Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Matrix: Deep Philosophy or a Good Action Movie?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I quite enjoy the Matrix, and am very much looking forward to the sequels. They're stylish, entertaining, and interesting stories. But since the first one came out, I know some fans have commented on the deep philosophical nature and the underlying metaphors in this movie. Now, granted, it does have some themes of reality versus not reality, but I never thought this movie to be "deep" or "intellectual". It's not a dumb movie, but it only sets up a phisophical question, it never really explores or questions those ideas. Instead it uses that as a basis for a cool action/superhero type story. But in the end, it is just an action movie more along the lines of Star Wars than 2001. What do you guys think?
Old 05-07-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a little of both.
Old 05-07-03, 11:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The Matrix is stoner philosophy.

"Like, what if we were all in a computer program, and this was just a simulation of life, man?"

"Whoa! That would be totally righteous!"
Old 05-08-03, 04:06 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Matrix: Deep Philosophy or a Good Action Movie?

Originally posted by jaeufraser
But in the end, it is just an action movie more along the lines of Star Wars than 2001. What do you guys think?
Yes, it's closer to SW than 2001. But it's still both action and philosophy. That's part of the reason it's so good.
Old 05-08-03, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

"Weather you just rented the Matrix or you have Glaucoma"

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 05-08-03 at 05:10 AM.
Old 05-08-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
The Matrix is stoner philosophy.
Gonna have to agree with Groucho on this one.
Old 05-08-03, 09:12 AM

That's the think about Philosophy...each person will derive different results by looking more deeply at the subject.

Did you ever notice that "Neo" is an anagram of "One". The name Trinity. Biblical.

References to fantasy like Alice in Wonderland. This movie is alot deeper than most people think. However the messages are a Trojan horse mixed in with action.
Old 05-08-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The few reviews I've seen seem to suggest great visuals but lacking story...
Old 05-08-03, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by hmurchison
That's the think about Philosophy...each person will derive different results by looking more deeply at the subject.

Did you ever notice that "Neo" is an anagram of "One". The name Trinity. Biblical.

References to fantasy like Alice in Wonderland. This movie is alot deeper than most people think. However the messages are a Trojan horse mixed in with action.
I guess my point is that I don't think there is a message. Sure, some light symbolism here and there, but nothing any more complicated than the crossroads at the end of Castaway. I think my point is...why this movie ain't so deep...is that it really has no thoughts on the subject it uses as the launching point for its story. Which is fine, as this is an action adventure, and I don't fault the filmmakers in any way for this. I don't really want this movie to explore thouse thoguhts, than it wouldn't be the rollicking action extravaganza that it is.

I think Roger Ebert's review nails the view I have upon the movie, though I don't share his disapointment in the movie ending in the glorified action sequences as...well...they f**king rock. Nonetheless check that out to...he writes better than I.

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...03/033101.html
Old 05-09-03, 01:32 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.knowthematrix.com/faq.htm

There's a whole philosophy site here:
http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/

http://www.onwardoverland.com/matrix/philosophy.html

A whole book on it:
http://www.salon.com/books/review/2002/12/04/matrix/

A college class about it!
http://students.washington.edu/mitsuo/matrix/
Old 05-09-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to play the inevitable annoying anti-Matrix guy and say that if the Matrix is a philiophical movie, then "Tomcats" is an honest exploration of the depths of love.

...ok maybe that's overstating a little.

But seriously, IMO the Matrix is a seriously overrated movie from almost all perspectives, but particularly overrated one from an "intellectual" perspective. PKD and Gibson have done much better and subtle jobs dissecting the technological, moral and philisophical implications of a dreamworld/cyberspace/whatever. The Matrix just took their ideas and watered it down with a little mumbo-jumbo Yoda-speak. Then they threw in Johnny Utah, some stock guy movie characters (the whimpy nerd, the bald/ugly backstabber, the kickass/soft inside love interest, the spiritual black guy) hired a couple of guys from HK to do wire-fu correography and called it a day.

I don't hate the movie, but it's certainly no Blade Runner.
Old 05-09-03, 01:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
my roommate in college was a philosophy major, and after watching the matrix with him once, i vowed never to do it again. it was the most annoying time of my life.

these guys feel they have to find meaning in everything.
Old 05-09-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I agree that the Matrix is not in the same league as Bladerunner, I do think The Matrix is somewhat deeper and more symbolic than some critics allow. The Christ parallels are particularly strong: the prophecy, the savior, the betrayal, and the resurrection/transformation. Does it raise more questions than it answers? Of course. But that’s the nature of sci-fi—its goal is to trigger thought rather than provide answers. There may be exceptions, but I can’t think of a single serious sci-fi movie or book that ties up all the questions raised in a neat little bow.

WRT PKD and Gibson…it’s hardly fair to compare literature to a film—the written word allows a range of techniques and breadth that are not available to a filmmaker who must stuff his ideas into a 2+ hour timeslot. Moreover, many of the ideas cited by Hiro11 are not original to either author; some derive from Plato’s Allegory of the Cave. The beauty of The Matrix is that the wonderfully choreographed action and wire-fu sequences create a glue that bind elements from Plato’s writings on the illusory nature of the world with Gibson’s cyberpunk themes and style.
Old 05-10-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What if ....C-A-T......really spelled DOG??
Old 05-10-03, 07:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by hmurchison
References to fantasy like Alice in Wonderland. This movie is alot deeper than most people think.
Resident Evil has "Alice in Wonderland" references. References in and of themselves do not make a movie "deep."
Old 05-11-03, 02:27 AM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

So what DOES make a movie "deep"?
Old 05-11-03, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Resident Evil has "Alice in Wonderland" references. References in and of themselves do not make a movie "deep."
I know because RE sucked so bad in acting and script there was no hope left.
Old 05-12-03, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Matrix was excellent, but as philosophy, it was sorely lacking. My take on the original (after seeing it several times)...the effects and premise of the movie are so cool that you don't notice the plot holes and faulty logic the first couple of times....
Old 05-12-03, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone who thinks it is deep philosophy needs to read more.
Old 05-12-03, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Or get off the pot..
Old 05-12-03, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it was just an action movie and a damn good one at that.

-agent smith-
Old 05-12-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dude, where's my car?!
Old 05-13-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by pixyboi
Dude, where's my car?!

Old 05-13-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In what way is the Matrix stoner philosophy?
Old 05-13-03, 02:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it is just an action movie more along the lines of Star Wars than 2001.
On an unrelated note, there's far more depth to the Star Wars trilogy than you're giving it credit for. It's certainly not the deepest story in the world, but there is quite a bit of depth there.

As for Matrix's depth, I think the original had a story with a bit of depth and a style to it. I enjoyed the first Matrix fairly well. But I've always thought it was style over substance filmmaking.