International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Wild Zero?

Old 04-30-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wild Zero?

What's the best version to get? I'm just looking for great picture and sound - no need for fluff extras.

I did a search, but while I found a lot of threads using the words "wild" and "zero" amid threads mentioning opinions of the film, I don't know what's the best to get.

Any help?
Old 04-30-03, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know. But I have the King R2 NTSC Japanese DVD up for trade in the International Trade Thread (plug)

Be warned that it is a lower budget movie and the sounds were intentionally distorted.
Old 04-30-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 825 Posts
R1 version from Synapse is due in August according to their website. But this keeps getting delayed...

There's the German letterbox version:

http://hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.3061/qx/details.htm

There's a new anamorphic UK R2 version from ArtsMagic that was just released last week:

http://www.artsmagic.co.uk/EasternCultCinema/index.htm

I assume there is also a Japanese version, but without english subs.

So if you want it NOW, it looks like the UK version is the one to get. Although I haven't read any reviews...

Or, you can wait for the R1
Old 04-30-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eXcentris
R1 version from Synapse is due in August according to their website. But this keeps getting delayed...

I assume there is also a Japanese version, but without english subs.

So if you want it NOW, it looks like the UK version is the one to get. Although I haven't read any reviews...

Or, you can wait for the R1
Um. The Japanese R2 has english subs. Both Japanese versions to be exact.
Old 04-30-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,239 Likes on 825 Posts
I assumed wrong. I stand corrected.
Old 04-30-03, 03:12 PM

this is #2 on my must buy list, i downloaded the trailer and it looks hilarious! i'll probably pick out a cheaper one from hkflix, i'm not expecting great sound or picture, so might as well get a cheap one!
Old 04-30-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really couldn't get into it. But... zombies and rock 'n roll should be appealing to most people!
Old 04-30-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought for Trigger the Wild Zero dvd from Japan.It has english subs.Maybe he could post a review of it.
Old 04-30-03, 10:21 PM

Wild Zero... one of the worst movies I've ever watched...

The R2 Japanese DVD suits the movie, which is a low budget production... grainy image, but acceptable quality.
And has English subs...

J.T.
Old 05-01-03, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kumar J
I bought for Trigger the Wild Zero dvd from Japan.It has english subs.Maybe he could post a review of it.
Actually - I asked you to pick up the Wild Zero soundtrack for me which you couldn't locate at the time... I already had Wild Zero - it was one of the first few Japan DVDs I ever bought. The stuff you did pick up for me was all cool though.

Don't ask me about transfer quality I guess since my opinion is never very popular on that subject. For what it's worth though, I've watched the DVD several times and had no issues with sound, picture or subtitles at all. I've yet to see a Japanese DVD with poor video quality. However, if there's a UK disc or something from another region, I'd look into that first since Japanese DVDs tend to be hella expensive. It's a great movie (IMO) that has a few themes that might turn off the casual viewer. Zombie-lovers and those who dig quirky and bizarre films will probably love it. I'd say a good measure would be if you liked Doom Generation and Cemetary Man, you'll likely dig this.
Old 05-01-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like this is one of those movies that you either "love it" or "hate it"
Old 05-01-03, 11:31 AM

If you have seen GW live you'll get the movie.
If not, it's pretty much up for grabs IMHO.
People hate the sondtrack, again if you have seen any of the bands on the ST- you'll get the movie.
If you ever bought a Crypt/SFTRI/Estrus record....
Old 05-01-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought this movie was a blast... I had some shady moments, some poor production values and the pacing was weird at places (which could have been intentional, I'm not sure).

BUT, everything else was so immensely amusing that it totally overcame all the aformentioned shortcomings. The image was OK on the R2 Japanese release (Non Anamorphic, but the film is in 1.66:1 so it's acceptable), but the Audio was only 2.0. I wanted a 5.1 or DTS track to CRANK THIS SUCKER UP!!!
Old 05-01-03, 01:04 PM

I enjoyed the movie quite a lot...Looking forward to an R1 release, if it's decent..
Old 05-04-03, 06:55 PM

I am all about Wild Zero. If you like punk rock and zombies, I couldn't imagine you not having a good time with this movie. I also have the King Records R2, and it looks fine. I like the movie enough that I'll probably get the Synapse version as well.