Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sega cans major franchises???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sega cans major franchises???

From IGN:

The latest issue of Dori Maga, a multiplatform Japanese gaming magazine, includes a feature that asks various developers about possible sequels. Mostly, the developers seem to express their personal desires rather than flat-out confirming upcoming titles, but the feature is still an interesting read.

Shenmue 3 (Sega): If a sequel were to be made, it would include the entire story until the final 16th chapter. AM2 head Yu Suzuki comments that if they receive the go from Sega, the game can probably be made in a profitable fashion.

Nights (Sega): Sonic Team head Yuji Naka comments, apologetically, that people who want a port or sequel for the game can play the Game Boy Advance version by downloading from the GameCube version of Phantasy Star Online

Crazy Taxi (Sega): No signs that a sequel is being made
No surprise on Nights there, but I still wish there were. The other surprising bit is that it sound like they have not started working on Shenmue III . There was a report awhile back in which Yuji Naka said they were considering on making the third installment into a CG movie like what they did with the first one. I think Shenmue 2 stopped at the end of chapter 4 or 5 and had a really vague ending. I know they stated that these are not official announcements, but i know a lot of people were still waiting for a word on Nights. On the bright side, E3 is coming soon and maybe these guys were just bluffing.
Old 05-07-03, 03:08 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think the Shenmue games sold well at all, so it's not surprising that they would can the series. They canned the Jet Grind Radio seris for the same reason.
Old 05-07-03, 04:14 PM
Banned

I'm glad the Shenmue games are being canned. Those games sucked big time. Walking around and not doing anything except talking to the same people over and over IS NOT FUN! Sega can now focus on making better games instead of wasting time on Shenmue.
Old 05-07-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Jet Set Radio 3..

Still makes me cry every time I think about it.
Old 05-07-03, 04:20 PM

I played about 7 hours of the first Shenmue, but most of that time was spent in the Arcade playing the Sega Genesis games there, not playing actual Shenmue. I think thats a pretty good sign of a pretty bad game . Shenmue 2 I started to play because I kept reading about how intriguing the story is. After watching the DVD that comes with Shenmue 2, I didnt find the story very interesting, just your typical, father gets killed son wants revenge story with a couple of mirrors thrown in as an attempt to juice things up.
Old 05-07-03, 04:49 PM

Well, I loved the Shenmue games. The games had beautiful music, gorgeous scenery(especially the last couple hours of II) and a involving and well thought out storyline. I can see how ADD players might not care for the games, but don't say they suck, because that is absolutely not true. I really hope Sega goes ahead with Shenmue III, because as much money goes into stale FPS shooters, fighting and sports games, I like to see something with a little class every now and then. Also, this game closes a slowly fading gap between games and movies. If the dialogue and dubbing can be improved on Shenmue III, that just might be the game that closes the gap.
Old 05-07-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really enjoy Shenmue 2.... It is a really good game, more immersive than a typical RPG (which is running around and battling the same monsters for umpteenth time). However, there are parts that are VERY SLOW and that's too bad. But the story is awesome, I hope they finish the story off.
Old 05-07-03, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by evenflowddt
I'm glad the Shenmue games are being canned. Those games sucked big time. Walking around and not doing anything except talking to the same people over and over IS NOT FUN! Sega can now focus on making better games instead of wasting time on Shenmue.
Then you must not like RPG's.
Old 05-08-03, 08:24 AM

I was having fun with Shenmue, until about the last few hours into it when I just stopped playing and never picked it back up. I was so bored. Never touched number 2. Still sucks for you fans, hopefully the story is completed . I didn't know Nights did so bad that even a quick updated port seems out of the question.
Old 05-08-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RudeBoie
Then you must not like RPG's.
Old 05-08-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nights was a medium-big hit on the Saturn. I'm sure it sold a few hundred thousand copies in the US alone. Not bad for the Saturn at the time. But I guess they figure there won't be much audience for it in the current day.

Where the hell is Spike Out? Slap a Streets of Rage tag on the title and it'll sell, I'm telling you.