Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 5/6/03

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who performed the best tonight?
Clay
56.06%
Josh
9.09%
Kimberley Locke
4.55%
Ruben
30.30%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 5/6/03

Old 05-06-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
American Idol - 5/6/03

Since no one else put on the poll, I guess I will. Vote for the best performance tonight. If you vote for Josh, I'll have to clobber you.

Who's the guest judge? Rumor has it that Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees will fill that slot.

Theme? Bee Gee songs, perhaps?
Old 05-06-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I considered putting down Josh because the Secret Service have swarmed my campus, but I put down Clay. I'm going into hiding now.
Old 05-06-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, Josh has some guts, performing the same song as Clay. Overall, to my surprise, I think Kimberley was the worst tonight. Josh wasn't anything special, but she just bored me to tears on both songs.

das
Old 05-06-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd rather see Kim go tomorrow over Josh.
Old 05-06-03, 08:59 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Old 05-06-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

* crickets *

The show's been over for almost an hour and a half and there's only 5 posts? I guess people are losing interest in the show.
Old 05-06-03, 09:24 PM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts
#1 - Clay

#2 - Ruben

#3 - Josh Kinda...

#4 - Kim L.

Sorry for the late post, but I just got done watching my tape...
Old 05-06-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
A few notes on tonight's show:

Josh - During "Jive Talkin'," he was so out of breath, I thought Ruben was singing. Just terrible. However, he was passable on "To Love Somebody." But passable is not the same thing as good.

Clay - His first number was probably the best I've heard all season. As for "Grease," the first time I heard it, I thought it was terrible. The second time...just okay. Really, really bad song choice...too tied to F. Valli's voice (even the Bee Gees sounded bad doing it in the intro montage.) As for the visual performance...Hey! Clay!.....Wayne Newton called and wants his Vegas shtick back.

Ruben - Not sure I quite liked the arrangement on "Nights on Broadway," but it was still good (a more active performance than I'm used to from him). "How Can You Mend" came off much, much better vocally, but it was back to the old arm stretch routine. Overall the most consistent performer (in both good and bad ways).

Kim - Neither number worked for me. The first bored me to tears. The second was okay until she tried to break all of the glass in the audience. note to Kim....you ain't no diva.

Still really want to see Josh head on out (his best is still light years behind the best of the others), but I'm guessing Kim's off night may have sunk her.

Biggest suprise of the night: No one tried "How Deep is Your Love?"

Best Tv moment of the night: The little kid shaking his head no when asked if he was wanted to see Ruben. Its not often you hear a 4 or 5 year old booed like that.

Final thought: One of the ways I judge each performance is to watch it, and then to listen to it again with eyes closed. I then ask myself, "If this came on the radio, would I hit the Scan button?" Only once tonight did I say "No." (Clay's "To Love Somebody") Not very comforting seeing that these are supposedly the best four performers out of hundreds, if not thousands, of auditions.
Old 05-06-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clay was alright. I preferred his "Grease" than his first song. Clay looked like he was falling asleep on the first song.

Too Josh-y on "Jive Talkin" but Josh recovered on his second song. Not fantastic but adequate. Isn't he also too overweight to be a Marine?

Kim stunk on the first song and did a OK knock-off of the Destiny's Child version of the original Samantha Sang song.

Ruben blew them away. His first song was an original. So different from how it was originally done that it was good. Second song was decent too.

Best: Ruben

Bottom 2 should be Kim and Josh. It doesn't matter to me which of those two goes.

Did you catch that guy in the colored glasses behind Randy? He looks familiar but I can't place a name on the face.

I hope you caught the commercial for a new Fox show. Some kind of Miss Dog Beauty Contest. I like dogs and have my own but this is going to be one of the lamest shows Fox has ever put on. 51 bitches on one stage!

Last edited by big whoppa; 05-06-03 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-06-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RichardW
* crickets *

The show's been over for almost an hour and a half and there's only 5 posts? I guess people are losing interest in the show.
As I said last week, all the hoochies (Carmen and Kim C) are gone.
Old 05-07-03, 01:47 AM

(first post here, save me)

clay: YAY. loved the first, the second was allright

ruben: same old, same old.

josh: a LOT better than last week. i THINK he might be saved but last week i also predicted he'd be booted.

kim: bored me to death. listening to her sing emotion made me realize just how great of a singer beyonce is. i'm hoping for bye bye kim this week.
Old 05-07-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome freesia and feel free to rag on the AI people all you want.
Old 05-07-03, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bye, bye Kim! Very mediocre, and bad song choice on "I Just Want to Be Your Everything".

I KNEW somebody would sing "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" and I'm glad it was Ruben. Little scratchy, but still pretty.

I have to give Josh credit for picking up his performance after very harsh criticisms these last several weeks.

Clay -- like you, but quit promoting yourself to the camera! All that gesturing of making a phone call and holding up 2 fingers is not classy.
Old 05-07-03, 05:49 AM
Banned

I was disappointed with Kim. She sounded weak at the beginning of each song. I had hoped Josh would go this week, but I think Kim gets it tonight.

Josh is competitive; it showed in his choice to do the same song as Clay. Or maybe he chose it first and Clay decided after him to do it..... Either way Josh seems to excel when he's in the mood to compete.

I wonder how well the performers are getting along behind the scenes. They didn't look too comfortable together at the end of the show.
Old 05-07-03, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Josh`s country "twang" touch on every song really gets on my nerves..

Clay sounds like he belongs more on broadway then the billboard charts..

Rueben has that Luther thing going

I think Kimberly has great vocal range but last night was not her best
Old 05-07-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Clay's singing brings out the schoolgirl in me. Is that wrong? He totally nailed his first song, and was just coasting on his second song (Grease). I had more fun watching Randy's reaction to Clay's mini-me hip movements.

Kimberley may own these songs, but I can't really say that's a good thing in some respects (because I don't care for her rendition of the songs as she's got that weird raspy/froggy thing going on that lends a not-so-pleasant listening experience for me).

Josh Josh Josh, he repackaged his "Celebration" routine for his first song. Anytime a singer starts flying around the audience, it's a desperation move. I did think he did much better on his second song, but I preferred Clay's version over Josh's version.

Ruben wears on me once again for another week. How much "Ruben you make me feel all warm and fuzzy" critiques can we suffer from Paula before I hurl? Randy loves the guy, but I still can't get over that scratchiness of his vocals in many spots. Close your eyes when Ruben sings, and the scratchiness comes to the forefront much easier. Ruben's got "look how happy I am" look when he sings, and people get all excited by it. Whatever.

Bottom two: Josh and Kimberley. But with this voting system, Clay might be vulnerable.
Old 05-07-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish this show would just wrap up now. We've seen each performer enough to vote a final person.

Josh stinks. He does have a decent voice, but he's so cleary worse than the others.

I very very rarely listen to ballads, but the Bee Gees songs were a lot better than most of the themes from previous shows. Their songs have just enough twists in them to be interesting.
Old 05-07-03, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by rkndkn

Clay -- like you, but quit promoting yourself to the camera! All that gesturing of making a phone call and holding up 2 fingers is not classy. [/B]

Yeah, that was really getting on my nerves. Let it go already. I thought Clay's Grease was just terrible. At least Simon was honest about it after all the other judges "love" for that retched performance. Kim L was disappointing last night, which is too bad, I still say she has the best voice in the bunch. Josh did come back a bit with his second number, and Reuben was Reuben. Bottom 2 (no surprise) will be Kim L and Josh.
Old 05-07-03, 08:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hey Clay, Michael Jackson called. He wants his jacket back.
Old 05-07-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
Clay's singing brings out the schoolgirl in me. Is that wrong?
You too?

One thing I noticed that really made everyone sound off last night were the backing vocals. They were way too high, volume and tone-wise.

Anyway, my breakdown of the contestants:

Josh - Awful. Awful, awful, awful. If he weren't a marine, I doubt he would have made it this far.

Clay -

Kim - Eh. Not terrible, but not great.

Reuben - Wrong songs. Especially "Nights on Broadway." Way too high for his vocal range.
Old 05-07-03, 08:42 AM

Received 773 Likes on 504 Posts
... you know what I like about American Idol on Tuesday nights?

The fact that the rerun of Nashville Star is on later that night!

Go Buddy Jewell!

(Too bad its over now... )
Old 05-07-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, we were just amazed at all the Josh-rapture from the judges. I am only hoping they are trying to avoid the backlash of votes for him if he got the criticism he deserved. His first song was just awful. A joke. I guess his second song was better, but sounded no where near as good as Clay's version. it was really telling at the end, when they played both clips back to back. I was surprised he didn't do "Islands in the Stream".

I can't stand Josh so much. His hand movements drive me crazy! What the hell is he doing? He look slike he has one of those "hand exercisers" in his fist and he is squeezing it or something. Ugh.

Basically, I thought Clay and Ruben were both great. Clay's "Grease" didn't deserve all the negativity, I thought it was fun. Kim Locke was okay, not as good as Clay and Ruben but far better than Josh.

True to my word last week, I sat down and called for EVERYBODY BUT JOSH (I had not been voting at all this season.) I was calling for almost the full two hours. I was not able to get onto Ruben's line once. I finally got a few votes in for Clay towards the end. Kimberley Locke's was also busy for quite some time but I managed to get the most votes in for her. I was interested to know how busy Josh's lines were but no way was I going to call and find out.
Old 05-07-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, it's interesting that the only "Disco" Bee Gees song was performed by Josh.

Surprised no one did "Tragedy". I think Kimberley Locke could have done an interesting version of that song.
Old 05-07-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally posted by WhoGirl

Josh - Awful. Awful, awful, awful. If he weren't a marine, I doubt he would have made it this far.
I kind of wonder if he isn't getting some kind of boost from either people in the military or their families in addition to the brownie points he gets for being a Marine.

'cuz last week when he finished ahead of Ruben, it seemed obvious that something had to be going on.

He should've been booted after "Celebration."
Old 05-07-03, 08:59 AM

My 2 cents:

Clay - "Grease" was just so-so, though he seemed to have fun with it. "To Love Somebody", however, just may be my favorite performance of this whole competition.

Kim - A very off night: Poor song choices and arrangements. It seemed she had trouble finding her way in the songs (if that makes any sense). It's going to be tough for her to survive at this point.

Ruben - "Nights on Broadway" sounded terrible to me: raspy and not in his comfort zone. "How Do You Mend", on the other hand, was the perfect song choice for him and beautifully sung. (I just wish he didn't bore me so much...)

Josh - I can't express how much I hated "Jive Talking". Most of Josh's worst performances (which have been most of Josh's performances) are these up-beat numbers, which his lack of style and ability turns into trainwrecks of shouted lyrics, phony twang, finger jabs, and facial grimaces. He did much better on his countrified version of "To Love Somebody" -- too bad Clay had already hit that one out of the park.

Last edited by Skorp; 05-07-03 at 09:02 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.