Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

West Wing 05-07-03 (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
West Wing 05-07-03

Awesome episode. It seemed to have a different director.

Anyways, the question is: Does anyone know the name of the song that was playing throughout the club scene. I've heard this song in a movie I saw recently, but I can't remember which one.
Old 05-07-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

West Wing 5/7

Spoiler:
Poor Molly!!! I thought she was pretty descent looking. Oh well, thought the episode was good and the last one looks like it will be interesting.

Last edited by Jeeden; 05-07-03 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You started this before mine, so here is my post:

Great ending, great episode!

Spoiler:
I sort of wonder of Jean-Paul wasn't in on the kidnapping, what with him drugging Zoe's drink with E.

Can't wait to see what happens in next weeks finale. Should be a good one. I'm dissapointed that Sorkin is leaving the show I dont know if anyone else could write dialogue like he does.

Brian
Old 05-07-03, 09:19 PM

So, does anyone know the name of the song?
Old 05-07-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I noticed the different style right of the bat, you don't see the WW going handheld very often, so I was looking to see who directed it, but Alex Graves has directed episodes before.

Nevertheless, that uneasiness with the first few minutes continued throughout. Not bad uneasiness, but intended uneasiness. And it lead right to the end with that bass-y music playing underneath all the storylines as they collided into one another, cutting back and forth at a pace unusual for the WW.

But in the end, extremely effective, and another great episode. Just makes me sadder that AS will be done with the show after next week.
Old 05-07-03, 09:31 PM

ummm....

The name of the song, anyone?
Old 05-07-03, 09:37 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Don't know the name of the song, but I hope Jean-Paul gets his ass kicked for drugging Zoe, and I hope Charlie's the one who does it.
Old 05-07-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bandoman
Don't know the name of the song, but I hope Jean-Paul gets his ass kicked for drugging Zoe, and I hope Charlie's the one who does it.
my thoughts exactly!! even if french boy is not in on the kidnapping, i am eagerly awaiting the inevitable beat down that charlie will lay on him.

perhaps the best moment of the night,...'are you in love with josh?' i konw that nothing will probably come of it but it was good to hear. however, with sorkin leaving, they may go ahead and pursue that angle. all in all a great hour of tv and i can't wait for next week.
Old 05-07-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it from Bjork?
Old 05-07-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't beleive this wasn't a season finale. Great story. I know its the lead in to the season finale, but you could have ended it there and had me waiting all summer. Can't wait to see what they have in store for next week.
Old 05-07-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I had hoped, whenever NBC (or UPN for that matter) has a particularly asinine preview for a quality show, the show is typically so much more than their cheesy promotion department can handle ...

Absolutely fantastic episode. I don't know who deserves the credit, but someone on Sorkin's "team" is a master of using music. We saw it over and over with SportsNight, and it works to perfection again tonight. There were so many great moments between different sets of characters (Donna and Amy, Charlie and Zoey, Toby and Andrea, Bartlett and Will ...), I wouldn't know where to begin. While some would say that The West Wing hasn't been as good this year, IMO it still has enough flashes of brilliance to maintain itself as one of the top 2 or 3 shows we have.

I don't know how, but there's a small part of me holding out hope that the show can thrive without Sorkin and Schlamme. The characters that have been created are so solid, I don't want to see them lose their strength.

das
Old 05-07-03, 11:04 PM

The song is called Angel by Massive Attack .
Old 05-07-03, 11:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Great shots of Georgetown University (both exterior and interior: Healy Hall)
Old 05-08-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Really good stuff -- Fortunately, I had forgotten about the kidnapping stuff from the previews a few weeks ago, so it caught me by surprise... I loved the way the plotlines were rotating at the end of the ep, and the music building... I wonder if Donna is about to make a big decision or realization, too...
Old 05-08-03, 05:15 AM

Thanks, scrubneck. I'd just found that myself. I realized the song was used on the movie, Snatch. I looked it up on the end credits.

Thanks again.
Old 05-08-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
That was brilliant. I had a attitude going in knowing that Zoe was going to be abducted, but those last 15 minutes was some of the best televison I have seen in a long time. They completely took any cheese factor out of that plot twist. Excellent use of music.

West Wing has been uneven this year but these last 2 episodes have been 2 of the strongest in the history of the series.

Hopefully we'll see Frenchie get what's coming to him.
Old 05-08-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by adamblast
Really good stuff -- Fortunately, I had forgotten about the kidnapping stuff from the previews a few weeks ago, so it caught me by surprise... I loved the way the plotlines were rotating at the end of the ep, and the music building... I wonder if Donna is about to make a big decision or realization, too...

Understand what you mean about Donna. It looks like she is really on the spot. If she says yes, then she needs to act on it. If she says no, then she is leaving whatshername that asked her a shot at Josh (seemed like she was asking for that reason to me, that plus she is so concerned about offending him)

I wonder what the "shocker" is for next week.

About the only thing worse you could do other than attacking the president would be attacking his daughter. A bold statement yes, but she is "innocent" since she doesn't make policy etc and the president wouldn't hold back much restraint in getting her back.
Old 05-08-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
This episode could have been so cheesy but they just pulled it off brilliantly. The last couple minutes as you follow Leo were just great, all the emotions just moved across his face, great acting.

Did it seem to anyone else that they were setting up one of the secret service woman to be in on it? The fact that we didn't see her badge like the other two and just odd camera positioning. I could be seeing things. Frenching drugging Zoe with E was an interesting twist. Yeah, she's gonna wanna spend three months with you after you dope her up. Charlie will have fun laying the smack down on him as will the president once he finds out. This pres has already taking out one diplomat one more won't make much difference.

I also like the fact that the Kumar situation is still hanging around and causing all kinds of problems.
Old 05-08-03, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
\

Absolutely fantastic episode. I don't know who deserves the credit, but someone on Sorkin's "team" is a master of using music. We saw it over and over with SportsNight, and it works to perfection again tonight. \
that would be w.g. 'snuffy' walden. i know that he at least writes all of the original music, but he may not be in charge of picking the other stuff. however, my guess is that he probably does. he has a great album out of his original stuff plus his themes to west wing, thirtysomething, once and again, etc. the title is music by...
Old 05-08-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jeeden
Understand what you mean about Donna. It looks like she is really on the spot. If she says yes, then she needs to act on it. If she says no, then she is leaving whatshername that asked her a shot at Josh (seemed like she was asking for that reason to me, that plus she is so concerned about offending him)
the interesting thing to see will be if anything comes of it now or later. AS has said for a long time that he was never going to act on the whole josh/donna thing, but now that he is leaving, who knows what will happen? i would like to see if happen, but very subtly.
Old 05-08-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great hour of television. Im just now more aware that next season will stink without Sorkin on board. Your going to have this huge cliffhanger (my guess is an MS attack, I really have no clue since I dont snoop around for info, just my thoughts.

Charlie opening a can of whoop as on mammy pamby French boy so needs to happen next week, and I really want to see Wesley (SS detail) try and stop that one.

"Donna are you in love with Josh?" Uncomfortable silence follows. Now thats TV.
Old 05-08-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth kevin75 •<HR SIZE=1>that would be w.g. 'snuffy' walden. i know that he at least writes all of the original music, but he may not be in charge of picking the other stuff. however, my guess is that he probably does. he has a great album out of his original stuff plus his themes to west wing, thirtysomething, once and again, etc. the title is music by... <HR SIZE=1>

Apologies ... I wasn't refering to the score, but the use of contemporary songs as the backdrop of scenes. I would be more inclined to attribute song selection to Sorkin himself or the Music Supervisor, but it certainly could be Walden. In any case, I have no idea, but whoever it is (or if it's many people), they always seem to get it right.

das
Old 05-08-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great to see Anna Devere Smith back on the show -- I was afraid she was gone for good...

Has Taye Diggs been a recurrent character? I don't remember seeing him as one of the SS agents before...

[ot]Speaking of recurrent characters -- is Linda Hunt on anything these days? I sure miss her from The Practice -- she'd be great with smart Sorkin dialog... If there is any show on the air next year with smart Sorkin dialog...[/ot]

Last edited by adamblast; 05-08-03 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-08-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just out of curiosity, I went ahead in my TiVo to see what the description was for next week's episode. To paraphrase:

Spoiler:
Pres. Bartlett shuts down Washington, D.C. and deploys troops to the Persian Gulf.

Don't know how this will all tie in with the previews for next week's episode, but it looks like the season finale could be one helluva show.

Still one of the best shows on TV, IMO.
Old 05-08-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As for next week's finale:

Since the previews made it sound like
Spoiler:
a major third event might top even the VP resignation and the kidnapping (unless that was all hype)
I'm guessing that
Spoiler:
Bartlett and the country finally have their own 9/11 equivilent--some terrorist attack of major scope that will change the political landscape and/or start a war...

So many of the big national themes of 2002 and 2003 haven't gotten addressed on the show since they're still basically in a pre-9/11 situation...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.