Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Gamecube GBA Link Cable - supported games?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I bought a Gamecube recently due to the impending price drop. Got Zelda for free with the Cube, and Metroid Prime for $19 at Blockbuster. A great deal for a good system and 2 great games.

Anyway, I already had the GBA SP, so I figured I'd go ahead and get the GCN/GBA Link Cable. In Zelda, you get to use the GBA as an assistant to your main character. In Metroid Prime you get to unlock NES Metroid on the GCN and a new costume on the GBA if you have Metroid Fusion for GBA.

Anyway, I was wondering what other good games for GCN support cool linking functionality between GCN and GBA? I know Splinter Cell does a great job of it, but I already have the Xbox version of this game and am not really interested in playing it again on the Cube.

BTW, it would be cool if there was a wireless link between GCN and GBA! My GCN controller is wireless, but I'm still tethered to cables because of the GBA! Hrmph.

Also, this is the first time I've seen a GCN up close and in person, and I find it very odd that the component video cable port is labelled "digital AV". First of all, it is only a video port, not audio. So labelling it "AV" is incorrect. Second, component video is analog, not digital. So labelling it "digital" is also incorrect. Hrmph.
Old 05-08-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Hmm... let's see. There's:

Sonic Adventure2 hooks up to the first Sonic GBA game

Animal Crossing

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronical (eventually)

I think Maddeen does, but only for something lame like showing the scoreboard.
Old 05-08-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr Driller Drill Land connects to Mr Driller A.

All the Pacteria you've collected in Mr Driller A, you can arrange to be in a parade in Drill Land. Each one does different things or makes different sounds/music. You can also exchange Miles from Mr Driller A to Dori in Drill Land or vice versa, in case you've played one significantly more than the other and need some extra points.
Old 05-08-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://nintendo.com/games/master_lis...p?system_id=11

There's a list of 15 games, I believe this are more that arn't on the list though. I know EA is working in a ton of support into their games.

The Final Fantasy game uses the link as well.
Old 05-08-03, 01:16 PM

Nascar Thunder 2003
Old 05-08-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nascar Thunder 2003
Not to sound too unappreciative, but something like this does not help at all. I know how to get a list of titles that support the link. I can go to a store and look at the back of the game case and see if a title supports the link.

What would really be great is if people who have used the link functionality in a particular game first-hand wrote their own personal impressions about the link functionality, what exactly the link functionality does to that game, and how it enhanced their game. Thanks.
Old 05-08-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Every Animal Crossing owner most likely has a link cable and thats the game I have used it most with. With the link cable you can take the boat to animal island which is on your GBA and interact with your islander. This is the only way to get some of the rare games like Wario's Woods. Also on Animal Crossing you can download the NES games to the GBA and take them with you. The GBA cable is a must have for this game! It'll be something you do every day.

When I did it with Zelda, you have to get the Tingle Tuner before you can use the GBA. After that it will display a real time map and while you are sailing Tingle will point out stuff to you on the map and have conversations with you occasionally. A second player can actually control tingle but it makes the game a little easier so I didn't use it that much except for the map.

Same for Splinter Cell, the map is pretty handy, and you can use it to input codes and operate gun turrets remotely, and use sticky bombs.

So far those are the only games I have had a chance to use it for, the Chao Garden from Sonic Adventure is supposed to be really well done. They are saying more stuff will be announced at E3, including Final Fantasy. There's also an unconfirmed rumor that after E3 Nintendo is releasing a GC demo disc that contains GBA game demo's to download from the GC (pretty clever eh?). I'm pretty excited about that if its true!

edit: one thing I forgot to mention is that the GBA is the only way to play NiGHTS in Phantasy Star Online.

Last edited by Outlaw; 05-08-03 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-08-03, 04:15 PM

Animal Crossing also uses the GBA and E-reader. You can unlock items, games, songs and designs for your clothes/house with cards. I got a Metroid card so my little dude, Satan, runs around with a Samus suit. Animal Crossing is worth getting just for the downloadable games.
Old 05-08-03, 04:36 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
I've used mine with Sonic and Animal Crossing, but I haven't tried to call "Tingle" yet on Zelda...
Old 05-08-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the link has potential, but has not been used right yet. The Metroid thing is lame. First of all, original Metroid would've been 100 times better on the GBA, secondly, all it is extras for owning both games. Does not make good use of it.

Zelda came close. It came SO close. I mean, the Tingle Tuner kicks ass. The problem is it's stupid. It's not useful single player, except to find the Tingle Statues (which is just extra money.. which ends up not being needed with the 3 billion rupees under the sea), and a 2nd player gets bored of it after 5 minutes. It's an admirable try though and I give them credit for using it.

The Animal Crossing things sounds like the best use though. But.. I mean.. that game must be a wallet killer. After you've bought a GBA, the link cable, AND the card scanner, you're doomed to buying packs of cards like a heroin addiction..
Old 05-08-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
I just remembered the coolest one...

Rayman 3! I remember reading about this at Cube.ign.com

It's actually a 2 person mode. The person playing the GBA is doing this type of tetris game. But you aren't trying to make a complete line horizontally, you are trying to make a track vertically (and avoiding obsticales along the way).

The person playing on the GC is playing rayman on a little motorbike thing, and his is actually riding on the track ( in 3d), being created by the person with the GBA.

It's hard to explain, but they have some really cool movies at the link above.
Old 05-08-03, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HOLY **** THAT'S AWESOME.
Old 05-08-03, 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Joshic
[B]Not to sound too unappreciative, but something like this does not help at all. I know how to get a list of titles that support the link. I can go to a store and look at the back of the game case and see if a title supports the link.
sorry, i was at work and didnt have exactly what it did in front of me.

Basically all it does for this game is give you another meter to look at, it can display one of:

Damage Indicator
Tachometer, fuel, & speed
Pit Stop Settings
Top 5
Leader Differential
Leaderboard

Overall, I dont find it to helpful for this game. However, I dont play it very much, I bought it for my gf since she's a Nascar fan