Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Reviews wanted: Disney DVDs like Savage Sam, Apple Dumpling Gang, Snowball Express

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Reviews wanted: Disney DVDs like Savage Sam, Apple Dumpling Gang, Snowball Express

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disney has been releasing various pan & scan (or maybe open matte?) live action movies on DVD through Buena Vista. I have not found a review of any of these anywhere on the net. It's almost like no one knows or cares they exist. Since I'm a big fan of old Disney movies I'd like to know if any of the transfers are tolerable. I can live without extras and I don't expect DD5.1 remixes of stuff probably filmed in stereo or mono, but I do care about cropping of the picture (or pan & scan). I'm most interested in Savage Sam since it is the only one I've never seen on any format (because the Disney Channel never played it).

If anyone knows where to find some reviews for any titles on this list, or if anyone has seen any of these DVDs and know it has an acceptable transfer without picture cropping, please let me know:

Apple Dumpling Gang
Biscuit Eater
Computer Wore Tennis Shoes
Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit
King of the Grizzlies
Moon Spinners
Rascal
Savage Sam
Snowball Express
Old 04-24-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moderator post:

Just noting that usually this kind of thing isn't permitted - we encourage people to request reviews only for one DVD, or for a comparison of two DVDs. That keeps the forum orderly and improves the accuracy of our search engine.

However, in this limited circumstance where your query is likely to produce only a few responses, I'll let it go.

- David Stein
Old 04-26-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Apple Dumpling Gang??? I know the sequel was released....do not believe the original is on dvd.
Old 04-26-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You're right. I meant The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again.

It looks like there aren't going to be any answers here, probably because so few people know about these old Disney movies. I have found nothing elsewhere on the Internet. I can't think of anything else to do to find out for-sure if these are pan & scan before I buy them, and Disney/Buena Vista knows nothing about what they sell, so I can't buy them even though Snowball Express and Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit are among my favorite Disney movies. A while ago I requested info on these DVDs on alt.video.dvd and got no responses. It's sad to be so alone in my fondness for old Disney movies, especially those with Dean Jones and Kurt Russell.

Any suggestions on how to find more info would be appreciated. Until then I have to stick to my rule of avoiding any DVD that is not LBX'd unless I find out it's open matte or the cropping is minimal. I didn't ask about The Absent Minded Professor or Gus because I already know those are both severely cropped.
Old 04-26-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't ask about The Absent Minded Professor or because I already know those are both severely cropped.
Never mind cropped, but colorized as well.