Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Digital Eyes situation

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Digital Eyes situation

Old 05-07-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Digital Eyes situation

I've always heard great things about Digital Eyes on these forums, so I decided to choose them as a main DVD retailer.

I recently sold a bundle of used DVDs to them and received $88.92 in store credit.

On March 31, I ordered a used edition of Three Kings and a new copy of the Six Feet Under box set. The total came to $88.79. My Three Kings was shipped on April 4, and I received it shortly after.

I waited, and waited, for my Six Feet Under to arrive. It never did. My account status page continued to show it under the "Processing" screen. More than a couple of weeks ago I called to inquire about the order, and was told it would be shipping within "a few days." When nothing showed up, I called last week and was told it should be shipping out any day now, and that she'd pass along a note to her supervisor to make sure it shipped. Still nothing arrived.

So I called again today. The guy told me it still hadn't shipped, and in fact it was because it was out of stock and they were waiting for more to arrive. I informed him that I've been told numerous times that it would be shipping any day, and that it shows up on their website as in stock, shipping within 24 hours. He went to check, and then said yes, it was in stock, and he didn't know why it hasn't shipped. He said he'll send along a note to his supervisor to check. So that's where I stand now.

Usually I don't air complaints. However, this has been going on since March 31st, and I've been misled at least two times by the company, so I feel this warrants being told. I hope this gets taken care of, but my opinion of Digital Eyes has been greatly diminished by this experience. I have over 25 DVDs I was going to sell to them, but now I'm not sure if I should use the company again.

In case Mark reads this, my name is Brian Jacks out of Fairfax, VA.

Last edited by BJacks; 05-07-03 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-07-03, 05:05 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
They are in the process of moving the company from one state to another. I have been waiting for my paypal account to be credited for $270 for 6 weeks now. 2 weeks since I received an email saying the items were ok and I would be paid. I have called twice now, and I have been assured that I will be paid. In the past they have been good, but this time they have been a little shakey. If not for past experience, and the fine reports from other DVDTalkers, I would be in a panic. It was a lot of dvds and a lot of money to be ripped off for. The only thing that frustrates me is they have been selling my used dvd's on the site for 2 weeks now, but can't seem to get me my money. Oh, and for anyone who is interested, I was told on the phone that they will no longer give out cash/paypal for dvds they buy. It is strickly for store credit only from now on.
Old 05-07-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brian Jacks, the 1972 Olympic Judo bronze medalist?
Old 05-07-03, 05:16 PM

Originally posted by Heat
Brian Jacks, the 1972 Olympic Judo bronze medalist?
I should be so lucky.

Last edited by BJacks; 05-07-03 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-08-03, 03:10 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Received a check in the mail today from Digital Eyes, so no complaints from me. I did request Paypal however, but money is money. The only trouble is that when I get money in my Paypal account, I just spend it. When I get cash or a check I end up saving it like a responsible adult. So I guess Digital Eyes hurt themselves, since I was going to blow a lot of it at their site since they accept Paypal payment. That aside, they came through with a little delay because of the move.
Old 05-08-03, 04:04 PM

To update my situation, today I received an email alerting me that my order has finally shipped. Hopefully everything's back to normal.
Old 05-13-03, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I discovered that Digital Eyes has now moved to Itasca, IL, home of Deep Discount DVD?

Any connection between these two?
Old 05-13-03, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I hope these delays and more mediocre customer service are temporary, because I really liked dealing with this company during the last few years.

I recently sent in a QuoteMachine shipment, right after it came back online a few weeks ago. In my confirmation email, it stated that I would get the usual 10% premium for a store credit. There was no longer an option to get cash or check, but that didn't concern me.

When I got confirmation that the shipment had been received, the 10% premium was removed, and I was only credited the amount for the DVDs. OK, it's a small issue, but it's not cool to confirm a quote at one price and then change it later.

After getting the confirmation of credit added to the account, I called customer service, but didn't get any help, only being given the "I'm sorry, that's the way it is now, we're not giving the additional credit".

So, I emailed Mark, the owner, a few days ago, as he has posted here often, and offered to handle some customer service issues directly. I just wanted to make him aware of the discrepancy between the stated quote and the credit received.
No answer yet......
Old 05-13-03, 05:53 PM

The loss of 10% extra on used discs sold for store credit is disappointing news. I also noticed prices on some of their used inventory creeping upwards, exceeding their standard 1/2 msrp. An example of what can happen when small business is sucked up by corporate entities.
Old 05-14-03, 08:29 AM

I've gotta tell you, i'm also disappointed in the changes at Digital Eyes. Up until the first of the year, i was using DVD Empire almost exclusively....i had heard good things about Digital Eyes. They were located in Tenn and i'm in South Carolina, so i figured shipping time would be 1 day.....2 days at the most. And i was right..everything was great. They were awesome...then they moved and it has been downhill since then. I had an order i had placed sit for a week and a half before they finally shipped it. Also, the frequent buyer points haven't been updated in a month or more. I am showing a wrong account balance in my account. Prices seem to be going up. The personal touch is gone, regardless of what Mark had promised us....talking to some of those guys they have now is like knocking your head against a wall....and now that they are in IL, shipping times are 3-4 days with Priority Mail....so that's not any better than other stores.

Anyway, needless to say, i'm dissapointed. The advantages they had over the other companies are gone. And so am i.....back to DVD Empire for me. I probably never should have left them in hindsight.
Old 05-14-03, 09:38 PM

I'm having problems with Digital Eyes too. About a month ago, just before they started the switchover, I cancelled several items on an order because they were backordered. I then bought them elsewhere.

A couple of weeks later, I received and was charged for one of the cancelled items. I sent an email to Mark, and never received a reply. So I called, and they said they would send a return label for the item they shipped and would make sure the other items were cancelled. I still haven't received a return label, but the items I cancelled are still arriving and I'm being charged for them.

I hate to say this, because they have always been great, but they do seem to be going downhill fast. If I ever get this mess straightened out, I'm probably going to just place one more order to cash in my bonus points and then shop elsewhere.
Old 05-14-03, 10:27 PM

Like brbowen, I'm in SC and sorely miss the 2 day media mail shipping. I hope Infinity Resources doesn't pull the frequent buyer program. Although I have no major complaints and I'll still purchase from them, I fear DigitalEyes as we knew it no longer exists and will never be again.
Old 05-15-03, 02:13 PM

I just called DE and asked the woman who answered the phone if they were now part of DDDvd, she said no. Looks like Mark sold DE to some unknown party.... Jen and Rob no longer work there...
I am upset DE is/was a big part of my DVD lifestyle. More than 85% of my collection was bought at DE. I had The In Laws preordered and they sent it early so maybe it won't be that bad, but it will never be the same............

Just adding this I found in the DVD bargin fourm.... From Mark

"We have been using Infinity Resources to do some of our fulfillment since late December of 2002. At the end of March, we did merge our operation into Infinity Resources to facilitate customer service and shipping.

What does this mean?

We are making NO changes to our service policies, programs, shipping or pricing. I have managed Digital Eyes since founding it and continue to run the company. The product mix will continue to be diverse and the site will be focused on the movie collector.

Why did we do this?

We have been selling on the web since 1995. Being a mid-size retailer has had some advantages and disadvantages. Our budget has not allowed us to hire the manpower necessary to alleviate some of my workload. I have done the accounting, technical, web design and anything else that could not be covered by our staff.

This new arrangement will allow me to focus on the site and marketing to our growing customer base. As always, I am easily accessible if any of you have concerns.

Thanks,

Mark Harrill
Founder
Digital Eyes"

Some answers to our questions

Last edited by Bobou2; 05-15-03 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-15-03, 02:28 PM

Jen and Rob were great...
Old 05-15-03, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by dvd2001
Well, I hope these delays and more mediocre customer service are temporary, because I really liked dealing with this company during the last few years.

I recently sent in a QuoteMachine shipment, right after it came back online a few weeks ago. In my confirmation email, it stated that I would get the usual 10% premium for a store credit. There was no longer an option to get cash or check, but that didn't concern me.

When I got confirmation that the shipment had been received, the 10% premium was removed, and I was only credited the amount for the DVDs. OK, it's a small issue, but it's not cool to confirm a quote at one price and then change it later.

After getting the confirmation of credit added to the account, I called customer service, but didn't get any help, only being given the "I'm sorry, that's the way it is now, we're not giving the additional credit".

So, I emailed Mark, the owner, a few days ago, as he has posted here often, and offered to handle some customer service issues directly. I just wanted to make him aware of the discrepancy between the stated quote and the credit received.
No answer yet......
Been running a bit behind due to some system work and a lot of email. I responded to your message today.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-15-03, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by T. Bickle
The loss of 10% extra on used discs sold for store credit is disappointing news. I also noticed prices on some of their used inventory creeping upwards, exceeding their standard 1/2 msrp. An example of what can happen when small business is sucked up by corporate entities.
The 10% extra was removed when we started giving store credit only. At the time we did this, we also increased the price we paid for used discs which essentially gives the same net price.

As for the price increasing on used, this has not happened. All used discs are still 50% or less of retail.

Mark
Old 05-15-03, 06:02 PM

I ordered from Digital Eyes for the first time on Monday. I used paypal as the payment method and got a confirmation from paypal that payment was received. I have yet to receive an order confirmation and/or shipping notice from Digital Eyes. I emailed them yesterday but havent got a reply. Also, the order doesnt show up in my account information. I dont expect it to have arrived by now but the fact there is no order showing up on there site and the lack of response is troubling. Is this normal for them? Im beginning to worry after reading some of the comments in this thread. Can anyone that orders from them often put my mind at ease? Im regretting using paypal. Know they have my money. At least if I used the credit card, it wouldnt have been billed until shipping.
Old 05-15-03, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by kstevens
I ordered from Digital Eyes for the first time on Monday. I used paypal as the payment method and got a confirmation from paypal that payment was received. I have yet to receive an order confirmation and/or shipping notice from Digital Eyes. I emailed them yesterday but havent got a reply. Also, the order doesnt show up in my account information. I dont expect it to have arrived by now but the fact there is no order showing up on there site and the lack of response is troubling. Is this normal for them? Im beginning to worry after reading some of the comments in this thread. Can anyone that orders from them often put my mind at ease? Im regretting using paypal. Know they have my money. At least if I used the credit card, it wouldnt have been billed until shipping.
I have refunded you your money. Your order did not post correctly due to the PayPal process not being completed properly. The order was being held in our exception list. When you place a PayPal order the following appears:

(Note: When you click the Buy Now button, you will be taken to PayPal's online processing site. Once your payment has been submitted, you must click the CONTINUE button to finalize your order. If you have not received our Thank You screen, your order has not been finalized.)

If you do not click continue, PayPal does not send us confirmation that the transaction was completed. These orders are placed in a exception list and have to be manually put into the system. This is why it did not appear in the open orders list. I have refunded you for the title and am sorry that the order did not complete correctly. The title you had ordered has since sold and was the only used copy we had of that title.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-15-03, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mark,
Thanks for the response to my email, and fixing that problem.

As you said, your prices for buying used discs is very fair, and I'll continue to send them in for store credit.
Old 05-15-03, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by neiname
Jen and Rob were great...

They were better than great. They were awesome and it was sad to have to make changes.

Mark
Old 05-15-03, 06:15 PM

Be assured, DigitalEyes is a legitimate reliable etailer.
Old 05-15-03, 06:16 PM

Originally posted by T. Bickle
Like brbowen, I'm in SC and sorely miss the 2 day media mail shipping. I hope Infinity Resources doesn't pull the frequent buyer program. Although I have no major complaints and I'll still purchase from them, I fear DigitalEyes as we knew it no longer exists and will never be again.
2 day Media Mail was pretty lucky. The way we ship Media Mail now should be quicker to most areas of the country because it is pre-sorted. The only reason it took 2 days would likely be because of the proximity. The Frequent Buyer Program is not going to go away. It is a program that we will be continuing.

Mark
Old 05-15-03, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by brbowen
I've gotta tell you, i'm also disappointed in the changes at Digital Eyes. Up until the first of the year, i was using DVD Empire almost exclusively....i had heard good things about Digital Eyes. They were located in Tenn and i'm in South Carolina, so i figured shipping time would be 1 day.....2 days at the most. And i was right..everything was great. They were awesome...then they moved and it has been downhill since then. I had an order i had placed sit for a week and a half before they finally shipped it. Also, the frequent buyer points haven't been updated in a month or more. I am showing a wrong account balance in my account. Prices seem to be going up. The personal touch is gone, regardless of what Mark had promised us....talking to some of those guys they have now is like knocking your head against a wall....and now that they are in IL, shipping times are 3-4 days with Priority Mail....so that's not any better than other stores.

Anyway, needless to say, i'm dissapointed. The advantages they had over the other companies are gone. And so am i.....back to DVD Empire for me. I probably never should have left them in hindsight.
We have been lowering prices left and right so I am surprised it appears that prices have gone up. I have been reducing prices on most titles. The frequent buyer points are going to be updated Friday for the past 3 weeks. They were last updated on 4/24. Please email me if you need additional help.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-15-03, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Roy28
I'm having problems with Digital Eyes too. About a month ago, just before they started the switchover, I cancelled several items on an order because they were backordered. I then bought them elsewhere.

A couple of weeks later, I received and was charged for one of the cancelled items. I sent an email to Mark, and never received a reply. So I called, and they said they would send a return label for the item they shipped and would make sure the other items were cancelled. I still haven't received a return label, but the items I cancelled are still arriving and I'm being charged for them.

I hate to say this, because they have always been great, but they do seem to be going downhill fast. If I ever get this mess straightened out, I'm probably going to just place one more order to cash in my bonus points and then shop elsewhere.
Roy,

I did not receive your e-mail. Please resend to me and I will get you a return label you can download and use immediately. I do not show that we have anything still scheduled to ship to you.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-15-03, 07:48 PM

Mark,

Thanks for fixing the problem with my order. I'll keep and eye out for that title to pop up again.

Kurt

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.