Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 4/30 "Empty Places"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy 4/30 "Empty Places"

Wow, next week can't come soon enough. I really didn't expect that ending, but I guess they've been leading up to it for a while. I loved the scene in the basement during Act 1 with Anya and Andrew writing on the board, expecially him underlining "breakup sex" on the board.

Last edited by Brian_92gsr; 04-28-03 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-28-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a great episode, IMO. I have been really dissapointed with the last number of shows. It seems to be building to a bug finale, but it is taking too long to get there. Let's have more action, and less motivational speeches!
Old 04-28-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And didn't it seem like Buffy had laryngitis at the beginning of the show?
Old 04-28-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by movieking
And didn't it seem like Buffy had laryngitis at the beginning of the show?
I noticed that too.

and btw, that deal with Andrew writing on the marker board was hilarious!
Old 04-28-03, 08:21 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I thought it was a very strong episode. I look forward to the bug finale. And Faith seemed to have laryngitis last episode, at the Hospital with Willow.
Old 04-28-03, 08:42 PM

I noticed that with Faith and Buffy as well. I liked Dirty Girls more overall. Not a whole lot really happened aside from Buffy getting kicked out of the club (though that is pretty big).

Does anyone know if the final two episodes are a two parter like the end of season two and three, or more like seasons five and six with no actual "to be continued" line at the end?
Old 04-29-03, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought it was a mediocre episode...until the last 10 minutes when it took a very serious turn. It was like "The Yoko Factor" played straight. Everyone who's been upset with Buffy's demeanor this season(and I'm one of them) will love what happens at the end.

Best moments(aside from the ending) were Anya's line about Xander and the Spike/Andrew conversation.
Old 04-29-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What band was playing at the Bronze?
Old 04-29-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know we're supposed to feel all pitiful and sad for Buffy, but God almighty, her little general routine was getting tired.
Old 04-29-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Don't know how I felt about this ep..

[Well, Faith was as usual..& Spike & Andrew's conversation about Onion Blossoms ..]
Old 04-29-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Am I missing something?
This episode airs tonight, right?

Anyways, it's good to see that this season went back to the more "fun" tone of year-one Buffy just like Joss promised. Like when Andrew was deceived into killing his best friend, or when Xander got his eye poked out, or when a SIT got killed and others got seriously injured - HA HA HA!!!

Bring on the laughs, ME!
Old 04-29-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The ending was awesome... I couldn't believe it... can't wait for the last few episodes...

MATT
Old 04-29-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by slop101
Anyways, it's good to see that this season went back to the more "fun" tone of year-one Buffy just like Joss promised. Like when Andrew was deceived into killing his best friend, or when Xander got his eye poked out, or when a SIT got killed and others got seriously injured - HA HA HA!!!
I thought I was the only one that had a sense of humour..
Old 04-29-03, 01:02 PM

Nerf Herder was playing at the bronze.
Old 04-29-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool...they do the theme, don't they?

I think that we are not supposed to like Buffy anymore. I mentioned this a few episodes ago, and it seems even more like it now...

And Buffy airs in Canada on Mondays, hence some people being able to see it first (not mentioning those with download fever though )
Old 04-29-03, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by movieking
Cool...they do the theme, don't they?
Right. I think this is the first time they've appeared on the show, though I could be wrong.
Old 04-29-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Brian_92gsr
Right. I think this is the first time they've appeared on the show, though I could be wrong.
No you are correct sir!
Old 04-29-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I wonder if Eliza Dushku smokes in real life? Her voice seemed a bit deeper on her recent Angel and Buffy episodes.
Old 04-29-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by slop101

Bring on the laughs, ME!
He actually said this?! That is something I've been missing in the show since season 6 (when they really started screwing up the characters, in my opinion)! I've been going back and watching some of my favorites from earlier seasons, and it just impresses on me how much I miss the "old" days when Buffy wasn't all grumpy, Xander and Anya were funny and got some actual screen time, Spike was all baddy, Giles did more than brood and worry, etc.. As much as I want to be enjoying season 7, it just isn't giving me the great feeling I think it should .

Of course, all of this is coming from someone that just started watching Buffy the day after last Christmas (finished seasons 1-7.5 in 26 days!), but I'm still a fan, right?
Old 04-29-03, 08:51 PM

I've been wondering for the last two seasons now why they've kept that lame shot of Spike and Dawn (wearing a helmet) on the motorcycle in the opening credits. Tonight the joke finally paid off.
Old 04-29-03, 10:48 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
The scene with Spike and Andrew on the bike was hilarious.
"If you tell anyone about this I'll bite you"

I thought it was good. I did find it hard to believe that Dawn would decide as quickly as she did that Buffy had to leave. After Buffy died for her you'd think Dawn would stick up for her.

Eliza
Old 04-29-03, 11:12 PM

Great ending to a really so-so episode.

With so few episodes left they should all be spectacular. Really pull out all the stops with the writing. But no, we get tonights drivel, with only the big plot development at the very end.

Angel has me on the edge of my seat every night. And with Buffy I find myself getting up to do the dishes because I am bored.
Things had better get better.
Old 04-29-03, 11:16 PM

This show hurts my head.

I liked the episode (it took time to let the characters be people, and not just plot devices), but it's hurt by all that came before it.

The biggest issue is the half-assed nature of the "Everybody's fleeing Sunnydale!" subplot. Why? Why, in the eight or ten episodes they wasted this season, couldn't we see what was going on that's demonstrably worse than everything that's happened before? There's nothing to explain the sudden exodus, and it's irritating.

And wasn't the Bronze just a little bit crowded for a town that's got so much off-camera strife that everyone's fleeing and the high school's been closed? Bah.

Other thoughts:

Spike is infinitely less annoying when he doesn't have camera time with Buffy. He was useful, relevant, and not once did I have to hear that "Spike has a soul! He's good! Soulsoulsoul!" I actually liked him during the Spike/Andrew scenes. I'm sure it'll only be temporary.

Anya's back! She's useful, and not at all into Buffy's defeatest mindset. It's nice to see somebody talk about the bad guys for a long period of time without saying "YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!!!1!!!!" 'Course, Kennedy shows up in the next scene to bring the gloom and doom to the forefront.

I liked the two scenes in this episode that related to people dealing with Xander's injury. I'll take any scene that demonstrates the long, enduring friendship between Willow and Xander, and the one in the hospital was really sweet. And Buffy, in her office, getting sniffly over the photo was a nice touch. She had emotions. About somebody who wasn't a bleach-blond vampire!

While I understand what they were going for at the end, it didn't work for me. Throwing Buffy out of the house, alone and unarmed, seemed extremely excessive. Exile her to her room, remove her from the decision making process, whatever. But chucking her out on the street was just dumb. I kind of wish Buffy had just proposed stealing some more military equipment, and bombing the vineyard. Not just a full-on assault-of-death. Instead, she proposes the dumbest course of action possible ("You know that recent slaughter? Let's do it again!"), and receives the most harsh punishment possible.
Old 04-30-03, 12:35 AM

I actually liked the ending.

Most of this season, Dawn has been kind of in the background, the little sister who really had no part in anything. I thought, tonight, that Dawn had FINALLY grown up--Michelle did a great job of conveying her newfound self-reliance, which came out of Buffy ignoring her.

Buffy certainly is as annoying as ever. But to think, she's turning down being Buffy to be the new ditsy Daphne! Good career move, Sarah!
Old 04-30-03, 01:13 AM

Originally posted by CCGoldRush
I actually liked the ending.

Most of this season, Dawn has been kind of in the background, the little sister who really had no part in anything. I thought, tonight, that Dawn had FINALLY grown up--Michelle did a great job of conveying her newfound self-reliance, which came out of Buffy ignoring her.

Buffy certainly is as annoying as ever. But to think, she's turning down being Buffy to be the new ditsy Daphne! Good career move, Sarah!
more like safe career move with a bigger paycheck. I refused to watch Scooby Doo simply because of SMG's husband and I guess it will be pretty easy to ignore the oh so coy, Scooby Too....wondering how long it will be before we see a proper film version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.