Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead or Alive Online (XBOX)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead or Alive Online (XBOX)

Dead or Alive 1&2 MSRP $29.99 is great buy or i am waiting for Dead or Alive 4

Tecmo plans to revive the first two Dead or Alive 3D fighters for Xbox Live, reports the latest issue of Dorimaga. Dead or Alive Online would combine both Dead or Alive (the Saturn version) and Dead or Alive 2 into one package with support for online competition on Xbox. The Xbox versions reportedly replicate the originals faithfully, and with some improvements as well, especially in the case of the first game.

The game's price and release are undecided as yet. It will be interesting to see what comes of this news at E3 -- is this the project announced last year as Code Cronus? Perhaps not, since Itagaki has already gone on record with plans to develop a full-blown DOA fighting sequel. We'll doubtless hear the full story next week.
Old 05-07-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Online 3-d fighter sounds cool! Still I spend the most time with online sports games.
Old 05-07-03, 03:18 PM

Online fighting games affected by lag the most. I doubt if an on-line DOA would be popular.
Old 05-07-03, 04:11 PM
Kyo
Cool New Member

Yeah this is Code Cronus. I'd rather have DoA++ than the Saturn version of DoA. Ayane is just the training dummy on the Saturn.

And it better be DoA2: Hard*Core and not the original.
Old 05-08-03, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kyo
Yeah this is Code Cronus. I'd rather have DoA++ than the Saturn version of DoA. Ayane is just the training dummy on the Saturn.

And it better be DoA2: Hard*Core and not the original.
Ripped from VE3D:
GameFront (via Famitsu) is reporting that a new Dead or Alive title is in the works and that it has an online mulitplayer component. The head of Tecmo's Team Ninja division has stated that this is not Code Chronus.
Old 05-08-03, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool! I love the DOA series and with this release ill finally have the 1st one.
Old 05-08-03, 11:06 AM
Kyo
Cool New Member

Originally posted by cubanx
Ripped from VE3D:
GameFront (via Famitsu) is reporting that a new Dead or Alive title is in the works and that it has an online mulitplayer component. The head of Tecmo's Team Ninja division has stated that this is not Code Chronus.

Can't they make up their minds? I guess this is just a quick cash kinda thing to make up for the delays of DoAX and Ninja Gaiden. I like the new snow stage for DoA2, though.
Old 05-08-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if they are going to up the graphics of these 2 games to take advantage of Xbox. DOA2 still looks pretty good, but DOA1 is going to show it's age.

Also, the japanese Saturn version had an interesting setting in the option menu for "Bounce Factor" there was normal, bouncy, and extreme.
Old 05-08-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
DOA sucks royally, give me Soul Calibur Online..hell I'll even take Virtua Fighter.
Old 05-08-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by zero
DOA sucks royally, give me Soul Calibur Online..hell I'll even take Virtua Fighter.

Old 05-08-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Granted the graphics of the DOA games have always been pretty good but as fighting games they have always been horrid IMHO. Does anyone actually enjoy playing the game as opposed to playing just to unlock skimpier alternative costumes for the girls? Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and the Soul Blade/Caliber games have always been way more fun to play.

Goes to show you that T&A really does sell.

EDIT: This isn't a bash. I really want to know if people enjoy playing DOA for the sake of the gameplay.
Old 05-08-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by The Franchise
Granted the graphics of the DOA games have always been pretty good but as fighting games they have always been horrid IMHO. Does anyone actually enjoy playing the game as opposed to playing just to unlock skimpier alternative costumes for the girls? Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and the Soul Blade/Caliber games have always been way more fun to play.

Goes to show you that T&A really does sell.

EDIT: This isn't a bash. I really want to know if people enjoy playing DOA for the sake of the gameplay.
Let's see.. Tekken hasn't been good since 2.. Virtua Fighter is not my style, and Soul Blade/Calibur = greatness. I know a few people that do enjoy the DOA games as games. Well at least 2/3.. to me it's just another 3D fighter.
Old 05-08-03, 01:15 PM

I love the DOA games, but I have to agree, the gameplay is as flawed at it gets. For both DOA2 and 3 I have practiced and practiced, learned many combos and moves, and yet any button masher can take me on. DOA games are pure Eye Candy, but I'm not complaining.
Old 05-08-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Let's see.. Tekken hasn't been good since 2.. Virtua Fighter is not my style, and Soul Blade/Calibur = greatness. I know a few people that do enjoy the DOA games as games. Well at least 2/3.. to me it's just another 3D fighter.
IMO Tekken has improved since Tag and part 3. Part 4 I think was a step in the right direction.
Old 05-08-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by cubanx

Your just mad cuz I said it first
Old 05-08-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DOA games are quality fighting games, especially DOA3. It is not flawed. Rather, unlike many other fighting games, there are few guaranteed combos. Most "combos" require the use of various stuns, and knowing which type of moves produce which type of stuns is critical. Counterhits produce different effects - be they different kinds of stuns or a juggle. It's also very unique from other fighting games in that it's easy to escape from a stun. But if you escape with the wrong reversal, you pay a big price.

The people who say DOA3 is a eye-candy only game are the casual gamers. Those who are serious about fighting games (ie, study them, play in tournaments) may also think DOA3 is eye-candy only. But almost all of the serious fighting gamers I know who gave DOA3 some time also came to the conclusion that although it's not as deep as VF4, it is still a pretty deep game that is fun to play and well designed.
Old 05-08-03, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I like DOA3 as a fighter and not simply for the eye candy, although the graphics are gorgeous. I would also like to say that I have become very good with reversals and combos, and no button masher beats me. A button masher will always lose to a player who knows what he is doing in this game. People may think it's shallow, but I enjoy the play style more than I enjoy VF4. It's not a knock against VF4, but that game plays so slow to me that I couldn't get into it. I just think people stereotype this game simply because it does have a lot of eye candy for perverts like myself. That doesn't mean the game can't be good.
Old 05-09-03, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joshic
DOA games are quality fighting games, especially DOA3. It is not flawed. Rather, unlike many other fighting games, there are few guaranteed combos. Most "combos" require the use of various stuns, and knowing which type of moves produce which type of stuns is critical. Counterhits produce different effects - be they different kinds of stuns or a juggle. It's also very unique from other fighting games in that it's easy to escape from a stun. But if you escape with the wrong reversal, you pay a big price.

The people who say DOA3 is a eye-candy only game are the casual gamers. Those who are serious about fighting games (ie, study them, play in tournaments) may also think DOA3 is eye-candy only. But almost all of the serious fighting gamers I know who gave DOA3 some time also came to the conclusion that although it's not as deep as VF4, it is still a pretty deep game that is fun to play and well designed.
I anything BUT a casual gamer, and I STILL dislike DOA 3. It was a tournament in my store and it was filled with tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap..COUTNER!...tap tap tap tap etc etc etc. The game simply sucks IMO, and Im glad other people like it, but then again other people also like Bloody Roar
Old 05-09-03, 01:45 PM
Retired

I've never liked the DOA games. IMO they're good for two things.

1. Eye candy
2. Party games. The button mashing nature makes them easy to pick up and play, making them perfect party games for having casual gaming friends over for a night of beer and gaming.

But for hardcore fighting game fans, their just too shallow. It has some depth to it, but nothing compared to Soul Calibur, VF4 etc.