Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why no Stan Lee cameo in X2?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know? He's had bit parts in all of the recent Marvel comic movies, including the first X-Men, I wonder why he was a no-show for this one?
Old 05-03-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I seem to remember, but I could be wrong, that he said he wasn't going to do cameos anymore. Not sure about that, though.
Old 05-03-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Deftones
I seem to remember, but I could be wrong, that he said he wasn't going to do cameos anymore. Not sure about that, though.
Yeah, it's pretty hypocrital for Stan to beg to make cameos in any more Marvel movies when the guy is sueing Marvel for millions of dollars.

The guy is a hack, an idiot & a crybaby so I'm glad he doesn't get the privilege to cameo in these movies anymore.
Old 05-03-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Isn't he sueing Sony, not marvel? I mean how could he sue himself.. He is fogarty now is he?
Old 05-03-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Isn't he sueing Sony, not marvel? I mean how could he sue himself.. He is fogarty now is he?
I'm not sure if I have this straight, but I think that Marvel is suing Sony, and Stan Lee is suing Marvel. I don't believe he is affiliated with Marvel any longer (but of course I may be wrong about all of this).
Old 05-03-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Sessa17
The guy is a hack, an idiot & a crybaby so I'm glad he doesn't get the privilege to cameo in these movies anymore.
Wow. Good thing that him and the other "founding fathers" [Lee, Kirby, Kane, Finger, etc..] that got screwed created all these characters that're making Marvel MUCHO $$$.

Oh, but wait...I forgot...with the "new math" Spider-Man didn't turn a profit..
Originally posted by johnglass
I'm not sure if I have this straight, but I think that Marvel is suing Sony, and Stan Lee is suing Marvel. I don't believe he is affiliated with Marvel any longer (but of course I may be wrong about all of this).
Perhaps it's like if you're in a car accident with your friend...You sue your friend's insurance company who, in turn, sues the other drivers insurance company?
Old 05-03-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Stan Lee has said he's not doing cameos in the sequels, he's still in the Hulk. I imagine he probably won't show up in films with characters he had no hand in creating, like the Punisher.
Old 05-03-03, 03:58 PM

stan lee and jack kirby will get creator credit in the credits for the hulk. he's right for suing marvel, he should get a chunk of change for being the CREATOR. a set yearly salary ain't enought if your character makes a billion dollars that year.
Old 05-03-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stan Lee IS sueing Marvel, not Sony.

And Stan Lee is a hack. For one, even if he did create Spidey, Hulk, etc (which I feel he did not). He did so as a freelance writer who was hired at the time by Marvel. When you are a creator & you work for Marvel you sign a waiver that states that any character you create or are a part of creating is PROPERTY OF MARVEL. Thus Marvel owns the characters, not Stan Lee, & Marvel can do with as they please.

And I know the Spidey documentary & the liked will tell you otherwise. But Stan Lee is not the man that should be getting all glowing credit & praise for creative these characters. It was the artist. Stan said something like : gee, wouldn't it be cool if there was a guy & he had the powers of a spider. IT was the artist that actually created the character. Yeah, Lee wrote some stories for the characters but even those he had help on, but most people don't even pay attention to that.

Lee is an absolute hack. It's funny that when they made the Fantastic Four movie, the old Spider-man cartoon & all of these other projects Stan Lee was fine getting his name in a credit, but now all of a sudden that there are movies making hundreds of millions of dollars, not all of a sudden he feels the need to make a big deal that he is not getting what he feels he deserves.

Last edited by Sessa17; 05-03-03 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

but now all of a sudden that there are movies making hundreds of millions of dollars, not all of a sudden he feels the need to make a big deal that he is not getting what he feels he deserves.

Look of what you're saying....Money rules all
Old 05-04-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
...And Stan Lee is a hack....Lee is an absolute hack...
Don't be so subtle, tell us how you really feel!
Old 05-04-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I actually like Stan Lee quite a bit. He's a great personality and i will always associate him directly with Marvel Comics. I loved seeing his cameos and i think seeing him in more would be fun.
Old 05-04-03, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, Stan Lee does not deserve sole credit for creating the Marvel Universe. However, Kirby is dead, so it's rather hard for him to be involved in the movies, and Ditko just doesn't want anything to do with it, and from what I understand, several inviations have been extended to him. But you will find Kirby's and Ditko's name mentioned in the credits in these movies when when appropriate. Not that I am saying Stan Lee is a perfect guy, there is a reason two of the biggest giants who worked with him at the beginning didn't and don't want anything to do with him after all this time, I am sure, but at least Stan Lee acknowleges their input. You want to see a true bastard in the comics world? Check out Bob Kane, who took ALL the credit for Batman and the supporting characters, when Bill Finger was the one insturmental in taking a very rough, incomplete idea Kane had and helped him make the character into a media giant, and Bill Finger is the one who created the majority of the great characters that still populate the Batman universe to this day, not Kane. Bill Finger died without ever getting credit for helping Bob Kane create and flesh out Batman. Bob Kane's comments in his autobiography? "He never asked for the credit." Uh, I didn't think you had to ask. I doubt Steve Ditko asked to be credited in the Spider Man movie, but yet Stan Lee still honors him in that regard. You may not like him, but he's not the worst by far.
Old 05-05-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Stan Lee always give credit to Kirby and Ditko. I don't remember him ever trying to take all the credit for Marvel.

And if I were him, I'd sue Marvel, too.
They had a very straightforward contract that said in effect, Stan would get 10% of the profits of movies that used his characters. Of course, since Marvel movies usually ended up like The Punisher, they jumped at it. But then Spiderman came out and Stan said, 'Where's my check?'. All of a sudden, Marvel claims that Spiderman didn't make any profit. That is evil. Because you know that if the table were turned, Marvel wouldn't hesistate to sue Stan Lee.

D
Old 05-05-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
While I totally agree Kirby got the shaft by Marvel, I don't think we should swing the pendulum around 180 degrees the other way and suddenly decide Lee did nothing and Kirby created everything. It was very much a collaborative process -- and Lee's writing, cheesy as it sometimes seems today, really helped Marvel's early comics stand apart from the pack. Having read some of what Kirby's work was like without Lee's words, it definitely was lesser. Without Stan Lee's words and drive for hype, I seriously doubt we'd even see an X-Men or Spider-Man movie today.

I don't know anything about this lawsuit going on, though.
Old 05-05-03, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
I don't know anything about this lawsuit going on, though.
There are 2:

1. Stan Lee v. Marvel - this is for the check that Lee never got for Spider-Man, which Marvel says made no profit (excuse me while I laugh hysterically). Marvel is basically caught with their pants down, bent over the sink on this one...they signed the contract to give Lee 10% on all his properties. This also extends to X-Men, X2, Daredevil, Hulk and any sequels of those titles.

2. Marvel v. Sony - Yes, this never-ending lawsuit has popped up again. Marvel wants Spider-Man rights stripped from Sony (which won it against every other studio that wanted it in about 1999/2000), probably to give it to 20th Century Fox (who have X-Men and Daredevil). I am guessing Fox gives them a better deal...maybe Marvel didn't think Spider-Man was going to make $400+ million.

Basically, Marvel is falling into its past stupidity again. They will probably not win either, although Sony v. Fox would be pretty entertaining on this one. It took over a decade for Sony to get the rights to the movie...who knows how long this will take.

And as for Sessa17...*sigh*. If there was no Lee (or Ditko, Kirby, etc.) there would be no Spider-Man or any other Lee made/co-made properties. Then you would have nothing to complain about because we would not have the characters nor the decades of comics to look back through.
Old 05-05-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lee is an absolute hack. It's funny that when they made the Fantastic Four movie, the old Spider-man cartoon & all of these other projects Stan Lee was fine getting his name in a credit, but now all of a sudden that there are movies making hundreds of millions of dollars, not all of a sudden he feels the need to make a big deal that he is not getting what he feels he deserves.
The contract was signed in 1998 to give Lee 10% of profits on any movie/TV thing that his characters were in. Funny, back in 1998 all of these movies were but a twinkle in everyone's eyes. Spider-Man rights were still in legal hell and the Hulk was still in a holding pattern.

Fact is Marvel has its pants down and brought up the (laughable) "fact" that Spider-Man made no profit...heh. Right, Marvel...right...
Old 05-05-03, 06:52 PM
Suspended

The interview I read said that he thought it would be gratuitous to have cameos in sequels.
Old 05-05-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
And I know the Spidey documentary & the liked will tell you otherwise. But Stan Lee is not the man that should be getting all glowing credit & praise for creative these characters. It was the artist. Stan said something like : gee, wouldn't it be cool if there was a guy & he had the powers of a spider. IT was the artist that actually created the character. Yeah, Lee wrote some stories for the characters but even those he had help on, but most people don't even pay attention to that.
Firsthand knowledge? Or speculation?