Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you know anybody who has been in a movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-23-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It doesn't matter if its an extra or what
My music tech teacher was in a little movie that did well at sundance called "the lottery incident" about a person who thinks they won the lottery, but due to his psychological problems, he got the numbers mixed up. There are a lot of areas that I recignize since it was shot in the reisterstown/owings mills area, and the opening was shot in downtown baltimore. (my teacher was the psychologist)
And my cats grandfather was the cat that was featured in "thunderball" (so he is sort of the inspiration for Mr. Bigglesworth)
Old 04-23-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy's cousin is Frank Whaley...I don't really know him, but I've met him--that's about as close as I get to knowing anyone in the movies.
Old 04-23-03, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back in 1997 my friend wanted to be an extra in "Snake Eyes" which was being shot in the old Montreal Forum (for the boxing sequences).

My friend also wanted to meet or at least SEE Nicolas Cage but after a couple of days work as an extra he told me he only saw "Fred" (Cage's stand-in hehe). He enjoyed his experience, got some free food and a t-shirt.

At the time I was working security at the "Metropolis" which is a 3000 seat venue. That night "INXS" was playing (sadly Michael Hutchence passed away some 3 months later) . Before the show starts I'm heading to the bar to get a bottle of water and who do I see walking towards me? Nicolas Cage!! I shook his hand, welcomed him to Montreal and told him how memorable he was in SNL when he did "Tiny Elvis"

He told me he was surprised I remembered that SNL bit ("look at that salt shaker.... It's HUUUUGE!!) and I said it was a change from people saying "I'm a huge fan" or "Love your work" heh.

He was real nice and didn't ooze "Star pretentiousness" like other actors I met while working there.

Oh and my friend is in "Snake Eyes". He just can't see himself since he was sitting in the nosebleeds...
Old 04-23-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I used to work with the guy who played the judge in Serial Mom.

He was an oral-b toothbrush rep at the time.

Very nice guy.
Old 04-23-03, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
If you look real close in the crowd scenes between the semi-final and final matches in Karate Kid 3, you'll see me
Old 04-23-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also the people who we got our cats from, also shot the scene with the golf ball going threw the window in one of the addams family movies.
Old 04-23-03, 08:21 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My wife was an extra in two scenes of The Godfather Part II. Some of her elementary class (she grew up in Little Italy) was asked to be extras and she got picked.

She was one of the young church girls in the prosession during the street feast (flash back scene with young Vito on the roof tops). She was also one of the school girls who was screaming when they tried to whack Frank Pentangeli at the bar.

On a side note, my wife and I ended up getting married in the same church they used in the baptism scene (Old St. Patricks on Mulberry St.).

BTW, she still has her pay stubs and remembers complaing to Coppola about how cold it was.

Last edited by dgc; 04-23-03 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-23-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Natural was filmed in nearby Buffalo. They used to bus extras in from Rochester for the stadium crowd scenes. A few friends of mine at the time were extras. They were kind of stupid though, they basically did it for the free party and to try and meet Robert Redford. One did get an autographed baseball. I don't think any of them ended up in a prominent place in movie history. They would duck out when it was time to be in the scene.
Old 04-23-03, 09:17 PM

My dad is friends with The Little Mermaid (the voice). Also, well he's not an actor, but the producer of X-Men and Planet of the Apes and some Star Trek movies. I've met them all.
Old 04-23-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My cousin is in Jerry Maguire. They asked for Cardinals fans to come to Sun Devil Stadium to be in Jerry Maguire and i don't know if he was lucky or if there were just no other cardinals fans or maybe both.
Old 04-23-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to rent videos to a local comedian, DeRay Davis. A year later, I put in Barbershop - lo and behold, there's the fella. He's "Hustler Man" - constantly coming in to the barbershop hawking crap. I'm proud of him - he's a funny guy and I'm glad to see he's moving up.

I was invited to the shoot of Jersey Girl (frequent poster on the View Askew site), but didn't go. A good few of my fellow poster friends did, though. Two of said posters were also invited to LA by Kevin Smith to watch the first cut of the film. Every now and then, they like to rub it in that they've seen the film.

The fight co-ordinator for the play I'm in, Chuck Coyle, has been orchestrating stage-fights for years. Once, I asked him if there's ever been an actor he couldn't train. He mentioned a time when he was doing choreography for a stage production of The Three Musketeers, and there was one terrific actor who couldn't handle a sword to save his life. That man, Chris Cooper, just won an Oscar.

Chuck was recently in London for a show, and house-sitting for his friend who's off doing the fight choreography for Wolfgang Petersen's Troy. Apparently, Brad Pitt is only good at one thing; smoking. Every three swipes with a sword, he's apparently coughing his lungs out, asking for a time-out.

I used to rent videos to a Movie tutor/Babysitter; she took care of the stars' kids while they were shooting a film. A few stories about Gary Sinise...

That's it really.

[Knowing foreshadowing] FOR NOW! [/Knowing foreshadowing]
Old 04-23-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
A friend of mine was in the Michael J Fox movie Light of Day. I guess its some scene in a club where MJF takes a whizz in the bathroom, my friend is at the urinal next to him. I think they speak.

Some friend I am since I haven't seen it yet.

SPY
Old 04-23-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A kid at my HS that graduated a year after me was in Forrest Gump. He was one of the kids on the bus near the beginning of the film.
Old 04-23-03, 11:02 PM

I myself am in a lot of home movie videos from tourists all over the world. Enerytime I see a group of tourist filming something, I manage to get in the shot for a couple of seconds. I know I've probably been on the tv screen of some french, german, brittish, chinese, japanese, american, canadian, italian and south american famillies. And I've done it on three different continents jst to make sure people would know I travelled a bit.

I keep telling myself that I may become a star one day and I'm doing them a favor since they'll be able to sell bootleg movies of me on E-bay.
Old 04-23-03, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

a bunch of people I know including myself are in the crowd for Blue Chips. The basketball scenes were filmed at my high school in Indiana. At the very start of the movie you can see my middle school vice principal selling concessions.
Old 04-24-03, 01:20 AM

a neighbor of mine was used as an extra in beverly hills cop 3 when it was filming at a local amusement park.
Old 04-24-03, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My dad was in a couple Andy Sidaris films. Officially listed as a "stunt man," his signature move is to be shot by a former playboy bunny then fall over a railing. I'm so proud.
Old 04-24-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,213 Posts
My junior high school guidance counselor (Kelly Toomey) was in The River, with Mel Gibson and Sissy Spacek. She had 8-10 lines of dialogue but that was her only movie credit.
Old 04-24-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
Yep, me. I am the security guard who calls in the alarm during the opening credits of Company Business. I got to meet Gene Hackman that night, really nice man. I also got to work with director Nick Meyers for over an hour just shooting my 10 seconds of screen time. Sadly, the sound was bad and they eventually dubbed me over. My ex-wife was in The Innocent and actually exchanged lines with Anthony Hopkins. She described him as a sweetheart. He lunched with the crew and extras rather than in his trailer and during breaks filming a scene in a nightclub he played the piano and sang for everyone. I auditioned for that one with John Schlesinger himself, but did not get cast.
Old 04-24-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My sister in law was an extra in just about every movie shot in Portland in the mid 90's. She deserves an IMDB credit, she's been featured in so many shots.
Old 04-24-03, 08:41 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
A friend of mine had a small role in Birdy.
Old 04-24-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Cousin was the little buddha (no, not Kiano Reeves, the kid)
Old 04-24-03, 10:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
One of my friends from when i was younger was in "the neverending story" part 2.

we were living in germany (dad was in the military), and that's where some of it was filmed. He's in the scene at the beginning where the main kid won't dive off the diving board.
Old 04-24-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I was an extra in an 80's teen comedy called "My Best Friend Is A Vampire"
Old 04-24-03, 11:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
a friend of mine and her sister were in the Don Johnson/Melanie Griffith film "Born Yesterday" they were featured very prominently in a very extended scene on the Lincoln Memorial steps

Her mother also does alot of 'extra' work she was in "Silence of the Lambs" and the Cher flick "Suspect"

A friend of mine was also an extra in "In the Line of Fire" a blink and you'll miss him kind of shot.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.