Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Street Fighter in 2003

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Street Fighter in 2003

Capcom is planning a new Street Fighter title this year to commemorate the series' 15th anniversary, reports the latest issue of Dorimaga (which sure seems to be the fount of news this month). Few other details are available on the subject, but Capcom does apparently want to get the game to the public by the end of 2003.
We'll see if Capcom USA has anything to say at E3 (not likely, but longer shots have come in) and continue to follow the story as it develops.
Old 05-08-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

[sarcasm]Another Street Fighter from Capcom! WOW! [sarcasm]

Capcom has been resting on the laurels of SF for years. It's time they either take it up a notch or start a new series.

D
Old 05-08-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy.. another game with 10 year old recycled graphics.

Seriously though, they'll have to do something other than using graphics from a game they made ages ago and adding 2 new characters. Other companies have raised the bar yet in typical Capcom fashion they simply try to sell us a product nearly identical to the one before.
Old 05-08-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Great news!! But I doubt anything will be announced at E3, but then again...damn I wish I had a press pass.
Old 05-08-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Everytime the re-inovte the series, they rehash it to death. Alpha was a great re-invention of the series, but what came of it? Alpha 2, Alpha 3, and about 70 Capcom Vs Somebody games. Street Fighter III was.. alright.. they fixed the problems and finally had a playble game at Third Strike, but at that point nobody cared.
Old 05-08-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

..and I think it's best if we all forgot the EX series (though it too has it's fans..)
Old 05-08-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Everytime the re-inovte the series, they rehash it to death. Alpha was a great re-invention of the series, but what came of it? Alpha 2, Alpha 3, and about 70 Capcom Vs Somebody games. Street Fighter III was.. alright.. they fixed the problems and finally had a playble game at Third Strike, but at that point nobody cared.
So this is why they hold tournaments every other weekend at Golf Land for 3rd Strike? SF is always changing, and because it's always changing the game either improves or gets something lost in the translation (Capcom VS SNK part 1). If you honestly think that when an SF game is released it's final...you obviously havent been playing long enough. A lot of changes that get made are due to time. A lot of things doen in a game cant be put in, so it gets re-made. I too got tired of a new edition to SF 2 every 6 months. So I took a break from it, and started playing again when the Alpha series was made. In a time like this when everyon wasnt to play DOA Code Extreme Cronus Volleyball parts 1& 2 with extreme jiggle, and nudity code that doesnt exist. Im glad Capcom is sticking to formula and not forgetting the game that made them a household name. So while your 1 in a 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 gamers that doesnty like the idea of a new SF, keep in mind there are 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 more that do.
Old 05-08-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think they need to reinvent some new characters (none of this Orzo crap) but otherwise I hope the gameplay remains the same.
Old 05-08-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zero
So this is why they hold tournaments every other weekend at Golf Land for 3rd Strike? SF is always changing, and because it's always changing the game either improves or gets something lost in the translation (Capcom VS SNK part 1). If you honestly think that when an SF game is released it's final...you obviously havent been playing long enough. A lot of changes that get made are due to time. A lot of things doen in a game cant be put in, so it gets re-made. I too got tired of a new edition to SF 2 every 6 months. So I took a break from it, and started playing again when the Alpha series was made. In a time like this when everyon wasnt to play DOA Code Extreme Cronus Volleyball parts 1& 2 with extreme jiggle, and nudity code that doesnt exist. Im glad Capcom is sticking to formula and not forgetting the game that made them a household name. So while your 1 in a 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 gamers that doesnty like the idea of a new SF, keep in mind there are 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 more that do.
Well I can tell you that I HAVE been playing long enough. I remember when the very first SFII machine was released. I was one of the poor kids that ended up paying $60 3 times to have the newest version on SNES. So I think I have every right at this point to start to get tired of it. I still play Alpha 3 from time to time, I think it's the best of them all, possibly the best fighter of them all. But does that mean I have to be excited about a new game? Hell no, not with what they've done lately. All of the Marvel games ended up being Killer Instinct with Capcom and comic book characters. CvS was Alpha 3 with SNK characters. None of the games since Alpha 3 have offered anything new and exciting other than new characters. While I don't play/like Guilty Gear.. I've seen it, and I laugh thinking how bad another SF rehash is going to look next to that. I'd love to be excited about a new SF game, I really, really would.. but until I see them doing something worthwhile, I'm sticking what I've known Capcom is (in)capable of.

Now you may ask, what would make me excited about a new SF? Let's start with building from the ground up, because that's the only way it'll work. GG has proven that today's hardware is capable of more than SNES styled 2D animation and I want to see that. Kill any character that is even close to some variation of Ken/Ryu's moveset. Keeping Ken/Ryu is fine, they are the series staples. But how many characters are in the current version that have the same/near-same movest? 12? It's to the point of retardation. Moving on.. obviously we want to keep the core play mechanics that elevate the series over all the clones, but let's work in some of that old Capcom magic. They used to be capable of creating a new system to the game that added depth to it without taking away from the core. Let's go back to one character, 3 rounds. Eliminate the ridiculous combo systems and perhaps put something in that requires skill, like a good parry/counter system. I loved the Alpha counter system, but it was worthless because of the amount of power meter it required. I think a good idea would be to have something like that, that uses maybe 1/4 power or something. That way you can justify using them without thinking, well, I could've executed a super instead. Er.. well.. I'll think of more ideas and come back later. .work calling..
Old 05-08-03, 02:30 PM

Well I can tell you that I HAVE been playing long enough. I remember when the very first SFII machine was released. I was one of the poor kids that ended up paying $60 3 times to have the newest version on SNES. So I think I have every right at this point to start to get tired of it.
Obviously not long enough... The original release of SFII was $80 for SNES, not $60.
Old 05-08-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
Obviously not long enough... The original release of SFII was $80 for SNES, not $60.
You're right..

Man that sucked.. all the games I wanted back then werre $80, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy 3, Chrono Trigger.. not a pretty thing when all you have is a paper route and a heroin addiction.
Old 05-08-03, 03:08 PM

You're right..

Man that sucked.. all the games I wanted back then werre $80, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy 3, Chrono Trigger.. not a pretty thing when all you have is a paper route and a heroin addiction.
When am I wrong?

What I find funny is how people will complain about a having to buy a $150-$200 console for games… Please! $80 back then was almost $100 today, meaning after the pending price drop, the cost of a SF2 equals the cost of a Gamecube. Wowsers…
Old 05-08-03, 03:34 PM

Here's hoping for a hi res version this time around, SF3 would have been stunning in hi res, as it is simply looks good.
Old 05-08-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I can tell you that I HAVE been playing long enough. I remember when the very first SFII machine was released. I was one of the poor kids that ended up paying $60 3 times to have the newest version on SNES. So I think I have every right at this point to start to get tired of it. I still play Alpha 3 from time to time, I think it's the best of them all, possibly the best fighter of them all. But does that mean I have to be excited about a new game? Hell no, not with what they've done lately. All of the Marvel games ended up being Killer Instinct with Capcom and comic book characters. CvS was Alpha 3 with SNK characters. None of the games since Alpha 3 have offered anything new and exciting other than new characters. While I don't play/like Guilty Gear.. I've seen it, and I laugh thinking how bad another SF rehash is going to look next to that. I'd love to be excited about a new SF game, I really, really would.. but until I see them doing something worthwhile, I'm sticking what I've known Capcom is (in)capable of.

Now you may ask, what would make me excited about a new SF? Let's start with building from the ground up, because that's the only way it'll work. GG has proven that today's hardware is capable of more than SNES styled 2D animation and I want to see that. Kill any character that is even close to some variation of Ken/Ryu's moveset. Keeping Ken/Ryu is fine, they are the series staples. But how many characters are in the current version that have the same/near-same movest? 12? It's to the point of retardation. Moving on.. obviously we want to keep the core play mechanics that elevate the series over all the clones, but let's work in some of that old Capcom magic. They used to be capable of creating a new system to the game that added depth to it without taking away from the core. Let's go back to one character, 3 rounds. Eliminate the ridiculous combo systems and perhaps put something in that requires skill, like a good parry/counter system. I loved the Alpha counter system, but it was worthless because of the amount of power meter it required. I think a good idea would be to have something like that, that uses maybe 1/4 power or something. That way you can justify using them without thinking, well, I could've executed a super instead. Er.. well.. I'll think of more ideas and come back later. .work calling..

Ok what game are you playing? Granted a lot of characyers in SF have a similar move list but not all of them are the same. It sounds to me like you want everying SF 2 was and yet something new all together..now let me think....what game does that already?...Oh I know!

I think you've got your games mixed up. For startes the Marvel VS games are combo heavy, and are menat to be so seeing as how you have Street Fighters against comic book heroes. Its not supposed to be about tradition and old school street fighting. I just cant understand how most people let that series over shadow a truly great game like SF 3. Sure it doesnt take the same skill to play Mravel VS Capcom 2 that it does to play Alpha 3, but you take away the button mashy-ness(i know thats not a word) and put those same players who think they have skill against someone in Alpha 3 or 3rd Strike and that = 0wnage. Believe me I've seen it. Im sorry pixy but everything cant change, and at the same time be the same. I felt Capcom VS SNK 2 was great I dont know what everyone is whining about. And I honestly dont see the connection between it and Killer Instinct. Killer Instinct was about quarter circles and random button slapping. Capcom VS SNK 2 requires that you KNOW how to play an SF game or a KOF game. I too bought every editino of SF that was ever released on the SNES. I never got tired of it because it always presented something different, and something new to learn.

Alpha 3 compared to Third Strike, now theres a very unfair comparison. Alpha 3 is a great game, but its not as fluid as Third Strike. I play both about every day but I have to say that Third Strike is better because it takes you away from the other fighters you already know. The only orignal cast to return are

Ryu
Ken
Chun-Li
Akuma

thats it. The rest of the roster are some of the most original (and out landish) characters I've ever seen. I mean who needs Zangief when you got Alex and Hugo? Who needs Guile or Charlie when you got Remy? I was glad to see them go because those stories have been done to death. Im sad though that Capcom didnt bring back Guy for Third Strike. If your tired of Capcom making SF games the just keep your fingers crossed for SNK VS Capcom. This is a VS game being developed by SNK, and not Capcom. This ought to be that something different you've been waiting for.

Oh and Im not sure your aware of it but the team behind Guilty Gear are former Capcom employees. I'd suggest picking up that game, believe me its well worth a second look/play.

Last edited by zero; 05-08-03 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-08-03, 04:42 PM

Wish List:

1) Every Single Character EVER
Might as well........and actually redefine these characters to make sure people will want to use them. Jeez, a lot of these characters are just plan silly to use. Make this THE ultimate SF2 game. I'd like those SNK characters too, but I actually want some real balance between the SNK and Capcom side this time.

2) Capcom vs SNK groove system. I like it because you can play however style you want (SF3, Capcom, SF2, Alpha, etc)

3) High res background, hi-res charcater sprites, SF3/GGX animation - it's about TIME

4) Let us have all the original mixes of SF2 songs. Yeah, you can include all the ones from the other games too, but I'm tired of hearing remixes. So to make it simple, Song based on character, stage, and mix chosen.

5) Let's revisit some of these storylines. I dunno if it's just me, but back then in the SF2 days, everyone knew the story for each of the characters. The characters actually seemed cool. I'd like to have a true storyline for this game. (OK, I admit, SF2 story wasn't phenomenal, but it was enough)
Old 05-08-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Zero, let's start this one off by saying that I LOOOOOOOOOVE Street Fighter III (again, it didn't work for me until third strike). It IS what I wanted from a sequel to SF2.. but as I stated before nobody I know gives a **** about that game. I can't really play by myself that often.. it sucks. I would sell a testicle for Capcom to release Thrid Strike on Xbox Live. Seriously. I love the new characters, it's exactly what they needed!! Remy rocks, Necros rocks, Sean is a nice Dan wannabe. I love the game, I do. But everybody wants to play the VS games.

The Killer Instinct comment was towads the Marvel games. The comment I made about CvS is Alpha 3 with SNK characters, and I stand by it. Sure, both sets of games are good, and even the Marvel games still hold something for real SF players, but to me, they are nothing special but the exsisting game with more crappy characters I don't like.

I can't remember the CvS 2 roster off the top of my head but I'll try this.. Ken, Ryu, Suckura, Akuma, Super Akuma, Dan, Borrigan, Evil Ryu, Sagat, Athena, Haomaru, Iori, Evil Iori, Joe, Kyo, Ryo, and Yuri.. ****.. I'm sorry, you are right, I was wrong to say 12.. there are 17!! 17 characters who are essentially the same.. the SNK side gets a little credit for having SOME other moves, but the Capcom ones are IDENTICAL. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I'd like to give GG a chance, but I don't own a PS2 and never will.. but the bigger factor is that I've lost a lot of interest in the genre. I almost got CvS2 for Xbox, but I couldn't do it.. I'd much rather have online Alpha 3 or Third Strike.

Maybe stop by Texas sometime and give me a good match and Thrid Strike!
Old 05-08-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's more info from The Playstation 2 Box, err.. Magic Box..

Dorimaga reported that Capcom is planning to develop a sequel to Street Fighter 2, to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Street Fighter series. Capcom mentioned about the sequel to Street Fighter 2 instead of Street Fighter 3, because they would like to use the more realistic graphics as in SF2, instead of the more cartoony graphics in SF3. Also the story is going to take place between SF2 and SF3.
Old 05-08-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Another SF?? Maybe they should be a 3-d cel-shaded fighter. To be a street fighter it's gotta keep that hand drawn look. That would be cool.
Old 05-08-03, 11:24 PM
mvc

Whoo, I can't wait!
I love 3s and I'm hoping the new SF finds some way to break new ground in the series.
Old 05-08-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
A street fighter thread and I wasn't aware.. Let me throw my quarter on the controller and wait for my turn. first off. How the hell could they do a mid game between 2 and 3? I was under the impression that Alpha took place before street figther, alpha 2 before SF2 and Alpha 3 before III?

Anyhow, the series is one that is always growing and changing, If you know how to play the alpha series, you will be in unknown terrority in SF III, then you will be even more lost in III second impact. the vs series is something that is really off to the side and is a bunch of button mashing.

Now why does Capcom get more happy faces when it comes to the button scheme of the characters special moves? Well because frankly, SNK offered new ways to pull them off, they were all to confussing to get pulled off. Up down side side left right for something like a fire ball. Capcom was smarter and used the simple quarter circle based moves. this is what put Capcom over SNK.

I love the street fighter series. I played with just about everyone, and let me tell you one thing, a lot of characters might be based on the same root moves but all play differently. If you play as Sakura, you wont necessarily be good at akuma. if your good with ken, you might not even be good with ryu. The root moves might be the same, but the combo systems vary. I personally love using Sakura and Ken. the fun factor of kicking someone's arse with sakura and doing the taunt is fun enough.

Now look at the ALPHA series, it had a lot of characters. I was surprised how many didn't make it to III, which they could have been really nicely done. Now the great thing about the street fighter series is that it provides so many different styles of animation and art. Looking at each version you will see how different in style they are. the alpha series is really animated and you can say it has a real anime style to it. III had a very sketchy gritty look to it which helped and by this time, the animation helped in bringing it out. Not to mention the size of the characters in the game compared to the older series.

The VS is a sort of mixed bag. You get everything in there. You get pretty much all the styles and all the moves from the many different street fighter series. Look at RYU's uppercut super and it's evolution throughout the years. All the clone fighters have different styles in some sense that you have to learn how to work in with each other.

Now one game I really want to see is Capcom Allstars. You know, the street fighter series has been around for quite some time. I remember seeing fights break out when I used to play it at the arcades because someone throw to much or played cheesy. I've seen people get the crap kicked out of them for being good. Man, those days.. good times good times. anyhow, in all this time I can't say that I have tired from the series, it has something for everyone. the animation, or have it in the 3-d versions (I don't touch them cept maybe rival schools with sakura. ), but I'll be glad to take some challange when you come up to the arcade stick against me.

Hell I have had e-mail names based off street fighter characters.. most of all, I can say this, Bring on another street fighter game. It's part of what you think of when you hear Capcom.
Old 05-08-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Between F-Zero and this, I'm actually interested in going to an arcade again!

I thought Third Strike was the best SF game yet and hope Capcom's fighter folk have something special up their sleeves. It's been awhile since they've done anything new.
Old 05-09-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jack, all Alpha games happen before Street Fighter 2. And yes, Charlie dies 3 times.
Old 05-09-03, 01:39 PM
Retired

I've pretty much lost all interest in this series. I loved the various 2 incarnations on the SNES and Street Fighter Alpha 3 was great, but they've just ran this in the ground IMO. It's really only for die hards anymore.

Plus, after Soul Calibur, I have a hard time enjoying 2D fighers anymore.
Old 05-09-03, 01:45 PM

Does Charlie really die at the end of each Alpha game? I never got good enough with him to finish the games with him, but I figured since he was in all three Alpha's, he probably didn't die. Crazy.
Old 05-09-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Poink
Does Charlie really die at the end of each Alpha game? I never got good enough with him to finish the games with him, but I figured since he was in all three Alpha's, he probably didn't die. Crazy.
It's great!! Each of his endings is him being offed by Bison.. the dude's like the Energizer Bunny.. it's no wonder Guile was so pissed off!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.