rather than really get it going...

I was very ready for a good who-am-I mystery series, with is-it-or-isn't-it-scifi overtones... and I liked the cast... But I lost interest very quickly when it became clear that the arc was either 1) going nowhere or 2) going too slow to reveal much before getting cancelled...

That's such a big problem with shows nowadays... The creators want to do continuous arcs, but have no way of knowing if they should be designing a 13-episode story or a 5-year story... It makes it impossible to know how to pace things...
Old 05-08-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Was it any surprise? It was on fox, and it was on friday nights. I tend to believe that X-files is the only show to survive that time slot.
Old 05-08-03, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Das.. I concur. Even this avid FOX watcher is slipping out of control of the big FOX network. I mean FOX is viewed 85% in our household.. that percentage keeps dropping.
Old 05-08-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Doe!!!

Oh well, that's what you get for playing it too cutesy for a season (now series) finale.

Does anyone think any other network will pick it up?
Old 05-08-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that the show started out strong and then just started to run out of ideas by the middle of the season.

I still have the last 2 episodes inmy Tivo unwatched. That's a bad sign of my interest in the show.

I suppose I'll get to them once the summer reruns start.
Old 05-08-03, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I stopped watching this after a few episodes. I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was brought back as a movie of the week or something, since it did seem to have a cult following.

From the beginning, I thought that the bartender was just there to keep an eye on John Doe, and that he was bad. Did we learn anything about him? What was the cliffhanger?
Old 05-08-03, 03:45 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I really like Fastlane so I'm glad it's going this way, but it makes me so mad that the networks can't decide earlier what shows are going to be cancelled and which are going to be renewed. I have so much respect for the WB letting Birds of Prey film a 2 hour finale after they had already been cancelled. Of course, if they cancel Angel, I'll lose that respect.
Old 05-08-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As soon as Firefly was cancelled, my John Doe viewings began to dwindle anyway. And that girl was just_so_damn_annoying.
Old 05-08-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
As soon as Firefly was cancelled, my John Doe viewings began to dwindle anyway. And that girl was just_so_damn_annoying.
You mean the one that died?
Old 05-08-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Sorry for you guys, but I'm happy to see the network support for Fastlane. I just hope they don't move Fastlane to Thursday - it will die there.
Old 05-08-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
oooooo goody...more Fastlane...
Old 05-08-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Rogue588 •<HR SIZE=1>oooooo goody...more Fastlane... <HR SIZE=1>

You should give it a shot. It's actually pretty entertaining ... harkens back to the 80's when there were all sorts of fun shows. Gotta mix in some fun every now and then, particularly on Fridays.

das
Old 05-08-03, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The only thing that keeps me watching Fastlane are the insanely tight tops that Tiffani Thiessen wears on that show nowadays.
Old 05-08-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! FOX
Old 05-08-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by juiio
You mean the one that died?
She died? I stopped watching mid-season. Maybe I should have kept on.
Old 05-08-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
The only thing that keeps me watching Fastlane are the insanely tight tops that Tiffani Thiessen wears on that show nowadays.
Tiffani and her tops are such an intricate part of the show, too.

I always like to see who will be the girl of the week that either Bill Bellamy or Peter Facinelli know from their past.
Old 05-09-03, 06:32 AM

Damn. That was the last Fox show I watched, they took off all the others.
Old 05-09-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hated the girl in John Doe as well, and would have been more likely to watch it if I knew that she was dead. However, after Firefly was cancelled, I had no reason to watch anything on Fox Friday nights. I even stopped watching John Doe before it, because I just didn't find it entertaining.

As for Fastlane, I watched a few episodes of that as well, but it just felt like too much fluff to me. There are some shows that I regret not watching from the beginning (Gilmore Girls) and some shows that I gave up on only to become interested again (Alias), but John Doe and Fastlane do not fall into either category.
Old 05-09-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
Originally posted by movieking

As for Fastlane, I watched a few episodes of that as well, but it just felt like too much fluff to me.

Exactly why I like it. It is mindless eye candy - the women, the cars, the action.
Old 05-09-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by CaptainMarvel

Yea Karen was annoying but not as much as Connor ("Angel"), Kim ("24") and Dawn ("Buffy"-last season.) have been.

Figures the one time I forget to tape "John Doe" and thats the episode where Karen was killed. I didn't bother to read a summary of the episode (as I still haven't watch the previous episode yet) so when I watched "John Doe" the next week (or the next time it was on), I was like "they killed Karen?...Damm!" (I think the episode was the one where "JD" was on the plane.)

Sorry to see "John Doe" canceled, liked the show alot. Doubt they will bother with a movie to wrap things up so I guess we will be wondering, "Why Digger Why?" (well we can guess why? but not get the official version) for years to come.

Well with "John Doe" being canceled, guess this means the yearly ritual of "LB's Favorite Shows Get The Axe" has started. Usually around 7-8 of my shows get canceled or decide to end their run each year.

LB...
Old 05-09-03, 10:23 AM
Banned

I thought the best episodes were the ones with the guy who played 'Percy' in THE GREEN MILE. Great villian. I lost interest after those and the cancellation comes as no surprise...
Old 05-09-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
I stopped watching this after a few episodes. I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was brought back as a movie of the week or something, since it did seem to have a cult following.
Don't count on it.

Not at all surprised, just that much more disgusted with all things FOX. Yeah it was getting a little silly towards the middle of the season, but it still had potential...not that we'll ever know now.

What is the point of watching a network that cancels it's series faster than Bonnie Hammer runs the Sci-Fi Channel into the ground?

Honestly how many threads have we had on canceled FOX shows alone? Despite being the newer network, they must hold the record for having the highest percentage of canceled series in the shortest period of time - in network television history.
Old 05-09-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I cant watch FASTLANE depsite Tiff's tits...It's like seeing an endless video..All flash and no substance..

MCG is as bad a director as Michale Bay..

They both went to the same film school of: How many times can you blow sh*t up without telling a coherent story!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.