Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men Fans...i got a question...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now maybe it has something to do with the comics... but why the hell isn't Gambit in X2?

Did he not show up for a while in the books? or what? That was my biggest dissapointment in the first one... and i thought for sure they'd bring him in for this one...

Not to mention Beast and Angel... which they apparently took out of the script for no other reason than it being "too much work" to have them in...

Granted, i'll see it... but the whole time i'm sure i'll just be thinking how cool it would be to have Gambit in the mix...
Old 04-27-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
He doesn't show up in the comic books until after quite a few of the others... but that really has no effect on the character choices in the movies. I think i read somewhere that he wasn't used because his character is somewhat similar to Wolverine's.

Plus, i don't think Gambit would be as good without the attraction with Rogue, which was thrown out with Rogue's age and her attraction to Iceman. Oh well.
Old 04-27-03, 01:24 AM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
I could've sworn that I heard he's one of many small cameos in X2.
Old 04-27-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Obviously its because of the Patriotic backlash against any and all things remotely French. (Or maybe Jean-Claude wasn't available?)

Personally, I think there were too many characters in the original (Cyclops got shafted). Between introducing all the mutants and setting up their backstories, there wasn't much room for a plot. That shouldn't be as much of a problem in the sequel.
Old 04-27-03, 01:51 AM

Originally posted by Tom Banjo
I could've sworn that I heard he's one of many small cameos in X2.
Yea, i had heard that too... but Greg over at Yahoo! Movies saw it and confirmed that he is not in it.
Old 04-27-03, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by Calculon

Personally, I think there were too many characters in the original (Cyclops got shafted). Between introducing all the mutants and setting up their backstories, there wasn't much room for a plot. That shouldn't be as much of a problem in the sequel.
It just seems odd to me... i'm not the biggest X-Men fan, meaning, i dont know much about the stories... but it was always to my knowledge that Gambit was one of the main ones...

Yea, and that Iceman is just lame. As is Pyro...

Ugh.
Old 04-27-03, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
At least Iceman was part of the original X-men in the comics. If you're not familiar with the history of the comic book, it shouldn't bother you if certain members of the X-Men make appearances in the movie or not. Gambit wasn't even part of the re-vamped team in Giant Sized X-men #1.

Last edited by devilshalo; 04-27-03 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-27-03, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel Gambit should be part of the X-men more then Pyro needs to be in there.

Ice Man should be representing, but they should have really kept his age the same as the comics, one of the founding members of the x team from the get go, then again, no beast so far so we really can't go on the whole comic book time line to begin with.

For the love of god don't let Gambit be played by john claude.. oh yeah.. Gambit is indeed in X2, though only in a small cameo. Hopefully his character does get fleshed out because unlike Wolvie, Gambits backstory of being a traitor is actually interesting.

http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0290334

James Bamford .... Remy LeBeau/Gambit
Old 04-27-03, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by devilshalo
At least Iceman was part of the original X-men in the comics. If you're not familiar with the history of the comic book, it shouldn't bother you if certain members of the X-Men make appearances in the movie or not. Gambit wasn't even part of the re-vamped team in Giant Sized X-men #1.
well, if Gambit is my favorite member, regardless of my lack of knowledge about X-Men history, then yes, it should bother me that he is not in X2.
Old 04-27-03, 03:12 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I feel Gambit should be part of the X-men more then Pyro needs to be in there.

For the love of god don't let Gambit be played by john claude.. oh yeah.. Gambit is indeed in X2, though only in a small cameo. Hopefully his character does get fleshed out because unlike Wolvie, Gambits backstory of being a traitor is actually interesting.

http://us.imdb.com/Credits?0290334

James Bamford .... Remy LeBeau/Gambit
Nah, it looks like his cameo got cut...

According to Greg @ Yahoo! Movies...

(4/23/03) Although there have been reports that a stuntman/actor named James Bamford filmed an uncredited cameo as Remy LeBeau, AKA Gambit, he doesn't appear in the released movie (maybe this scene will be on the DVD)?
Old 04-27-03, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Gambit is one of my faves too but even in the X-men 2 novelization I just read he isn't in it. Granted, I may have missed a mention but he's not in it.
Old 04-27-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You read the novel before watching it?? My god! the spoilers!
Old 04-27-03, 09:13 AM

I don't think Gambit appeared until something like Uncanny #144 or something (or was that Jubilee?). Either way, he's still a relative new-comer.
Old 04-27-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think Gambit was much later... into the early to mid 200's.

As for Iceman... while he's a little young, when the X-Men started he was always the youngest X-Man until Kitty Pryde and Jubilee appeared. So that's not too far of a stretch.
Old 04-27-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by NiCK Crush
well, if Gambit is my favorite member, regardless of my lack of knowledge about X-Men history, then yes, it should bother me that he is not in X2.

If fans got their wish everytime a comic book movie was being made there'd be no way to fit in every X-men in the span of a 2 hour movie. Where's Banshee, Angel/Archangel, Sunfire, Psylocke, Beast, Havok, Polaris, Bishop?
Old 04-27-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If fans got their wish everytime a comic book movie was being made there'd be no way to fit in every X-men in the span of a 2 hour movie. Where's Banshee, Angel/Archangel, Sunfire, Psylocke, Beast, Havok, Polaris, Bishop?
Who cares? We want Gambit, damn it.

I think a lot of people would have been pleased to see him in X2. That's all I'm trying to say. More so than Banshee, Angel/Archangel, Sunfire, Psylocke, Beast, Havok, Polaris, or (maybe) Bishop.
Old 04-27-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a short clip on the xmen site that shows Banshee in the new x-men movie.
Old 04-27-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Corvin
Who cares? We want Gambit, damn it.

I think a lot of people would have been pleased to see him in X2. That's all I'm trying to say. More so than Banshee, Angel/Archangel, Sunfire, Psylocke, Beast, Havok, Polaris, or (maybe) Bishop.
We? Please don't generalize all X-men fans. I'm just happy they included Colossus and Nightcrawler. And I'm hoping more will happen with Sprite Shadowcat and Jubilee.

Besides, X2 is centering around 2 story arcs... Wolverine's past and the Mutant Registration Act. How do you write the Shadow King, Storm as a child and the intro of Gambit into that?
Old 04-27-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Zodo
There's a short clip on the xmen site that shows Banshee in the new x-men movie.
Which clip is it? The only one they show has Siryn, who is Banshee's daughter in the comics.
Old 04-27-03, 12:32 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Geez people. There's only so many characters you can cram into one movie. But I'm just spitting in the wind here. This will happen with EVERY X-Men movie they make. "Waaah! They left out _______! Boo hoo hoo! How dare the filmmakers not consult with ME and ask MY favorites?"
Old 04-27-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We? Please don't generalize all X-men fans.
Wait a minute. Where did I say I was speaking for all X-men fans?

I was speaking for those of us in the thread. I'm not an X-Men fan, per se. Neither are a lot of my friends. We have a loose knowledge of the world, and nearly everyone I speak to with some loose knowledge of the world wonders why they didn't include Gambit.

And your second argument makes no sense, really. Had they gone with Gambit, then other story points would have been dropped, so there would be time for character introduction. Furthermore, why does he need a huge introduction? It looks as if tons of new characters are being introduced into this movie--what's one more?
Old 04-27-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Corvin
Wait a minute. Where did I say I was speaking for all X-men fans?
When you used the word WE instead of using I.

And your second argument makes no sense, really. Had they gone with Gambit, then other story points would have been dropped, so there would be time for character introduction. Furthermore, why does he need a huge introduction? It looks as if tons of new characters are being introduced into this movie--what's one more?
How does it not make sense? Are you so blind as to only want to see your favorite X-man that you throw out who people screamed to see? The main draw for the X-men is Wolverine. He is the main character story in the first movie. He is the main character story in X2. The filmmakers haven't fleshed out much of Cyclops, Jean or Storm. As Singer said, the mansion is a school for the gifted. All of the mutants being introduced [Siryn, Iceman, Kitty Pryde, Colossus, Jubilee] were, at one time, actual students and recruited as such in the books. Pyro can start as a student then cross over to the Brotherhood. Gambit was never a student and to make him one would violate his origin. How would you explain him being there without going into the Thieves Guild/Shadow King story and after the filmmakers already establishing the team [Cyclops, Jean, Storm] in the first movie? They're already taking the time to introduce Kurt Wagner. Sure they've taken some liberties, but they still fall within some form of continuity.

What's one more character that YOU want to see in a full story arc? How about another $100 million and 90 - 120 minutes.
Old 04-27-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

(1) When you used the word WE instead of using I.

(2) How does it not make sense? Are you so blind as to only want to see your favorite X-man that you throw out who people screamed to see? The main draw for the X-men is Wolverine. He is the main character story in the first movie. He is the main character story in X2. The filmmakers haven't fleshed out much of Cyclops, Jean or Storm. As Singer said, the mansion is a school for the gifted. All of the mutants being introduced [Siryn, Iceman, Kitty Pryde, Colossus] were, at one time, actual students and recruited as such in the books. Pyro can start as a student then cross over to the Brotherhood. Gambit was never a student and to make him one would violate his origin. How would you explain him being there without going into the Thieves Guild/Shadow King story and after the filmmakers already establishing the team [Cyclops, Jean, Storm] in the first movie? They're already taking the time to introduce Kurt Wagner. Sure they've taken some liberties, but they still fall within some form of continuity.

What's one more character that YOU want to see in a full story arc? How about another $100 million and 90 - 120 minutes.
(1) Oh, you're right. I couldn't have been speaking only for the people in this thread that share similar beliefs. . .

(2) You're missing the general principle of my argument. You're assuming that we have to fit the story that is actually in X2 along with the introduction of Gambit. I'm saying forget the real storylines. Why couldn't one have been created that integrated Gambit? It, arguably, could have happened. It's obviously not going to work within the confines of X2, but again, that's not my point. Instead, you're saying, well we have X and X and X (no pun intended), so we can't have Y. I'm saying we should have started with Y (Y being Gambit), and then wrote X and X and X.
Old 04-27-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On the Fox segement last Sunday, I seen a scene where Mystique is scrolling down ona computer with apparantly mutant names and she lights the name of Remy and smiles. Singer probably added some in-jokes for comic fans, like Raimi did in Spider-Man. Gambit appears in Uncanny X-men #266, while Jubilee apears in #244. While this doesn't have any bearing on character choices for the movie, it interesting. Hank McCoy aka Beast appears in a cameo as like in X-men #1, 1963. I'm sure in X3, there will be plenty of room for new characters. I heard Halle, Famke Jansen, and James Marsden won't be back, but nothing is set in stone yet. Support X2, if you want an X3. I am..numerous times, I have vacation!!
Other comic book notes:
Angel appears in X-men #1, 1963, but as Archangel in X-Factor #23/24, after Apocalypse appears in X-Factor #5/6.
Beast appears as the blue creature we reconize him now as, in Amazing Adventures #11. Giant Size X-men #1 intro's Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Firestar, and War path. Kiity Pryde appears in Uncanny X-men #129, Pyro in #141, and Mystique in Ms. Marvel #17/18. Nominations for X3: expanded role for Colossus, Gambit, Angel. Villans: either the Sentinels (Uncanny X-men #14) or Mr. Sinister (Uncanny X-men # 221).
LotR: RotK who? Matrix who? This year for me is all about X2!
Old 04-27-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Comic book storylines and origins really mean nothing for the movie. You can look at Rogue as an example. There's no justification for what characters make the cut aside from what Bryan Singer and the writers decide. Could they have included Gambit? Certainly. But for one reason or another they decided to use other characters. No big loss.

Although its always nice to see more characters, there are so many people that have been an X-Man that its impossible to please everyone. I think everyone will be back for a 3rd movie, but if not i think it would be a perfect time to go for a "we need to recruit new X-Men" story.

As for me, i'd like to see Psylocke if they include her costume

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.